Author Topic: What about FJ-80 front axles?  (Read 9187 times)

86yota

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
What about FJ-80 front axles?
« on: Jan 13, 2005, 05:44:13 PM »
I know everyone pulls FJ-80 high pinion pumpkins out and puts them in 79-85 housings, but what about just using the whole axle.  I dont know much about these axles as I have never seen or worked on one.  I read somewhere that they are 63 inches wide.  Are they pass side drop?  Are they prety much the same as a mini truck axle, just wider?  Are the knuckles and spindles the same?  What does everyone think about using one in a mini truck?

86yota

• Marlin Crawler
Re: What about FJ-80 front axles?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2005, 09:05:33 PM »
Where you at fireball?  I know you know.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2005, 10:12:11 PM »
Pardon me for lookin like a dummy, but what's the width of the truck axle?  Are you gonna use the coil setup from the cruiser, or set it up for leafs?  It'd be pretty bitchin to have coils in front, but a lot of work to get it set up right, but then again I'd rather have something a little different if I were going to all that trouble,    Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2005, 01:11:08 PM »
pickup/runner front axle is 55.5" wide.

fj80 housing is good if you want extra width...i'd run something like a tacoma rear to match it, as the fj80 has an offset rear diff.  the 80's birfields are also a lot bigger and stronger than truck birfs

86yota

• Marlin Crawler
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2005, 07:04:56 PM »
Yea, there 55.5"  If I did it I probably would run a leaf spring setup, just because of my own rule that I have for my trucks.  That rule is "if I cant fabricate it my self I wont run it."  I was just kind of kicking this "FJ-80 front/T-100 rear" idea around.  It won't happen for a while.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:40:56 AM »
OOOOHHHH YYYYAAAAAA, much bigger birfs. So far, I am very happy with my 80 front.
Yes=63", yes=pass side drop.
Biggest down fall is the steering arm location. They come off the bottom of the knuckle, then bend and anle up to about the middle of the housing. The cool part is that the tie rod is behind the housing, the bad part is it's below the third member. The other prob is that the top caps on the knuckle have only 2 bolts, so using a hy-steer arm isn't doable. But don't fear, there are still some options. I think it's OTT that makes arms for the top of the knuckle that use the 2 bolts, and then the ABS bolt hole also. They look pretty good. The only thing I didn't like about them was they moved the tie rod in front of the axle, so it has the same set up as a mini truck.
I wanted to keep my tie rod behind, and also move everything up, so I fabbed my own arms. I used the 2 studs, and then welded a verticle gusset to the knuckle that gives lateral support to the steering arm (helps reduce the push pull forces on the studs) Then the arm is drilled and tapped and bolts come through the side of the gusset into the arms to hold it all togeather nice and tight. The holes in the gussets are slightly over sized to allow for differant shim thicknesses so knuckle pre load can still be adjusted.
It's some more work, but I think is was worth the effort, and the cool factor is right up there. It's fun to sit back a ways and watch guys try and figure out what is so differant about that toyota front end. (it looks like a mini, but i'm not sure)
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2005, 08:45:01 AM by FIREBALL »

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:47:58 AM »
Oh ya, i'm using a tacoma rear with the elocker and 1 1/4" wheel spacers.

Max Heintz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 126
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 18, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »
they are harder to find then mini axles

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 03:12:48 PM »
how about some more pictures of Fireballs setup. i found a 80 front and really want it.  only thing holding me back is hysteer. FIREBALL, i have a few questions.  so you have hysteer but the tie rod is stll behind the axle? you didnt weld the arm to the axle, did you? please help, i really want this axle
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

Mace

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '03
  • Welcome to the Forums
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 08:57:37 PM »
OTT does not make the arms anymore (unless you manage to talk them into it)  Slee Ofroad does make some new arms tho.  Nice stuff.

You would be better off having a Diamond housing made to fit your specs, no outboarding of springs necessary.  And some 30 spline longs. 

80 birfs are bigger but the knuckles are weaker.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2007, 06:10:50 PM »
Well, I don't know about the knuckles being weaker. They're bigger and they're designed and attached the same way as the mini truck knuckles.
I'm not sure what the diamond axles cost, but that may be a better way of going. The steering issue is a PIA to make strong and reliable.
No, the arms are not welded on my setup. I built my own arms using the 2 stock mounting bolts, then I welded a gusset on the top of the knuckle that fit up against the arm to support the lateral loading. I also had bolts that came through those gussets into the arm from the side to try and tie everything togeather and make it as strong as possible. I never had one break, but until I had at least 5 years of wheelin I can't say if it was a good setup or not.
I can say that if I was going to build another heavy rig like a runner that I would just go with a dana 60 right from the begining and if I was building a lighter weight pickup I'd use a mini front with longs.

toy4x4ota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 468
  • Member since May '05
  • learning how to drive
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 10:14:09 PM »
thanks for the comments
Liqour in the front   Poker in the rear

LIFTED TRUCKS ARE GAY

85 toy, 223:1, welded/welded, 38's, running on PANE

ATLRoach

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -210
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2007, 05:33:45 AM »
I know I'm late to comment on this but there is no problem with a FZJ80 rear axle offset, It's only 2" from stock. I'm the only one I know of with a leaf sprung one.

Kyle
03 Tundra
85 4Runner (bobbed, locked, geared, longed and paned)

orygunner

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -42
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 08, 2007, 08:02:54 AM »
got a build thread on that rig, I am going to build a truggy thing with a fj 60 front, was going to go ford 9 rear

ToYocRawleR

• Gettin' Loose!!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 3,110
  • Member since Oct '05
  • The Homie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 08, 2007, 12:37:14 PM »
Im running the fj80s with leaf springs also.  you can see em in my build.
-
Rigs:
05 F-250 Powerstroke
93 RunneR ...Build-up  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=85644.0

fortysixandtwo - I drove through Dunsmuir once I dont think anything there is "super nice"
Just kidding man. I guess there is, its your bed