Author Topic: 3RZ 1985 Aussie 4Runner  (Read 15999 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Cheers TwistedToy,

462, That would be sweet if we could do tours on either continent, I don't know where bouts I will be in Australia but would be happy to show you round.

Will definitely post up some wheeling pics when I finally get there, hoping to do some snow trips next year.

The laws here are pretty strict, the state I am in now I have to have all the modifications checked over by a mechanical engineer and test driven for stability, then once it has passed that it has to have a yearly check by a mechanic for road worthiness, lights, brakes, steering, leaks, etc.   

Matt.

Well I have never been to Australia, so I am down to check it all out! I guess your laws aren't as strict as I was lead to believe, as long as there is some process to allow for modified trucks on the road.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

4CRSHNU [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
As always long time between updates.

I can't really remember all things I have completed in the last few months but here are the jobs that I have taken pictures of so far.

Here is a pic of the gear levers in the cab, I will work on making it a bit neater in the future.

Last year I ordered a dual case cross member from Sky $240US and $250US for postage to Australia. I got the idea for this crossmember from zippo's build, thanks zippo.
I ordered this brand as it was in 3 parts and allowed me to tuck the drive line up 25mm to match the body lift(I had to remove this feature later due to the double carden joint in the rear tail shaft hitting the chassis cross-member). This thing is heavy and should protect the cases from external damage.

I then upgraded the front brakes and booster/master cylinder to 2005 Hilux Spec. I used DBA slotted rotors which are the same diameter as the originals except thicker as the standard were solid rotors not vented. Fitted with Bendix 4WD pads. Combined with the rebuilding of the rear brakes when I first got the car the brakes have a real good feel to them now, much better then the previous setup.

My biggest fan.

At this point I rebuilt the rear diff as when I went to change the pinion flange to suit the new drive shaft there was a heap of play at the flange. Stripped down the centre to find the carrier bearings were also completely worn. I had never rebuilt a diff before and had to buy a few tools 2 torque wenches, dial gauge with magnetic base and a hydraulic press, also did heaps of reading of ZUK's page, thanks ZUK. As it was just getting rebuilt I refitted the same pinion shim but I used a solid spacer instead of a collapsible spacer. The solid spacer took ages to set up right. I do have an air locker to fit and also a high pinion landcruiser centre to fit to the front axle, these will both be completed after its registered.

I did make a sweet jig to hold the diff of the bench but didn't take any photos of it.

New pinion races installed.

Pinion installed.

Ready to reinstall.

Press.

Next to do was to rotate the rear axle to eliminate drive-shaft noise as I was running a CV or Double Carden joint in the rear shaft due to it being a lot shorter then the stock version.
This involved grinding the old perches off and then rotating the housing and welding the new perches on.

With the help of a mate we made up some bumpstops for the front and rear axles. The rubber bump stops were ordered from Low Range Offroad.

I have also installed a Red Top Optima battery with TG battery cage. The front seats are currently getting reupholstered with new springs and fabric, this was the easier option then aftermarket as it retains the 2 door seat go forward lever thing.

Next week the 4Runner is going on a truck to Sydney to get Engineered and any problems the engineer finds fixed. Hopefully around the start of July I will be able to go to Sydney and drive the 4Runner back with all legal modifications.

Hopefully some wheeling pics will be coming soon.

Matt
85 4Runner with 3RZ Inside

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Nice! Keep up the awesome work. It sucks shipping is so crazy $$!
If you see it, its for sale.

speedstar751

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Jul '11
    • View Profile
Hows your truck going mate happy with the conversion? I'm in Australia to looking to do 3RZ swap into my 93 extra cab just joined the site looking for some info its been pretty useful so far.

ajordan1975

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 1,004
  • Member since Jun '07
  • i think i'm cool
    • View Profile
Awesome build!  :beerchug:
If you plan to come to Texas on your state tour hit me up!
1990 4Runner, SAS, 22re, 5spd, Dual stock cases, Locked f/b, interior cage

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
This is a very good thread. Please keep the pics coming :clap2: I love your Pug! :yesnod: They are awesome dogs

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

4CRSHNU [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
This is a very good thread. Please keep the pics coming :clap2: I love your Pug! :yesnod: They are awesome dogs

BigMike

Long time between updates as usual, thanks for the comments BigMike, there are now two Pugs to deal with.

