Author Topic: Any super tall first gen 4runner owners here?  (Read 3938 times)

talltatro

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Any super tall first gen 4runner owners here?
« on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:46:41 PM »
Hey all i am curious to see there are any tall people who drive first gen 4runners here. I am looking to pick up a 4runner soon and have only sat in 2nd gen and newer 4runners. I really like the look and functionality of the first gen ones though. Problem is I am 6'7. Its already a bit of a squeeze in any vehicle for me and i have been told the first gen runners are even smaller inside(I have never actually been in one). Any info or personal experience anyone would like to share. Thanks in advance.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Re: Any super tall first gen 4runner owners here?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2010, 07:52:59 PM »
I drive a 2nd and 3rd gen and I am 6' 5". I even find them more comfy them most other vehicles. cause you are flatter, i don't really like US trucks, you feel like you are sitting in a kitchen chair.

though 2" makes alot of difference. Nothing on the first gens though. 
If you see it, its for sale.

talltatro [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2010, 09:01:24 PM »
haha i know what you mean about the kitchen chair

Okiyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2010, 09:00:04 AM »
Im with Zippo, i think the toyotas are more comfortable because you sit flatter to the ground and your legs more out in front of you as opposed to up and down, like the kitchen chair analogy. 

As far as being tall, i'm 6'6" and i rotate daily driving duties between a 1982 and a 1986 single cab pickup.  My wife also has a 1985 4runner that splits family hauling duties with her FJ Cruiser.  I do feel cramped in my 82 and my 86, but honestly not that bad, i have done multiple trips in both that were over 5-6 hrs and no issues.  The 4runner does feel better than them but i think it is because the seat can actually recline a little.  I'm not going to say it is spacious and roomy, but it isnt terrible.  I bought the 4runner in Nebraska, flew in and drove it back (9.5 hrs) non-stop, didnt bother me a bit.  The 4runner is taking the whole family, dog included on a  1300 mile 21 hour (each way) road trip in November, done it a couple times in my old 3rd gen and i dont forsee this 4runner being any less comfortable.

talltatro [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
Im with Zippo, i think the toyotas are more comfortable because you sit flatter to the ground and your legs more out in front of you as opposed to up and down, like the kitchen chair analogy. 

As far as being tall, i'm 6'6" and i rotate daily driving duties between a 1982 and a 1986 single cab pickup.  My wife also has a 1985 4runner that splits family hauling duties with her FJ Cruiser.  I do feel cramped in my 82 and my 86, but honestly not that bad, i have done multiple trips in both that were over 5-6 hrs and no issues.  The 4runner does feel better than them but i think it is because the seat can actually recline a little.  I'm not going to say it is spacious and roomy, but it isnt terrible.  I bought the 4runner in Nebraska, flew in and drove it back (9.5 hrs) non-stop, didnt bother me a bit.  The 4runner is taking the whole family, dog included on a  1300 mile 21 hour (each way) road trip in November, done it a couple times in my old 3rd gen and i dont forsee this 4runner being any less comfortable.

Awesome thanks for the reply. I knew it wasnt going to be spacious and what not just didnt want it to be super unpleasant. Whatever i buy wont be driven daily as i have a company vehicle to go to and from work in. That makes me feel better though as i dont want to be bothered over a weekend of wheeling or camping by being cramped up horribly. Thanks for the info guys.

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 23, 2010, 10:53:28 AM »
I'm 6'2". After having a 3rd gen extra cab and now a 1st gen 4runner I'll tell you the 3rd was noticably roomier. I've also noticed with the 4runner the front seat doesn't move back very far due to the need for back seat leg room. I feel like I'm to close to the steering wheel. If you do get a 1st gen 4runner I'd suggest re mounting the driver seat back a few inches, it will make a huge difference. Just my opinion.

talltatro [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2010, 11:53:23 AM »
I'm 6'2". After having a 3rd gen extra cab and now a 1st gen 4runner I'll tell you the 3rd was noticably roomier. I've also noticed with the 4runner the front seat doesn't move back very far due to the need for back seat leg room. I feel like I'm to close to the steering wheel. If you do get a 1st gen 4runner I'd suggest re mounting the driver seat back a few inches, it will make a huge difference. Just my opinion.

Yea i was think i would do that no matter what just to get as much room as possible. my legs are abnormally long lol. Thanks for the info

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2010, 01:00:30 PM »
I'm 5'6" and a first gen is cramped
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »
im 6'0 driver a first gen runner everyday, plenty of room, but im not a GIANT like u, lol
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

b0x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 23, 2010, 04:56:36 PM »
Being 6'6 I can relate. First gen you'll be cramped more then the second gen. Ive driven both myself. You can creat a little more leg room with swapping out the front seat with say something like a MR2 or Celica seat. It makes your position more long leg friendly. Hope this helps. Good luck man.  :beerchug:
New Mexico wheeling

fomotaco51

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2010, 06:00:03 PM »
I'm 6'7 also my extra cab taco is very roomy. my second gen runner is allot more cramped and to top it off i want to put a interior cage, safety over comfort but i think I'm going to move my seat back like redrocket93 said