Author Topic: Help me quiet down my 22-RE  (Read 4477 times)

4Runninfun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Help me quiet down my 22-RE
« on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:42:18 AM »
I've got my 85 4runner with a 22-RE and the thing is LOUD! It really gets to the point that after an hour i've got a headache. I've tried adjusting the valve lash, and aside from one exhaust leak i know i have I can't figure out why my motor is so much louder than other 22-RE's around. looking for any suggestions.
1985 Toyota 4runner, 22-RE bored .050 over, Street RV head, 268 torkr cam, 2" Sus. lift, 2" body lift, 255x85 Trxus MT's, pair of 170 Lightforce, Full-length Yakima Basket. Custom Interior.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Help me quiet down my 22-RE
« Reply #1 on: Aug 01, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »
You need to explain what makes it loud.  Like clacking noise from valves ?  Exhaust leaks can get very loud as well.  Explain some more and I am sure I can help you out.

4Runninfun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 01, 2010, 03:13:52 PM »
Yeah I guess that would help. I shouldn't post after working my 12hr grave. At any rate I'm not entirely sure why it's so loud, it sounds like it should be from the valves but like i said i checked the lash and that is within spec. The timing chain has about 50k on it, so not new but not bad either. since i'm not sure 100%, what are some other things in the top end that would be worth checking for this?
1985 Toyota 4runner, 22-RE bored .050 over, Street RV head, 268 torkr cam, 2" Sus. lift, 2" body lift, 255x85 Trxus MT's, pair of 170 Lightforce, Full-length Yakima Basket. Custom Interior.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:22:04 PM »
When you checked the valve lash what was it at ? should be .008 intake and .012 exhaust but it should be checked right after you run it for a bit and get it nice and hot.  There isnt a lot on a 22re that can make a lot of noise but the valve train is the most common along with exhaust.  I would say readjust the valves but dont go tight on them since it will cause the valves to stay open. Then carbon will fill that void and cause you to have a dead cylinder.  They may just be a tad loose.  Fix the exhaust leak 1st. 

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
The loudest thing on mine are the injectors clicking away.  They're not bad, just a little noisy, but that seems common with these motors.  If your valve lash is set correctly then use a stethoscope or a bit of hose held to your ear to poke around and listen to whats making noise.

Had an awesome whirring noise after installing a brand new napa belt, went away after I swapped the old belt back on.

Kevo

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
Injectors or valve shouldn't be loud enough to give you a headache.   

An open style muffler has a low drone that can give you a headache after a while, what type of muffler do you have?

Road noise will also give you a a headache after a while.  Are all of the carpets and insulating pads still in the Runner?  In the ones that I have restored, I stuff insulation between the back panels and the sheet metal, which quiets them down quite a bit.

Any difference in time w/driving w/the windows up vs. them down?  You could be getting enough exhaust fumes into the cab over an hour that the fumes are causing the headache, and you are just attributing the headache to the only noise you hear.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

4Runninfun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »
I do have a 50 series flowmaster exhaust. and i had the same thought so i installed a resonator. the exhaust is super quiet now. And that is when it became apparent that it is the motor that is so, loud not the exhaust.

When I checked the valves i made sure the motor was at operating temp, and put them at 0.008 and 0.012.

I have all the carpet in from the front seats forward. I also installed a bunch of sound deadening mat.

Injectors are pretty noisy as well i can always hear them tapping away. I'm thinking that the overall loudness is probably a bunch of small factors contributing together. is there anyway to quiet down the injectors without spending the cash on new ones?

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 01, 2010, 07:03:15 PM »
Wierd, I have never had issues like that. I don't know what to say except maybe you exhaust. My truck is super quiet. I have a 40 series flowmaster and I'm not running a cat. When I roll the widows down it's a little loud but it they are up it's quiet.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:20:01 PM »
My 86 22RE has had the following exhaust problems (other than changing the muffler and converter):

Exhaust manifold warped.   This causes exhaust gasket to fail, and if you try to tighten down the exhaust manifold studs you can pull the studs out of the head........

Exhaust downpipe failed where the 2 tubes merge into the single pipe.    Had to reweld several times.      I think the clamp that clamps the exhaust pipe to the bracket next to the transmission bell contributes to this.     My failures seemed to have stopped when I clamped the exhaust down on the bracket before fully tightening the bolt that holds the bracket to the transmission bell.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

4Runninfun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 01, 2010, 08:32:16 PM »
I know what you mean about the manifold and down pipe, I changed that out for an LCE one last winter. stupid thing would NEVER stay tight.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2010, 03:54:51 AM »
Are you sure it's not the timing chain guides/tensioners? When they go bad it will sound pretty bad, like throwing a bunch of marbles in a dryer. It will slowly chew up the cover and put shavings in the pan.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 02, 2010, 08:53:28 PM »
You really can't do anything about the injectors, even new ones would most likely be noisy.  As someone else pointed out though, injector and valve noise shouldn't really be loud enough to bother ya that much.  These are older trucks now, they're not like driving a new BMW or Honda, or Toyota.  I honestly have a hard time even hearing my engine on the highway over the tires and trans noise.

You might make sure all the boots and seals are still good in the firewall and trans tunnel.  I once had a guy come in the shop thinking his truck had a blown motor, I drove it and found the boot around the steering column had popped out.  Fixed that and all was normal again.  That would also allow fumes from the engine bay into the cab further causing your headache.

Kevo