I have had to move interstate since the last time I posted, so work slowed down a little on the 4Runner.

In that time but I did get the modifications certified by an engineer which then allowed me to legally road registered the 4Runner. Alot more restrictions over here compared to the US.

I am currently in the process of setting up the rear leaf packs and building a high pinion ARB center for the front. Also working on getting an ARB bar and Warn XDC fitted.

Here are some pictures of how it went on a ramp the other day, I was impressed with the front travel and only a little bit of work required on the rear to get it working a bit better.

Thanks

Matt

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Nice to see you back on.  :wave:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

4CRSHNU [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Hi all,

As usual long time between updates.

I had some issues with the second hand ARB bar I purchased, it ended up being bent so I scrapped that one and will need to find another one.

Since then I have been working on little and big things, I will put them in a list as it will be too painful to type:

- Ign barrel rebuilt with new keys made based on stock keys instead of my worn keys, this was to stop being able to pull the key out when the engine was running.
- AC wiring connected, the AC computer module has been bypassed due to the fact that it wanted a pulse input from ign coil, this was too hard due to the new engine running coil packs so now I just have no temp cutoff. This is OK because where I live in Australia it doesn't get under 20C (70F) in the dry season and in the wet season its over 32C (90F) every day.
- High pinion center with Air Locker and 4.88s has been installed as well as a Air Locker in the rear 3rd. Also ARB compressor mounted.

The high pinion hit the exhaust on up travel so the exhaust is being modified for the 3rd time to hopefully clear the front diff, transfer cases and rear shocks. Also waiting on my new front tail shaft with long slip to be setup by a drive line joint.

That is where it is at currently, hopefully by Saturday week I will be able to take it out for a play and see how well it goes with the 31inch ATs still fitted. I will take some photos and hopefully a video when this happens.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ 1985 Aussie 4Runner
« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2012, 04:29:15 AM »
great looking build
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

4CRSHNU [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 16, 2013, 02:06:40 AM »
Hey all,

Been working on a few little jobs on the 4Runner. Played with the leaf packs a little, happy with the front now just have to get the rear sorted. Sorted out a new front bar and chucked a Warn XDC in.

Also had some tyres arrive just waiting on some wheels to come from your way.

Enjoy

The last one is a picture of my Cummins work truck 2012 Hilux extra cab 3.0 turbo diesel.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:54:35 AM by 4CRSHNU »

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 16, 2013, 04:39:20 AM »
Those tires are going to look nice on your Runner. And oh how I would love to get my hands on one of those 3.0 TD's for a swap/project. Wish they were available here.  :turtle:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

4CRSHNU [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 04:53:37 AM »
Those tires are going to look nice on your Runner. And oh how I would love to get my hands on one of those 3.0 TD's for a swap/project. Wish they were available here.  :turtle:

Thanks mate, I also have the same engine in the wife's DD 2010 Landcruiser Prado. Do you guys get these in the states?

Here are some pics of the 4Runner out wheeling at a local testing ground.

Mates rig with factory 2.7, big plans to come.

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
Nice build.  No we don't have any Toyota diesel's in the US.  You only get a diesel in two forms big trucks or VW cars.  Really too bad. 

4CRSHNU [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Nov 15, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »
Hi all,

Unfortunately after years of building the 4Runner and only just getting it on the road. Some one decided to cut me off doing an illegal u-turn.

While I could have repaired the 4Runner or swapped the body I didn't have it in me anymore to continue.

Good news is I have purchased a new (to me) Hilux.

2004 Single Cab with factory 5VZ-FE and R150F. Going to keep it as stock as I can except for fitting the dual transfers from the 4Runner and air lockers front and rear, will also play with the suspension setup a little. Will start a build thread once I get into it.

Cheers

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2016, 04:48:03 AM »
Bummer about the 4runner, the new hilux looks nice
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.