Author Topic: '82 Runs smooth then dies when coming to stop?  (Read 1122 times)

Lonestar Honcho

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
'82 Runs smooth then dies when coming to stop?
« on: Mar 29, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »
Hey guys... I'm asking one last time for some help before I take it to a mechanic. I've been having this problem for awhile now. I can't take it any longer! :smack:

This problem has to do with my '82 Toy. fresh 22R.
Here's the scoop. When I get up in the morning to go to work it starts right up. Get to work to open the gate the truck falls flat on its face. Motor dies for no reason. Starts back up but as soon as I try to get it to idle it dies. Wait a couple of hrs. it will start right up and run smooth as silk. Get on the highway and I can feel it "cut out" on me. Like its hesitating. Get to a stop sign near my house, hit the clutch, it dies. Starts back up. Go to back into my driveway, hit the clutch, it dies. Won't idle for crap! Run an errand later it runs again as smooth as silk...WTF!!! This has been the story that seems to go on forever. :help:

Posted this problem on here awhile ago and got a suggestion it was my ignition module. Didn't work. Used another used ign. module, same scenario.
Took the suggestion of a member here and re-did my ignition module using a GM module. Didn't work to stop the problem. Same scenario.
Checked and double checked my vacuum lines. Same scenario.

Does anyne have a schematic of a stock 22r carb? Or a suggestion? I really don't want to take it to a mechanic. I feel I should be able to fix this with y'alls help.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! :clap: :clap: :clap:
DD '82 Toyota 4WD LWB, L-52HD, 31" BFG's, 3" Skyjacker, Orig. Blue paint with AC.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: '82 Runs smooth then dies when coming to stop?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2011, 09:47:39 PM »
my 83 stock carb has a elt. valve on the idle curcit. has a wire coming from it. look to see if yours has a wire from the carb. needs 12V. to it to idle. when cold the choke will make it idle.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: