Author Topic: Early's Runner : Runners got the flu :  (Read 9578 times)

Early

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 470
  • Member since Oct '09
  • The Buddhas ridin shotie
    • View Profile
So my CEL has been on since i got the new motor in. didn't know what it might be, went to schucks and borrowed the code reader and it was the knock sensor. errrrr. so i get it home and let it cool off. well i found it was unplugged. went to plug it in but i had to get the sensor off the old block first  :smack:

everything is great now. im pretty sure the computer was running on its set loop with the knock tripping the sensor, but now i feel even more power. less bog at 700 rpm and a little more ommp on the highway in 4th and 5th.

Next i've been trying to figure out what i was going to do for my spare tire carrier. i have a simple square tube bumper thats tucked in the rear so i can't go a couple routes. What i have come up with is using truion bearings and races from the SFA in the shop. Also picked up a foot of 2" 1/4 wall dom that a bud is going to machine to hold the races. Then the truck will start to see its first tube ever. Ill make a driver and pass swing out for tire and gas/water respectively. The tire first cause i hate it sitting in the basement.

:beer:
1994  4Runner w/ full doors

My hands are dirty cause i drive a yota

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
I like the trunnion bearing idea. One thing that came to
mind was what if yer on a sidewayz slope and want the tire or gas carrier to stay swung out? The bearings will have like no holding power on a slope. Just food for thought :)
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Early's Runner : 200k Trip : motor issues:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 16, 2010, 12:26:22 PM »
The runner is very much nearing the 200k marker. Im excited to say the least, Both my cars will soon be dinosaurs, if anyone else had something to do with it.

What does one do? Take a trip. The Plan is about 1000 mile trip and hopefully an awesome 200k shot somewhere in oregon or cali. From Portland i will go to Ashland to ride with my brother for a few days. Then out to the coast, undecided how far South i will go sightseeing but will end up in Gold Beach for some camping fishing and a little work in between beers. Continue up the coast hopefully at a slow pace so i can check out things i've always been in too much of a hurry to see.

Trip started yesterday on my first leg to Ashland. Im packed light but strong. Truck tools/parts, fishing gear, carpentry tools, and camping gear. Everything was going well except i got out of town a little late. It's was a great day to have half doors in oregon, considering it started down pouring as i left town. Truck drove very well in the hills (pulls great in 5th up hill (35"/5.29) however im contemplating a different ratio, i don't think i need the 5.29's, even if i went to a 37". But i don't have too worry about that right now...... fml

As i was transitioning from flat to a steep uphill i dropped to 4th and within 200 yards i had one of those bad noises no one wants to hear. pulled over and got the truck safe. Pulled out a light (out of town late) with the motor idling and got under, clutch sounded like it was making a horrid noise. look in the motor bay and hear the same noise but it sounds like its coming from the water pump alternator and header. back to look at the clutch and i am ruling that out, i think i just heard the front end noise while i was near the clutch.

So on the side of the road i pulled the valve cover and saw that the drivers side of the t-chain had slack. This could be the noise i had heard, so i am looking into that today. sat on the highway for a bit and then got towed to my parents.

:end story:  :blah:

22re rebuilt 1500 miles ago by me with engbldr parts.
just did my third oil change after the rebuild, morning of the trip
oil looks brand new
truck ran and idled, just had a clacking noise

I wanted to be on vacation, but instead my hands continue to stay dirty, why, because i drive a toyota :tantrum:

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: Early's Runner : 200k Trip : motor issues:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 16, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
So i have been digging into the engine bay and with all of the belts off the truck is fine. So my problem lies either in my alternator or my water pump. I don't know that an alternator could make the noise thats coming from my engine though. and it seems ike its the wrong pitch for a water pump, also, 1500 miles on the water pump. Alternator is the same i bought the truck with although with new brushes 10k ago.

anyone? ideas?

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sep 16, 2010, 07:34:21 PM »
I did a little more trouble shoting. Ran the motor with no accessories (belts). No noise, threw the alternator water pump belt on, no noise. threw the power steering pump on, noise. Problem ended up being the idler pulley for the power steering. a quick stop to the only napa i go to and 9 dollars, trucks back on the road.

200k trip continues. :beer:

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sep 16, 2010, 08:09:20 PM »
Sweet, glad it was no big deal.  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: Early's Runner : 200k Trip :
« Reply #36 on: Sep 16, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
Sweet, glad it was no big deal.  :beerchug:

Me too, i can't afford another large catastrophe with this truck right now.

Tomorrow im going to show my older brother what 300:1 is like, haha, he likes fast cars so i can't wait to see what he thinks. And hopefully we can go for a ride on the bike. And on Sat i get to drive threw the red woods, excited about that.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sep 16, 2010, 08:48:02 PM »
Me too, i can't afford another large catastrophe with this truck right now.

Tomorrow im going to show my older brother what 300:1 is like, haha, he likes fast cars so i can't wait to see what he thinks. And hopefully we can go for a ride on the bike. And on Sat i get to drive threw the red woods, excited about that.

Redwoods are always mind boggling. Its fun to show people your low ass gears. I like to get out, and let the truck start to creep away and be like "oh crap oops!" and go walk after it. :gap:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sep 16, 2010, 11:51:46 PM »
Goodluck with the rest of you trip bud. We should have a few  :beerchug: when u get back.
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

RockRescue

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »
Hey Early  i hope you made it home ok   I passed you today on the freeway   i was going south toward Medford  and you were on the otherside going North on the side of the road with your hood up .   I had just read about your trip on here and Then i look over and seen a Gold runner with half doors  With a bunch of stuff on top .  I went to the next exit and turned around to come help  But you were gone by the time i got back . I got off the freeway and looked around  the next exit  but didnt see you .   Trip must be sucking  driveing with half doors in this rain .   Anyways if you are still in the Medford area  and need a hand with anything  let me know . 

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:58:28 PM »
Hey Early  i hope you made it home ok   I passed you today on the freeway   i was going south toward Medford  and you were on the otherside going North on the side of the road with your hood up .   I had just read about your trip on here and Then i look over and seen a Gold runner with half doors  With a bunch of stuff on top .  I went to the next exit and turned around to come help  But you were gone by the time i got back . I got off the freeway and looked around  the next exit  but didnt see you .   Trip must be sucking  driveing with half doors in this rain .   Anyways if you are still in the Medford area  and need a hand with anything  let me know .  

Thanks for trying to find me and help :thumbs: i love that about yotas. About 15 min into my trip from Ashland to Gold Beach my truck started stuttering. YEAH! i thought, trouble all ready. Popped the hood and a quick check found my #2 plug wire fell off my distributer, don't know how but a stupid problem to have. Adam was telling me about a MSD make your own wire kit from Knechts at Browns camp last time, i really need to go pick this up.

And the rain, haha, the rain. "It's a great day for half doors in Oregon" i tell the guy filling up my truck while i sit there squeegeeing the inside of my windshield. As long as your prepared and you keep moving its great.

Went out on the beach and into the woods. Truck did well aside from a few stupid issues. O, and the small town cops don't like my truck. Got pulled over a couple hours after i got off the beach with my truck. I was in the proper area minding my manners, courteous and cautious.  The officer told me a tourist wasn't sure about me  :bull crap: He wanted to make sure i knew the rules in his town. I follow the rules but i was different enough that he wanted a closer look. whatever

And on my way home today i crested a hill near Dunes City and as i shift to 5th i have no clutch. Try a couple pumps and some rev matching so i can get into 4th, nothing. Pull over to have a look.  Clutch reservoir was low so i went down below to look at the slave and my hard line was leaking, damn. My GF got to help me bleed the clutch with some fresh fluid and i figured i would have at least 3 shifts to get me to Florence. So we start rolling and get to the parts shop. Replace a 4" section of clutch tubing with a 12" section, looks funny but it works. A bunch of simple stupid problems i had.

Got home though. And i didn't hit 200k because my speedo went out on the way home today. So ill fix that Tomorrow and plan a trip for the weekend.

Sometimes i think my truck hates me.

studentwheeler

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 121
  • Male Posts: 382
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sep 22, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »
let me know when you want to do latin america or alaska...those are both on my to do list  :crossed:

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sep 22, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »
let me know when you want to do latin america or alaska...those are both on my to do list  :crossed:

Well my best friend was born and raised in Alaska and i meet him in college. Been there but was going to drive up for the summer (or more) within a couple years. Then his dumb butt decided to move to iowa.  :smack:

South sounds great though.  :beerchug:

edit: some pics when i figure out how to get them off my telephone

Early [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: Early's Runner : Runner's got the flu :
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:13:06 PM »
So The runners got the flu and im looking for some help. To start i was cruiseing out to the coast (about a 100 mile trip) down the highway and i got a horrible knocking noise coming from what i thought was the motor.

-Noise is apparent in all gears.
-Noise only happens under load, weather accelerating or engine breaking
-Noise is not there while feathering throttle to cruise
-Noise is not there doing Low gear burn outs.
      either 2.28 low or 4.7 low or both

I decided it was not my motor and was possibly my tranny, cases or rear differential.

differential flange was a bit loose so it was tighted but damage may have been done though i am keeping that as a tertiary idea.

I haven't pulled my tranny apart because it feels good spinning by hand. (its out of the truck)

While draining the oil in the cases my MC07 adapter had some metal flaked nasty oil come out. It is now in pieces on my bench. I feel as though maybe my gears wore down past tolerance. The amount of lash on my 4.7 kit is double that of my stock gear kit. If you think what i have is normal ill button this up and tear my tranny apart to have a looksy.

Thats the info to start, if i think of more ill add, looking for help, i wanna drive my pig again.

I have two videos, the first is a camera mounted to show the clanking. The second is my case apart on the bench to show what i feel is excessive lash.

(noise at 1:17)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCCATvhn7iU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WCCATvhn7iU?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
http://www.youtube.com/WCCATvhn7iU?rel=0

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mf-9qv7g6lw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Mf-9qv7g6lw?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;rel=0</a>
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mf-9qv7g6lw?rel=0

Let me know what you think.... Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2011, 10:23:28 PM by Early »