Author Topic: 3rz running like poo!!! Long with lots of details....in a bind  (Read 4521 times)

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Ok im sorry if this is long but Its been an issue a few days now and i have checked it out some and got some other ideas.... Just doesnt sem to be the answer tho...Here goes.

So 2weeks ago Saturday im moving my shop battery almost died cause the radio was on for a while. Fired right up and ran rough. Thinking maybe low volts to the coilpacks could have slightly flooded the cylinders..I let it run its getting better...So i take the truck to the gas station and its a nightmare. Anyways i try starting it a bunch and the cat winds up glowing...Have it towed to the shop then home cause my trailer leaf snapped as i was pulling it on.  :mad: Get it home and check the cat cause the guy that was sitting with me said it was glowing. Cats clear but pretty dark compared to how it was. Try running it open header and it didnt change anything...Winds up being a stupid issue with the pump falling off the pick up tube...I fix it, And replaced the lines with new lines cause the old ones were not set up like i wanted.  Truck fires up and drives great for a few days(2) Tons of trips back and forth to the shop and around town...anyways Last saturday i was doing a frontend on a 4runner and pulling out to go get parts the truck seemed kinda sluggish Didnt have my spare or tools or anything with me. so i was kinda weirded out.

Yesterday im driving home hand 2nd gear starts bucking...power no power power no power. with anything over 1/4 ish gas. Took it to the shop lastnight and most of the time at night in the cool air and empty my truck flys on the highway..hardly have to touch the gas to hold speed at 75..Lastnight with no wind it felt like i was in a heavy head wind and it would go away then back to heavy head wind. Struggled to hold 75 empty(keep in mind i have ran 95 with no effort so this is bad) Drove it in to town today and it ran ok no great and then it warmed up...Bucking again in 2nd so i shift out early and have no power at all just slugish 20r with 40's and no gears feeling. same head wind eelign at 65mph higway speeds and bucking every light i hit in 2nd. So tonight i had enough and was in town so i stopped at my buddy who also has a 3rz swap in his tacoma. I explain the issues and i forgot to list this in my rant so far but if its hot and you shut it off it takes a few trys to start it again. Cranks for a long period of time.  We pull the cat again..Less black and you can shine a dim light through it and see it clear as day through the honey comb stuff. Checking vac. lines, scan it and nothing. Cleaned the maf...nothing. I moved some fuel lines at the tank that was just out and the idle smoothed out a bit but when the were ziptied there the idle was smooth but still the issue all the way home.

My MPG is CRAP right now and the truck is almost undrivable and im moving my shop by the 14th and a house that sold by the 30th so a truck is a must. I grabbed seafoam, plugs, fuel filter is new OEM and has less then 8k on it. fuel lines all new not used, BG 44 k going inthe gas tonight and the seafom treatment and plugs. Everything seems the same as before the pump fell off...Keep in mind this tank was clean out spotless before i put it in and has been fine for 8k miles.

Ideas my friends have.

Pumps taking a crap.

Lame o2 sensor or both.

fuel filter clogged....not out of the question but nobody thinks it would be after 8k on an oem filter and clean gas from the same place everytime.

TPS

Vac leak...checked but came up again.

Fuel pump is fallingoff or the strainer is bunched up maybe smashed.

Wires to the pump or O2's arcing under load..only does this under load....like they are being pulled when the motor TQ's

No codes stored that we found....CEL has been on but only for VSS as always. (havent installed it)

Swap details.
00 tacoma 4wd doner Used full harness from the taco, Dash and OBDport included. only spliced wires were for the fuel level sendor and the pump to put it all in one plug and use the old tank. 87 tank with 3rz pump installed. Borla cat back, K&N intake for tacoma cleaned and hardly has any oil on it. OEM everything. I dont by anything but when it comes to the motor stuff. Gas is from the newest gas station running 91oct.NGK plugs from toyota in it now picked up the ngk irridum ones to try if they need to be done..but only have 8k on the ones in it.

Any and all help on this would be great!!!!

Thanks
Russell

Pics for clicks

The truck is babied and honestly hasn't been abused. Most of my driving is highway and i run 75-80mph no issues.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Seafoam made the bucking worse due to more power it feels like. WOW that was a ton of smoke...I always forget how bad that is. Both doors open on the garage and a fan at the tail pipe blowing out and i couldnt see the lights out side of the garage when it fired up. Reving it was insane...MAn that suff it fun lol...Plugs look good. No lean or rich condition. No vac leaks at all. Sprayed everything down with carb spray and double checked intake pipe for no holes even if the motor TQs in the truck.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
IDK if i said this but this is only under load.
My build

Quick Draw

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 250
  • Member since Feb '10
  • Her name is Doris.
    • View Profile
Doris used to the same thing when my float height bumped itself way too low.  So to me it sounds like a fuel issue...  I guess my bet would be that the incident last week pissed off your fuel pump or something.  But then again I really don't know much.  I might have a '87 EFI fuel pump around here if I look really hard...  In case you want to switch it out and see if that helps.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2010, 09:39:06 PM by Quick Draw »
'80 Pickup, 5VZ-FE engine, A340F transmission, Marlin gear drive adapter, Dual Ultimate transfer cases, 5.29 gears, Detroit rear/Lockrite front locker, 37" Goodyear MTRs, XRC8 winch, custom tube bed and armor

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I got a 3rz pump for tomorrow, 2 O2's and a fuel filter. I'm going to run over to colts and were going to knock it out....Im just going to throw all kinds of parts at it and hope it works out. I just dont have time to screw with it so Pump will be new again, O2's new again. fuel filter new again...Im just over the issues with this truck in this stressful time.
My build

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
My freind had this happen on his 3rz (in a taco).  I checked his fuel pressure at the fuel rail and it was too high (by only a couple psi)- which will make it run rich (i.e. bucking and loss of power, sooty exhaust, hard start....).  I told him to replace his fuel pressure regulator because everything else looked good and once he did, he hasn't had that problem again.  The regulator is that vacuum diaphram at the very front of the fuel rail with 2 10mm bolts holding it on - really easy to replace.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"