Author Topic: Front tires and steering wheel SHAKING ? GOT IT FIXED  (Read 9053 times)

Offroadassassin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Front tires and steering wheel SHAKING ? GOT IT FIXED
« on: Jan 15, 2011, 11:47:10 AM »
3rd time ive driven my new toy got it to 3rd gear and the steering wheel started shaking where i had no control.
i look @ the tire and they were shaking hard back and forth. any help would be grate its a 1980 with alot done.
aired down 2 25psi. and took it for another drive had my bro hang his head out the window and he said the tire would wobble up and down not so much side 2 side
and it only seemd to happen when i hit a bump with 1 tire
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 05:31:27 PM by Offroadassassin »

SpencerS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
Give us a little more details.

What are the specs of your truck?
Does it have high steer?

Did you yank on the tire to see if you heard a clunk?

Try a few troubleshooting ideas.
-Jack up the front end, grab the tire, and see if there is any play what so ever
-also you can try what i said above. While its on the ground grab the top of the tire and yank on it hard

If there is any play or clunks in the wheel your going to have to pull your knuckles off and inspect the bearings and probably have to rebuild em.

Also inspect your steering rod and drag link.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
Get a alighment done.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
 i couldnt wiggle them so i jacked it up still no wiggle. poped the hood looked @ the power steering pump may have a small leak? fluid is full. grabbed the steering shaft that goes into the box it has a lil play but im not sure if that normal?

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
how would i tell if it has high steer?

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
does your steering cross over from your steering box to the pass side of the truck or go directly to the knuckel on the drivers side if its the drivers side you definantly do not have hi steer thats the factory push pull steering but judging from the height of the truck in you pic you must have hi steer other wise that could be your problem too much lift for the factory steering setup
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
 I do have High Steer.  THANKS FOR LEARNING ME

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
then something has to be loose underthere a joint or something the power steering leak will not cause this unless your pump is locking up and in this case all you are feeling is the effects of going from no pwr steering to having it and back all the time start your truck and turn the wheels from full turn one way to full turn the other way and see if it does the same thin whil not moving
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
Your tires need to come in a little
Make sure you tighten your jam nuts on the high steer
This might take a few times to get right!!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Get a alighment done.

X2. A lot, if not all of death wobble issues tend to stem from a bad alignment.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
x2 ? sorry im a newbie , and yeah death wobble :wiggle:
« Last Edit: Jan 15, 2011, 01:58:25 PM by Offroadassassin »

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
It means he would say the same thing, or agrees
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Thanks agin my girlfriends redneck brother is smart with these things im trying to get him over here today to take a look at it.

possume22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
sounds like the tires need balancing since it doesnt sart till 3 rd gear what tires are under your ride

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
 i bought the truck drove it 15 miles home drove like a dream. sat in the driveway for a few days 1 tire went low so i put air in it checked all tires and had the all at 32psi.
so thats the only thing ive done to this truck. now i got wobbles. aired the psi. down to 25. drove it some more its not a speed thing its more when i hit a bump

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
where you from? what tires are on it?

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
35 bfg Baja T/A, hanford

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
The death wobble, shaking starting when hitting a bump is a classic sign of a algnment issue. It cant hurt either way. Get a re balance at the same time too

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
Your tires may be out of round which theres really nothing you can do about it other then get new tires. An alignment may help but i aligned mine and it made no differance when the exact same thing was happening to me. And if it was a balencing issue bumps would not effect it and it would only be a slight vibe at high speeds. Before you do anything i would switch the front and rear tires and see if that makes a differance. I fixed my by doing that. Let me know i am very interested to find out wat it is.
Two questions, do you have a steering stableizer on it and does it go away if you go faster. It sounds kinda sketchy but it will narrow down the problem.
Hope this helps,
Anthony
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Two questions, do you have a steering stableizer on it and does it go away if you go faster. It sounds kinda sketchy but it will narrow down the problem.
Hope this helps,
Anthony

Back when I was having death wobble issues I started with a steering stabilizer and it didn't really do anything. My toe ended up being way off, corrected it and then it drove fine.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Thanks guys i will flip the front and rear see if thats it , my brother also thinks it might be toe. :dunno:
no stableizer . the one time i didnt let off it smoothed out but when it starts i let off and hold on

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Did you go thru and tighten all the nuts and bolts? Every thing in the front. If so, are your bushings good?

I am having the same issues with death wobble but after going thru the whole front end multiple times I have found that my tires just aren't balanced enough, I use BBs. Your BFG ATs should balance easily. Take it to a shop.

hawaiilux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
 was having a problem with my first gen put a 3" lift and drop drag link and 33/12.5 had 32/11.5 had vibration at 30 went away at 40. i put the 32s back on and no more wobble...think about what was done before it started to wobble if nothing then you have something broken u-joints/tie rods loose u bolts something in that area or just take to an aliment shop and they should be able to tell you whats wrong if you want to pay the money

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Check all your bolts, my stud were a tad loose and it caused then looked closer and i had a sheared stud, oops. No locker on 35s and still managed to shear one. But i got arp studs torqued and it doesn't wobble anymore

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
Standing in front of your truck, does your tires sit straight up? If not, then your trunnion bearings are probably shot.

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Took it to the local shop he said probly not the algnment maybe the steering box? i got till 5:30 to find out

« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 04:31:23 PM by Offroadassassin »

Offroadassassin [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
The U bolts were loose on the front end. I feel like a dumbass.
Everyone who helped thats alot, Marlin Crawler forums and the guys on here are the best  Thanks!

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
The U bolts were loose on the front end. I feel like a dumbass.
Everyone who helped thats alot, Marlin Crawler forums and the guys on here are the best  Thanks!

Don't worry, we've all been there. Good advice for future questions as this is a common topic.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
never even thought that could be the solution glad you got it figured out tho :thumbs:

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
sweet, now lets go wheeling............. bald mountain sat??