Poll

What would be easier: a full body swap or an interior swap?

Swap the entire body
Swap just the interior
It's a nightmare either way so don't bother

Author Topic: To body switch or not to body switch  (Read 3321 times)

BAMF

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
To body switch or not to body switch
« on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:19:55 AM »
So here is the deal.  I've had my baby for about 8 years now.  She's a 1985 4Runner 22RE that I've been wheeling, breaking, fixing and building up for awhile and is now getting to the point where I can be proud of her.  The problem is, my other baby (wife) likes to go wheeling but doesn't like the interior and wants it spruced up.  The interior isn't thrashed but it isn't pretty either.  Thieves ripped out the center console with the radio, ash tray, cigarette lighter and everything else, door panels fled the country awhile ago and are now painted sheet metal, the carpet is faded and worn, blah, blah, blah.
 :chicken:
Part II.  My parents need a 4x4 ranch type vehicle (they live where there is mild snow) that they can scratch up, track mud into, put a goat in the front seat, bump down logging roads, etc. So I found them a pretty sweet, basically stock, 1987 4Runner.  It's not a show room rig but has one of the nicest interiors I've ever seen on a 20+ year old 4Runner.  AND it's got a working inclinometer, it's got an interment cluster with a tach, clock, all the working bell and whistles and  buttons and switches and little things that pirate4x4 wheelers without wives would say a real wheeler doesn't need.  Hell, the back window even rolls up and down with the exterior key.  I forgot that was even an option.  The exterior isn't bad either, it's not perfect but no one would call you stupid for putting a coat of wax over it on a sunny Sunday afternoon.
Part III (where was Part I anyway?) What would be easier/more feasible?  Swapping the entire bodies or just the interior, dash, instrument cluster, etc.?  Unanswered questions on my part (yes, I know 'search button')  Does the 85 wiring harness already have have spots to plug in the inclinometer, tach, clock, etc. or would I have to wire that in myself if I just swapped dashes?  Is the ECU different? The 87 has cruise control, how does that play into things (I don't need it and could just ditch it). I'm working on the assumption that the body mounts are the same.  Am I just making an ass out of myself and umption by making such an assumption?  Should I just find a wife that doesn't mind my tired old interior?
Also, the 85 already has a body lift with sliders and bumpers welded to the frame so I'd have to add a body lift to the 87 if I swapped over.  I'm not really worried about the exteriors.  Both body's are mechanically straight with only minor dings and I could really care less about the paint and scratches.  I was plaining on rattle canning the 85 anyway.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: To body switch or not to body switch
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
i say just steal the parents interior.... sounds liek a lot less trouble, no legal issues of body swapping either
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

SpencerS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2010, 03:03:50 PM »
i did a body swap on my rig and getting it to a ref that would pass it was redic. But this is in california! where are you located?

BAMF [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »
Well, I'm not too worried about the VIN since a good buddy of mine is a VIN inspector for CA.  I've also got weekend access to a shop with several lifts so physically moving the bodies isn't too much of a worry.  My biggest worry is the wiring harness.

Does anyone know if Toyota just had a standard wiring harness so that extras could plug right in or are they substantially different?  The harness I've got on the bone stock 85 has extra plugs all over the place.  Even if I swapped the bodies wouldn't I have to swap the harnesses as well which of course would entail some amount of unplugging from the engine?  i.e. removing the upper air intake to access the harness and fuel injectors.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

87hillbillyoter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Mar '10
  • git er duuunnn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
i say just steal the parents interior.... sounds liek a lot less trouble, no legal issues of body swapping either

x2
1987 SAS'ed toyota 4x4 pickup 22re swap
build up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75111.0

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:17:35 PM »
Just swap 4runners...................
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BAMF [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:09:21 PM »
Well, at least no one has said I should get another wife...

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
Well, at least no one has said I should get another wife...
if u were thinking that option u should have put in the poll question lol jk
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

BAMF [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »
if u were thinking that option u should have put in the poll question lol jk
Actually I thought of it but them I'm sure everyone would have voted on that and then I'd have to put up a poll about divorce lawyers  :gap:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:04:33 PM »
swap the interior.

and where is the bacon option?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:31:13 PM »
Actually I thought of it but them I'm sure everyone would have voted on that and then I'd have to put up a poll about divorce lawyers  :gap:
maybe u can have ur wife swap it out  :biggthumpup: just tell her to do watever she thinks is easyer
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

BAMF [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:14:55 PM »
maybe u can have ur wife swap it out  :biggthumpup: just tell her to do watever she thinks is easyer
There we go, problem solved.  You sir, are obviously a man who knows his way around a problem.

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2010, 06:16:08 PM »
There we go, problem solved.  You sir, are obviously a man who knows his way around a problem.

hahahahahahahahaha  :rofl: yes sir i do

blumagoo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:20:51 PM »
I did a cab swap on my 85 It wasn't easy but it only took a weekend.
I used the wiring harness from the old cab, striped everything and piled it on the engine, then dropped on the new cab and put everything back in it's place. The faster you do it the less you'll forget.

The big pile of stuff you get out of the inside.

blumagoo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
O'yea, no legal issues, just put the vin tags from the old body on the new one.

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
NICE..FUN JOB HUH

Ghostrider

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:51:25 AM »
Actually there is another option if you have the money.  Take your vehicle to a place the does upholestry and turn them loose have them create you a new interior.  Wish I could afford to have some place do that to mine.  Then buy that other 4runner.  Best of all worlds