Author Topic: Is is worth swapping in an A340F for the on-road performance?  (Read 2075 times)

toy1195e

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '10
    • View Profile
Vehicle: 1985 Pickup with 22RE and A340H transmission

Looking for some opinions on if it would be worth the effort and money to swap an A340H transmission for the A340F transmission for the on-road improved power and driveability of the gear driven transfer case?

I'm happy with the off-road performance of the A340H, love having the automatic, and it meets my 4wheeling needs

I'm not interested in doing dual cases and not interested in lower t-case gears.  So those reasons are not a consideration.

For those that have done this swap, is the on-road performance noticably improved?  Better acceleration etc.?

This truck sees a lot of highway miles driving to desert races, distant 4wheeling trips etc.

Thanks

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Am not sure how it could be that much of a improvement over the H series. I have the a340h and it is awesome offroad, and takes forever to warm up. Anyhow maybe some others will chime in.
Also I do not think two t-cases on the trail would help like others say it does lol. a single t-case is just fine and slow enough.

Supposedly they are supposed to be stronger but I do not see how.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
The biggest reason people dump the a340H is due to the transfer case sucking all the available power out of that poor engine.  The a340F is supposed to be a big improvement in performance so I don't see why not to swap it. :D
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

MeSwoleShane

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
I swapped in a 5 speed for this reason. When it was auto I would get on the interstate and if I gave it more than half throttle it would shift out of overdrive. I only had 4.3 gears with 33's and a worn out engine at the time so the truck only would go about 55-60mph. Unless I shifted out of overdrive.After I swapped the 5 speed I could just give it full throttle in 5th gear and cruise about 70mph and at lower rpm.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Ya I leave off of overdrive for that reason it never worked that well. I have plenty of power up hills, etc , I can spin the tires easily. I think the auto also helps keeping down axle breakage and other problems a manual can do. Swap if you want and tell us if it is worthy, I also have a 5 speed in my garage but am waiting for the auto to blow up it might be awhile.
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly: