Author Topic: Starting a Mazda/Toyota/Chevy/Cummins hybrid for a driving/hound/trail rig  (Read 1947 times)

mackdog

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
I have a factory regular cab 1986 Mazda B2600 that I use as a driving/hunting and bit of a wheeling/trail rig.  It does surprisingly well for an IFS pu.  The hybrid I am planning right now will be an extended cab Mazda cab and frame, cummins 4bt engine, chevy tranny/tcase and toyota axles.  I have a set of 1985 toy axles, Mazdas are a dime a dozen and good old chevy parts aren't hard to come by.  The 4bt will be the hardest to find but I hope to pick up a bread van so I can pull the fuel and cooling system with the motor.  I haven't decided on suspension, I will probably go with full size springs because of the heavy motor and flatbed with accessories and so on.  This will be a highway, hunting and hound rig with wheeling capabilities (air lockers, 35's and what not).  Won't happen over night but I'm collecting parts now.  Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
 :welcome:  II   :turtle: make sure to start a build thread for this one sounds like an interesting one.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
 :welcome:

You should put a 13B engine into it..............

:yupyup: :yupyup:
Me

mackdog [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '11
    • View Profile
The only issue with the 4BT is the weight.  I'm looking for power to pull a trailer with 4wheelers or snowmobiles and still have effeciency.  Where I hunt there is usually a pretty good highway drive and I want something that will perform half way decent on pavement.  I would think that with the right leaf springs and axle mods, it shouldn't be too bad.  I would consider other motors, the 4.3 vortec is one I've thought about to do the swap.  I like the 4BT or another diesel because of the alternative fuels.

874runnertoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
 :welcome: 2 marlin sounds cool man can wait to see in the works

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Sounds like a sweet project. Can't wait to see a build up on it.  :welcome: from N. Ca
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
welcome from truckee
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon