Author Topic: Not another gearing question!!  (Read 3202 times)

PLyota84

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
Not another gearing question!!
« on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
I know this has been posted many a times but just need some input.

Finally gathered the funds to move up to 35s with some new gears and lockers. I went down to pro gear axle in SD and talked to mark, the owner, and after a good while of talking he wants to put in 4.88s if im running a 35" tires. Doing the math he says i should be doing about 3000 RPMs at 70 mph on the freeway. He said 5.29s would be too much gear and would be high RPMs on the freeway. After everything I have read the general consensus seems to be 5.29 for a 35" tire. So i dont know what to do here. I just want to get some input from people actaully running this setup before i put down the cash. He also said 5.29s are going to break extremely easy on a toyota axle, and the 4.88s will be a much stronger choice. otherwise i will be replacing gears alot. as well as when i put in a crawl box the 4.88s will be a better choice. I just want to know some other peoples opinion on the matter. How are 5.29s with 35s on the freeway (Hows the speed with a 22R) and any problems with breaking the R&P.

As of now my truck will be sitting on 31s still thanks to some :moon: in a ford sport trac who doesnt like to use his turn signal, and stop in the road on a blind corner. but thats a whole different story.
STOLEN!!! 84 SR5 XtraCab, 22r, stock cases:(, 5.29s ARB F&R HP/V6, 35" MTRs w/ Kevlar, 15x8 black steelies, Caged and Armored

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Not another gearing question!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »
5.29s are fine... the reason they brek is because crappy shops don't set them up properly....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

minicrawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 388
  • Member since Oct '09
  • BAM!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
that is certainly a reason they break but it also has to do with the width of the ring gear, being as it is smaller to accomadate the extra teeth and the pinion is also, correct? That is what i hear and i have seen them break. I daily drove my truck with 36's and 4.10 gears for quite some time and at times it sucked but i dealt with it. Put your money in the T-cases thats what i say!
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2011, 04:45:30 PM by minicrawlin »
the rocks Rock in South D SON!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
PLyota84 I would be looking for a different shop to do the work.   
Ive run 35's and 5.29's for 3 years now and have no problem running 80 mph on the interstate or pulling a 900 pound tandem axle trailer with another toyota on it at hwy speeds.  Ive also wheeled the piss out of it.

with 35's you need the 5.29's to put the cruising speed in the sweet spot of the torque curve to get the best fuel mileage.
I know a few guys that run 36's with stock gears and they always complain that there trucks are dogs and they need a v8 then i go past them going up hill pulling a loaded trailer as they are struggling to make it up the hill in 3rd gear.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:31:39 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that the shop owner is trying to talk you into 4.88's because he has a set he's wanting to get rid of at your expense.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

minicrawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • BAM!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
PLyota84 I would be looking for a different shop to do the work.  
Ive I know a few guys that run 36's with stock gears and they always complain that there trucks are dogs and they need a v8 then i go past them going up hill pulling a loaded trailer as they are struggling to make it up the hill in 3rd gear.

ha ha For the record i've never whined about needing a V8, unless it was an LS7 but then i'd also need new running gear! My trucks 22R celica race engine does just fine with the stock gearing and i actually blow past most my buddys (save for the v6 and supra buddys) up hills but there is a sweet spot thats for sure. I believe there is a calculation for this and it ends up with 4.88's for 35's but i could be wrong!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:36:38 PM »
He also said 5.29s are going to break extremely easy on a toyota axle, and the 4.88s will be a much stronger choice.
:rofl:   5.71's are the gears most think will break not 5.29's  the 5.29's are not thin or weak little gears that are going to break.
the 5.29's I got from Marlin are almost identical in thickness of the ring gear as the gears I had.

If you can work on your truck but cant set up gears just order them (the already set up 3rd) from Marlin then you'll never have to worry about them again.

Mnmstoy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 230
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Mike's 80Toy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:38:46 PM »
I ran 5.29 gears with 36" tires never had a problem and I was able to use 5th gear.
Maybe not the best MPG at 16.5 with heavy tires and rims (H1's and 36 hummer tires).
RPM's were around 2800-3000 W56 transmission/20R engine. Moderate wheeling.
Way better then the 4.37's and 5th gear was useless.  
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2011, 06:14:29 PM by Mnmstoy »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

ha ha For the record i've never whined about needing a V8, unless it was an LS7 but then i'd also need new running gear! My trucks 22R celica race engine does just fine with the stock gearing and i actually blow past most my buddys (save for the v6 and supra buddys) up hills but there is a sweet spot thats for sure. I believe there is a calculation for this and it ends up with 4.88's for 35's but i could be wrong!
um, do you live in Arkansas??  cause I have no idea who you are.   calculation yes 4.88's NO

minicrawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • BAM!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
um, do you live in Arkansas??  cause I have no idea who you are.   calculation yes 4.88's NO

why the hell would i wanna live in Arkansas man?! ha ha ha jk   No i live in SD, i was just speaking from personal experience with the blowing peoples doors off with my 22R up hills. . .  So whats the calculation say? 5.29's are great gears no doubt, and i say the lower the better man! But i started off with putting money into the t-cases first cuz that just seemed logical. you cant achieve a low low crawl ratio with only axle gears but you can always add it later! my two cents.

