12 (13.8%)
Only if you plan to keep it, and not junk it
21 (24.1%)
its ok
30 (34.5%)
keep a nice looking toy,
24 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: to beat up a nice toyota  (Read 16145 times)

Ancich

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
to beat up a nice toyota
« on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:13:02 PM »
so, sadly, i've seen allot of really nice toyotas get turned into raisins, bead to snot crawler things :thumbdown:, i just wondered, what do other people think of this :headscratch:, so add your choice to the pole and post your thoughts here,

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Re: to beat up a nice toyota
« Reply #1 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »
Uh... well we are not any mall crawling pussys around here. so dents happen and after a while we just say screw it and pin it to win it. If you wanna keep your truck all show status this is not the place for you. Go down to your local mall and hit on some 14 year old girls. No mean intened but you did come to a rock crawling site and ask a pretty dumb question.
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »
Depends. If a rig is already dented, and not worth fixing, then have at it, thrash away. I gonna sas my 88 runner, it pretty clean, but it has a dent behind door that not fixable, and interior is not the best, so ill beat the dog piss outta it. I also have a stock 81 with no dents, that I REFUSE to take offroad, I will drive with hubs locked to lube everything. These trucks will be gone someday, and it sure would be nice to be able to find a nice one to maybe retsore with a son, or restore down the road. Its not hard to find one with a crap body, it hard to find one with a clean one.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:37:45 PM »
I would never intentionally beat up a nice Toyota. But who's to say a lil fun won't turn into a scratch and a dent.  :driving: Then so on so forth :thumbs:
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

Ancich [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 42
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:41:19 PM »
Uh... well we are not any mall crawling pussys around here. so dents happen and after a while we just say screw it and pin it to win it. If you wanna keep your truck all show status this is not the place for you. Go down to your local mall and hit on some 14 year old girls. No mean intened but you did come to a rock crawling site and ask a pretty dumb question.

i know you get dents sometimes on accidents, but people who go out and just beat the snot out of a toyota and then part it out or junk it is what i dont like

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
Its their toy, they can do what ever thay please with it...and if it wasn't for them parting out their truck, where would we get replacement parts for cheap.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2010, 12:25:01 AM »
I wouldn't purposely beat a nice one, but I'm thinking of making a crawler out of my 81 2wd toy, since a suburban already beat it up for me.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2010, 06:43:46 AM »
its not necessary to beat your truck into a prune.  Ive been wheeling my truck for 15 years and rock crawling (dual cases and locker) for 5 of those and besides a sorry ass on a cell phone my truck didnt have many dents at all. and even now the bed has a dent on the pass side and a sort of a bow in the drivers side of the bed (from the wreck)
look at Marlins truck it looks show room new and it goes everywhere

you can wheel the piss out of a truck and  not smash it to pieces.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:36:14 AM »
I think it comes down to what you have a personal attachment to.  My buddy collects and restores old Fiats because he has a thing for them, to each his own.  I have a thing for 1st gen's so yeah I see what you are saying because I cringe sometimes when I see a build up that starts with a very nice truck and by the end is a bobbed, exoed, dovenosed, sawzalled rolling dent.  But if they did it to an 84+ wouldn't bother me because I don't have a thing for those. 

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #9 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »
I've owned my truck for almost 11 years now.  got it without a dent in it and nice shiny paint.  I have been wheeling it for 10 of the 11 years.  I don't intentionally beat up, but if I get a scratch or a dent here and there, its no big deal.  It has its fair share of Rustoleum Satin Black on it now, but I still try really hard to keep body panals off rocks.  Its bound to happen though.  Body panals and beds are all easily replaced.  My big thing is keeping the cab straight.  As much as I hate them, I'm contemplating doing an exo cage just because I've seen so many go over and the amount of damage it does and I really don't what my cab caved in
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »
SMASH IT !  who gives a damn its their truck they can do whatever the hell they want to it
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 22, 2010, 09:11:43 AM »
I think it comes down to what you have a personal attachment to.  My buddy collects and restores old Fiats because he has a thing for them, to each his own.  I have a thing for 1st gen's so yeah I see what you are saying because I cringe sometimes when I see a build up that starts with a very nice truck and by the end is a bobbed, exoed, dovenosed, sawzalled rolling dent.  But if they did it to an 84+ wouldn't bother me because I don't have a thing for those. 
I am the same way.  If I see a 2nd gen clone truck beat to hell and back it makes me wonder but doesnt bother me.  When I see a 1st gen thats completely messed up and you can tell its all trail rash it does bug me since 1st gens are getting harder to come by.  Like coyote said you can wheel hard and not completely destroy your rig.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 22, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »
If you build some decent trail armor before you do too much wheeling and get your drivetrain built up with lockers/gears and such it's pretty easy to avoid massive damage.  There is no law that says you have to bump into everything on the trail and flop it every weekend. Some people just choose to drive like clowns because it's fun. I have a 1980 longbed that is fairly rust free and somewhat strait for the age.  I have been wheeling it alot but I won't try to smash it, because I want to keep it for a daily driver/mild trail rig.  The occasional dent is no big deal, but I might straiten it out if I have the time.

I had an 81 with no title and a bunch of missing parts... we beat the piss out of that one and wheeled it in competition. It looks like a raisen and it is still cool.  I can see both sides of the coin.  It can be a shame to waste a perfectly good old truck, but it just depends on what you expect it do do and how salvagable/useful it really is.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2010, 11:53:55 AM »
look at Marlins truck it looks show room new and it goes everywhere

:psss:  but that's not the entire original body, right?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

P-DiseToy24

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -230
  • Male Posts: 868
  • Member since Aug '09
  • DDNB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2010, 12:00:28 PM »
Smash it...... I like to beat up what ever I drive whether its brand new or 40 years old. 
I think every car I've ever owned has looked like a wrinkled tin can, and most started off looking pretty clean.

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2010, 01:11:04 PM »
Depends on the trails you wheel. Trils like the rubicon are pretty easy to keep a straight body but alot of the trails here in az if you slip a tire or miss a line then you are bound to beat up some sheet metal. Some stay off those trails but i didnt build and sink so much money into my truck so it could stay on easy trails. My truck is built to wheel tough trails and thats what i prefer to wheel. Tough trails have more risk of body damage then trails like the rubicon. Plus i dont ever drive mine on the street so having some body damae isnt a big deal.

CLC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 22, 2010, 01:55:48 PM »
:psss:  but that's not the entire original body, right?

I can answer that.  Except for the bed, the Crawler truck is original. However, you have to remember, we were 4-wheeling that truck before Marlin ever came up with his crawler gears, etc. We have had this truck since 1983 and have gone pretty much everywhere with it.

Mrs. Crawler :turtle3:

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #18 on: Jul 22, 2010, 03:43:03 PM »
and the frame

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=13795.msg152159#msg152159 <-

IronClad is correct, however I asked CLC to leave the swapped frame out of her reply because the original frame was in perfect working condition and even Marlin was sad to see the frame get swapped. Despite what that poster says about his old frame, in my opinion there was absolutely NO reason to change his frame, but Marlin at least feels that the "soul" of the truck remains because the cab is there. The changed frame was some goofy formality that in my opinion should not have taken place, but at least it is a 1980 frame and even from the same month of the truck if I am not mistaken :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 22, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »
Aye i wouldn't have let that fathead do anything dealing with the truck =P or really anything at all lol.  But yeah ive only seen a few frames that truely needed replacement ( one of mine even) and they were beyond abused ( jumped etc) so i doubt Marlins was so bad it needed replacement, But that one guy has no idea what he was talking about ever ;)
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:00:25 PM »
Depends. If a rig is already dented, and not worth fixing, then have at it, thrash away.

My truck had many dents when I bought it back in 2004. Both front fenders have dents...

Rear tail gate dented in, cracked, rusting and barely working...

Kind'a rusty frame...

Bed has a ton of drilled holes from a previous owner...

...and I kept all the original dents and the stale, faded paint.
...and had I junked it, I wouldn't be doing this today:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:18:01 PM »
Have you guys seen the updates to our About Us page? I still need to get a couple rigs updated, but check out these SA-WEET shots of Marlin's truck nearly 30-years apart on the same obstacle:

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 22, 2010, 04:34:55 PM »
We know you put those dents in the fenders Mike !!!
btw quit posting stuff I like to see so i can go outside and finish my sliders.  Gonna have to post a pic of the drivers side when i get it on.  I am trying something totally new to me so I hope it will look good.  I am sure it will work perfect.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #23 on: Jul 22, 2010, 05:13:10 PM »
I say make it as nice as you can, then break the shnit out of it.
If you see it, its for sale.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 23, 2010, 12:23:45 AM »
I can answer that.  Except for the bed, the Crawler truck is original. However, you have to remember, we were 4-wheeling that truck before Marlin ever came up with his crawler gears, etc. We have had this truck since 1983 and have gone pretty much everywhere with it.

Mrs. Crawler :turtle3:

That's what I thought but I didn't want to say for sure without knowing.  I swore I'd read somewhere that he'd been through some beds but that was about it for sheetmetal.
RIP KYOTA

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 23, 2010, 04:49:41 AM »
Have you guys seen the updates to our About Us page? I still need to get a couple rigs updated, but check out these SA-WEET shots of Marlin's truck nearly 30-years apart on the same obstacle:

Nice updates to that page!  I like the added rig descriptions a lot.  Looking good!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 23, 2010, 01:35:09 PM »
i know you get dents sometimes on accidents, but people who go out and just beat the snot out of a toyota and then part it out or junk it is what i dont like

Well good thing I don't build my rig and wheel for you then...  If damage happens so be it.  I don't go out and purposefully drag my junk across tree's to mess up the body but if it happens life goes on and I get more cherry stock sheetmetal to hack apart and damage so sissy lala's that want to restore everything out there have less good sheetmetal to choose from...  I figure in about 5 years I'll have depleted the PNW's supply of first gen sheetmetal..  :gap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,557
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #27 on: Jul 23, 2010, 01:42:20 PM »

Well good thing I don't build my rig and wheel for you then...  If damage happens so be it.  I don't go out and purposefully drag my junk across tree's to mess up the body but if it happens life goes on and I get more cherry stock sheetmetal to hack apart and damage so sissy lala's that want to restore everything out there have less good sheetmetal to choose from...  I figure in about 5 years I'll have depleted the PNW's supply of first gen sheetmetal..  :gap:

I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand I think it's funny as shnit but on the other hand if i ever bought a first gen i would hate you.
If you see it, its for sale.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jul 23, 2010, 01:49:48 PM »
I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand I think it's funny as shnit but on the other hand if i ever bought a first gen i would hate you.

If you wanna hate me then to the back of the line you go.. :talkingn:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 23, 2010, 01:51:06 PM »
I don't need a reason to dislike WT :yupyup: