Author Topic: Need help with Welder  (Read 24737 times)

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with Welder
« Reply #60 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:31:12 AM »
No definitely the HD model. I was going to buy one from bud, needed liner, went to airgas, they told me all about it, quoted me for a liner. I then went online, not a seller site, no one trying to make money, a forum like marlin, and read reviews about it myself. From average joes, I was informed they would do what I wanted, BUT, it wasnt built near as well, or parts as avaiable as a normal lincoln model. Its very possible the 220 machine is totally different from the 110 machine, or it could just be the gun itself is bigger and different? If that issue was fixed, the only other issue I read about that some might care, is it had a lower duty cycle. Was advertised as more, but was actually less. Other than that, they did review good. Its just I wanted something I could find VERY LITTLE negative reviews on, because we all know you can find something bad about anything online.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Dec 20, 2010, 01:08:18 PM »
because we all know you can find something bad about anything online.
very true

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Dec 20, 2010, 11:05:40 PM »
well fist off if you have ever done lots of bend test you'll know that its almost impossible to crystallize steel using a standard mig process, you would realllly have to do something wrong, if anything its gonna be something along the lines of incomplete pen, contamination, or porosity.

second off i don't know where your getting a 6mm open root bend test from? i would love to see someone successfully do that properly with mig, not saying it cant be done but that's not right. unless im reading your info wrong. and when you say "5 passes as such", then do a picture that has 11 passes! i dont get it

third off most every machine that's remotely modern has an auto shut off when duty cycle is exceeded, so you cant damage the machine.

fourth it would be nearly impossible to burn up a tip/nozzle/or gun using mig. if you convert your machine to spray (not pulse spray but just spray) it happens all the time. or if your tig welding without the right size torch or style of torch, etc then yes it happens. but for you to do damage to what your stating i would have to hook up a 110v gun to a 220 machine and weld continuously with high amps.

fifth I wouldn't attempt a proper v-grove weld in 1 of 2 passes on 3/8s plate with a 110 welder but i sure as hell can do it properly with 4 passes. i dont know where some people get the idea that a 110v couldnt properly do a beveled full pen weld. dont get me wrong though, im not talking about industrial welding of 1/2 thick material, or grove welding all day. using a 110 would be a joke.

1. its not the welding that crystalizes the steel its the heat control of the steel,  more smaller passes allow the crystaline stucture of the weld and heat affected zone to form a smaller crystaline structure making for a stronger weld.
2. i suck at text art lol. the extra 5 "0's across the top represented a complete cover pass, my bad there. for caterpillar and john deere the first weld test that you do for certification is a 6mm open root bend test, at least thats the first one required by my employer, followed by groove weld and t-weld bend tests in all positions. the canadian welders bearue(sp) has the same weld test for structural plate certification. here in the states its AWS d1.1 standard.
3.auto shut-off is not a good failsafe to use, often times when it trips the heat limit it will pop your breaker, so the fan will no longer function to cool the machine until you have reset the breaker. letting your machine cook till you do. ive tripped 300 amp machines before welding with .035 wire, and much easier with .045 and .060 wire.
4. tips are called consumables because they are consumed in the process, ive had 350 amp tips melt into an L shape in the middle of a weld before. many times the tips get hot enough that you have a burn back into them melting the copper ruining the tip. ive had weeks where i used the same tip all week, and days where ive gone through 5. cones usually wear out moreso than "burn up" the fiberglass lining wears out and blocks the shield gas. and just so its out there pulse welding is even more anal about condition of tips than regular mig, ive changed out a tip that was no longer functional with pulse and then used the same tip in standard mig for quite a while no problem.
5. for my bend tests the machine was set at 24.5 volts 500 ipm, it takes 5 passes to fill the v groove and give a good cover pass, this is again in accordance with Caterpillar specifications.

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:40:29 AM »
w/e dude im not gonna argue anymore because everyone keeps changing and bending their info to try and make a point, so it wouldn't matter anyways. all i can say is we were never talking about welding 350 amps on 1"+ steel on caterpillar tractor's.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #64 on: Dec 21, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »
Funny, I think it started with someone looking to buy a welder. 

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Dec 21, 2010, 08:46:40 PM »
haha seriously

yoshaleng [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Dec 22, 2010, 12:33:01 AM »
I didn't think this thread would have so much confrontation.....thanks for your advices.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #67 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
I didn't think this thread would have so much confrontation.....thanks for your advices.

Did you figure out which welder yo are going to get ?

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #68 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
Did you figure out which welder yo are going to get ?

Wow, I didn't think I would get this much info with thread. Thanks again. Im gonna go get me that Miller 211 so I have the option to go back and on the voltage needed.

Was easy to miss with everything else, but I remembered it was in here somewhere  :thumbs:

yoshaleng [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:54:37 PM »
yes....going with a miller 211,,,not exactly the cheapest in price but it allows me to change from 110 to 220v when needed. miller 211 with 40lb tank for 1175.00

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #70 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:55:46 AM »
yes....going with a miller 211,,,not exactly the cheapest in price but it allows me to change from 110 to 220v when needed. miller 211 with 40lb tank for 1175.00

Sounds like an ok price, for a good welder.

yoshaleng [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Dec 24, 2010, 01:00:58 AM »
Thanks again for all of your inputs.

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Dec 24, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »
110v and 220v conversion is so convenient, your going to like it so much. 220 is always great to have but its a pain in the ass becasue you need the outlet and cant take your welder just anywhere. just having those 2 different options is well worth the money.

yoshaleng [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:42:41 PM »
I agree with you. I like it very much, welds awsome.

rockrash42

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:19:07 AM »
Some batt. hooked to leads and get some ! Then re charge lol