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:05:03 PM »
Ive heard all ive needed to hear and i am sold on the 5.29s no matter what the guys at pro gear say. Everyone on this forum and TTORA have agreed on the 5.29s. Mark will surely try to talk me out of it before i order the gears but he seems to like to talk alot. I would order the Marlin set up 3rd, But i dont have the $$$. He has offered to set up the front and rear with detroits and whatever gearing i choose for a good price. Ive heard good reviews about his work, and he is a friend of my autoshop teacher. Last time I was in there we were talking about the first time he met Marlin. Unless anyone has some personal expercience with his work i plan to have him do the gearing, he does gurantee his work. But this will not be for a while due to the fact that i have to pay to fix the POS sport trac,
STOLEN!!! 84 SR5 XtraCab, 22r, stock cases:(, 5.29s ARB F&R HP/V6, 35" MTRs w/ Kevlar, 15x8 black steelies, Caged and Armored

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »
why the hell would i wanna live in Arkansas man?! ha ha ha jk   No i live in SD, i was just speaking from personal experience with the blowing peoples doors off with my 22R up hills. . .  So whats the calculation say? 5.29's are great gears no doubt, and i say the lower the better man! But i started off with putting money into the t-cases first cuz that just seemed logical. you cant achieve a low low crawl ratio with only axle gears but you can always add it later! my two cents.
I did dual cases several years ago and it was a BLAST, I ran them with my 32's and 4.37's for a LONG time. then I had a bad wreck and all that went to hell.  I was gifted some 5 inch springs for the rebuild and so I used some of the insurance money to buy 5.29's and found myself some used 35's.  the 35's and 5.29's are a little better gearing than the 32's and 4.37's.

get quality gears and have them set up RIGHT and you'll never have to worry.
If they make noise or whine going down the hwy they aint set up right.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:08:52 PM »
Ive heard all ive needed to hear and i am sold on the 5.29s no matter what the guys at pro gear say. Everyone on this forum and TTORA have agreed on the 5.29s. Mark will surely try to talk me out of it before i order the gears but he seems to like to talk alot. I would order the Marlin set up 3rd, But i dont have the $$$. He has offered to set up the front and rear with detroits and whatever gearing i choose for a good price. Ive heard good reviews about his work, and he is a friend of my autoshop teacher. Last time I was in there we were talking about the first time he met Marlin. Unless anyone has some personal expercience with his work i plan to have him do the gearing, he does gurantee his work. But this will not be for a while due to the fact that i have to pay to fix the POS sport trac,
if your in SD  do NOT lock your front diff if you ever plan to drive on the road with it during a snow storm.
and Marlin has a 5.29 locked 3rd for sale now for $639

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »
whats the specs on this Celica engine??   my 22R is extremely modified and running approx 170 hp

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
I do have warn manual hubs on the front, so with the hubs unlocked the detroit will not be engaged in the front. And I live no where near where it snows. Im from PL :booya: and never have to drive on icy/snowy roads. Unless i decide to do some wheeling in the snow

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »
oh yeah and SD means San Diego, California. :biggthumpup: just incase you were thinking of somewhere else

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2011, 09:41:30 PM »
with 35's you need the 5.29's to put the cruising speed in the sweet spot of the torque curve to get the best fuel mileage.

X2 

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
Just got off the phone with owner of pro gear axles. The guy would not even listen to me. As soon as i brought up the 5.29s he said go have someone else do it. Would not even listen to what i had to say. I dont know whats his problem but looks like I am taking my business elsewhere.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2011, 06:10:09 PM »
Yup, sounds like he has a set of gears he is looking to off load.  Go with 5.29s & find someone else to install or if you have the tools & time do it yourself.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2011, 08:07:18 PM »
Just got off the phone with owner of pro gear axles. The guy would not even listen to me. As soon as i brought up the 5.29s he said go have someone else do it. Would not even listen to what i had to say. I dont know whats his problem but looks like I am taking my business elsewhere.
good call :thumbs:  cause its VERY obvious he wanted to sell some gears he had that could have possibly been bad.

btw to most people SD stands for South Dakota, the same as CA stands for California, AR stands for Arkansas.   so just where the heck is PL :dunno:

PLyota84 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:09:36 PM »
Sorry for any mix up in that, not used to dealing with the national crowd, In southern california you say SD and everyone knows what your talking about. PL stands for Point Loma best part of San Diego, California. 75 degrees and sunny in the middle of december. You can go from surfing at the beach in the morning and drive an hour to the mountain to go snowboarding, skiing, wheelin, whatever. Our own little paradise

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 02, 2011, 11:53:14 PM »
make a trip up to san gabriel and check out randy's off road in azusa, same price as marlins, but will give you a full parts refund. and he will talk you out of an idea before he tries to sell it to ya.  :hammerhead: