Author Topic: Very sad day at MDR race .  (Read 10343 times)

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
Re: Very sad day at MDR race .
« Reply #30 on: Aug 16, 2010, 07:04:22 PM »
A post i read here ( http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/08/15/2010-08-15_8_dead_at_california_200_prerunner_truck_flies_into_crowd_fans_had_no_time_to_ge.html ) that i felt was a good take

Quote from: Nikkofly

I'll start by saying that I have not read all the other posts. I did watch the news piece. It was VERY obvious by what I saw that either safety regulations were not in place or were not being enforced. What makes the accident all the more tragic is that it was completely avoidable! If I hadn't known better, I would have thought I was watching an off-road race in another country where strict safety standards are almost unheard of -- one that doesn't bother to keep people at safe distances from planes at air shows, cars at auto races, bikes at bicycle races, and so on. Video footage showed that these fans were literally so close to the track that they were able to reach out and touch passing trucks -- trucks that are always on the very edge of control because they are going as fast as possible -- NOT on a paved track which is dangerous enough (and fans are kept well back + protected by tall and multiple safety fences, BUT out in the desert over extremely uneven and unpredictable ter

(continued) terrain, at NIGHT no less!! These fans CHOSE to put themselves in harms way for the thrill, excitement and adrenalin rush that it created, and were apparently ALLOWED to by race organizers! The notion that the driver was in any way at fault is ludicrous. The driver is now most likely a devastated, guilt-ridden shell of a man (based upon his post that I read) who was pursuing his passion of off-road racing, and whose only apparent mistake was trying to win an "organized", sanctioned event. Rather than looking for a scapegoat, we should be concerned about caring for the injured, and the families of the dead, AND learning from this tragedy so that something like it NEVER happens again!!

"AND learning from this tragedy so that something like it NEVER happens again!!" !!!!!!!!
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #31 on: Aug 16, 2010, 07:16:49 PM »

"AND learning from this tragedy so that something like it NEVER happens again!!" !!!!!!!!

Agree
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 16, 2010, 08:51:21 PM »
Let's not make this a pissing match kiddies, it should be about the horrible loss of life  ;)  The driver doesn't need to own up to anything because, as has been stated, he was merely doing his job.  Owning up to something is what you do when you do something intentionally or due to neglegence, but this was an accident.  Spectators were down there because they wanted to be as close to the trucks as possible, so they're ultimately responsible for their own demise  :twocents:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 16, 2010, 08:55:43 PM »
He was suppose to slow to 15mph, so yes he was neglegent.

My whole point was to show that one, you can still be help at fault in a civil court, and two, think about the situation before you do something.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:00:11 PM »

Show me where

http://mdrracing.com/_doc/safety-rules.pdf
http://mdrracing.com/_doc/safe-zone-rules.pdf
http://mdrracing.com/links/spectator-information.html

"Do not spectate within 100 feet of the course"

"The speed limit around the pits and in all camping areas is 15 MPH"

They were surely closer than 100 feet away. He was traveling on a race course not through a pit nor camping area. He is not negligent in any way shape or form.

You need to start getting your :pokinit: straight before you open your mouth.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:02:15 PM »
One news article stated it, and yes it doesnt mean its true. But when you dont know where to look for the rules, you just go off that.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
Guess you should do your homework then before you spew misinformation shouldn't you ? it took me 2 seconds to type MDR in google and find their site to see hey all 3 rule sections are on the front page.  Really hard to look for :shake:
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
The BLM issued a statement saying safety was the responsibility of the race organizer, South El Monte-based Mojave Desert Racing. MDR's permit required racers to travel 15 mph or less when they were within 50 feet of fans, and allowed no more than 300 spectators for the event, the agency said.

Those rules are for MDR, but if BLM says you have to do this or that on our land, you do it.
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2010, 09:13:01 PM by jerry92toy »

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
Has a copy of the permit showed up yet showing such ? If not its just media bull crap to make someone the bad guy in this ACCIDENT
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »
Yes and accidents cause a lose of life or money or property, you can be found liable for it, criminally or civil.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »
BLM is a super liberal organization, so yes, they'll ofcourse try to force blame on somebody else before it can in any way be pinned on them!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:44:04 PM »
Cause a loss or cause you to lose, not cause a lose  ;)
RIP KYOTA

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 16, 2010, 09:51:38 PM »
ya ya so sue me, im tired and its been a long day.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #43 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:26:33 AM »
Just gotta love how the media distorts things, never and I mean never believe what you get from the media they just want a story to cover and will use what works for it and remove the truth.

I hate to say it when there was so much loss but the people that were spectating too close are at fault not the driver. Now beyond that the organizer, team and driver will end up in civil court over this we are in California and that's the name of the game here. So in the end that's what it will be all about, the organizer of the event will end up going under, the team is done and hopefully the driver won't suffer more than he already is.

It is a sad thing that happened, the organizer is required by the BLM to have insurance, I hope the organizer requires the teams to also have insurance. Hopefully gross negligence is not found by M.A.I.T. for that will fall on the organizer in allowing spectators too close to the track. It is almost impossible to keep them away from the track but that was a high spectator location and they should have been there to keep them back.

BLM will not be so easy to issue permits anymore.

May all those killed rest in peace and those injured recover. My prayers go out to the driver it was not your fault.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:36:33 AM »
This also happens quite often with Rally racing.  It's sad, but the crowd wants to be a dozen feet from purpose-built vehicles that are going often in excess of 100mph.  One missed turn or a bad slide on some gravel and you end up doing more than just rolling over on your side.   

I'm going to an auto race this October with my son(we do this every year) and there's a real reason that there's 2 inch thick steel rebar and cage 40 ft high in front of the stands.  There's always the potential for the crowd getting injured in any motor sport in a worst case scenario.

Just sad all the way around.  I hope this doesn't make the driver quit the sport. 

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:21:38 AM »
Word, I remember watching rally back when I was a kid and thinking those people who lined the road and jumped out of the way at the last second were total fools. 
RIP KYOTA

sweetmeat

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -13
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Friends don't let friends join the sierra club
    • View Profile
    • Wrecked4x4
« Reply #46 on: Aug 17, 2010, 07:01:46 AM »
If they went 15mph whenever somebody was around the course they would run the whole race at 15mph. I have races plenty of races. There are people everywhere ALL over the course.

This is just a unfortunate accident
A&G Motorsports Class 1 #1553 Crew Member
Wrecked4x4.com

iNfErNaL [OP]

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Aug 17, 2010, 12:54:50 PM »

If you guys want to leave a comment to help save any possible closures here is the link to the Barstow BLM. No bashing, just something constructive like Infernal mentioned.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/forms/feedback/index.php?fo=4
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2010, 03:59:30 PM by HDcruiser »

iNfErNaL [OP]

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
I was told last night by a team that races under M.O.R.E. that the Barstow BLM is posting complete closure signs in all offroad areas, such as JV,Lucerne,Calico and so on. This means for the public and organizations.

You guys need to leave a comment if you want to help save any possible closures. No bashing, just something constructive like Infernal mentioned.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/forms/feedback/index.php?fo=4

Thanks for the link HDcruiser

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Aug 17, 2010, 01:18:37 PM »
No worries bro.  :cool:

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:06:29 PM »
WHO...??

Everyone needs to find out WHO these people that are shutting everything down its our freakin' country we should be able to use it.  Just because there was an ACCIDENT.  Does not make it ok to shut everything down and ruin it for everyone else.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:32:42 PM »
Everyone needs to find out WHO these people that are shutting everything down its our flopping country we should be able to use it.  Just because there was an ACCIDENT.  Does not make it ok to shut everything down and ruin it for everyone else.

Hey bro, I felt the same way and had the same reaction. This tragic accident is the ammo that the environmentalist and feinstein look forward to. I feel that this incident is a lot bigger than just a accident. I thinks its B.S. that the BLM has shut down all racing activity from here on until further notice or public use.
FYI, i just called the BLM office to confirm closure for the public and i got the run around. They told me to call back in a hour. I will keep you guys posted.

Sean

iNfErNaL [OP]

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:43:57 PM »
This tragic accident is the ammo that the environmentalist and feinstein look forward to. I feel that this incident is a lot bigger than just a accident.

I agree 100%

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

iNfErNaL [OP]

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Aug 17, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »

FYI, i just called the BLM office to confirm closure for the public and i got the run around. They told me to call back in a hour. I will keep you guys posted.

Sean

Thanks alot for the update Sean . Post up if you hear anything , thanks again .

Pep

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
Yes please let us know what is going on.  This is the worst situation.  F U C K   BLM what do they have to do with it.  So people were standing in a spot where only someone with COMMON sense would know there is a risk, big damn whoopy.  I am good friends with a couple guys who knew some of the unfortunate people who lost there lives and I know that those people would not want everything shut down and thing to be going in the direction they are going in.  This is not what motor sports needs at all.. 
I dont think BLM understands what will happen if all those places stay closed.  ALOT of people will lose there jobs, there income there way of life for god sake.  I honestly dont know what I would do if I couldnt go out wheeling or out to the desert to watch races.  I just hope this incident will help others learn that just because it only happens sometime doesnt mean me it wont happen to you. 
I cant lie I have been one of those dip shits standing in a retarded ass spot on a course where trucks are (more likely) to wreck......... and it took ONE truck for me to realize how stupid it was to be standing where I was.  Its no ones fault but there own as harsh as that is.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
Im on it...  thats my backyard for offroading. Im just as concerned as everyone else.

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »

My whole point was to show that one, you can still be help at fault in a civil court, and two, think about the situation before you do something.

You have no idea how stupid you are do you.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Aug 17, 2010, 03:57:25 PM »
Here's the update, i just got off the phone with Art from the Barstow BLM office. He said that there are NO public closures in effect. I specifically asked him about Lucerne "Cougar Buttes" and Johnson Valley "Hammers". I also asked him if there is a possibility for future closures, he said he wasn't sure. So for right now, everything is open guys.

I'm going to edit my original post so to not alarm anyone else.

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Aug 17, 2010, 04:05:34 PM »
Sweet thanks for the updates HD