Author Topic: rear axle brakes Q's?  (Read 1281 times)

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
rear axle brakes Q's?
« on: May 06, 2010, 03:29:41 PM »
i acquired an ifs rear axle that needs brakes. the ebrake levers at the drums are messed up, will the ebrake setup from my 81 rear axle work. also i priced out rebuilding the drum setup at its like 200 dollars. should i just put that towards a disk brake swap. i know trail tough makes a kit that uses front solid rotors and calipers but no ebrake obviously and sky has brakets for chevy setup with an ebrake but says just the ebrake calpiers alone are 300. so im basically asking for advice, if i can use some parts for my old brakes to fix the ifs axle is it worth rebuilding and staying drum or just disk brake swap it. im going to be running 35's. thanks for any and all advice. :thumbs:
81 swb 22re 35's

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: rear axle brakes Q's?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 06:54:25 PM »
if your old brakes are in good shape and the ebrake works just press the older brake backing plate onto the  ifs axle shaft
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

81yotalove [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:22:36 PM »
unfortunately the brakes on the original axle need brakes too or i would do that. what would be the easiest way to press the axle from the backing plate. my tires rub the frame and i want to fix it with the wider axle i already have to the wheel spacers for the front axle.

anyone is az have an ifs rear with good brakes ready to swap in. without the 3rd even. i dont need another one, or what about my first questions anyone have answers?
81 swb 22re 35's

graveyardrog

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 06:46:05 AM »
Had a similar issue with my ebrake on my 84 platform. I`m assuming your ebrake bellcranks are frozen and won`t move. For some reason Toyota in their infinit wisdom used aluminum, steel, and brass to construct these units. If not used, and combined with road grime, rust, and salt, electrollis will quickly take it`s toll and begin to freeze up this unit. My PO (not parole officer) told me the ebrakes hadn`t worked for 6 years, but he only used the truck to go to the garbage dump. Ok so we need to disasemble the bellcrank. Frist remove the ebrake cable attached to the bellcrank, remove the drum, and remove the 2 bolts holding the bellcrank to the backing plate. There`s a cable that needs to be removed (drum side) also. Tap the bellcrank with a hammer, it should fall out the back side of the plate. remove the small spring and rubber boot. Get yourself a hammer, PB blaster, and a couple of pieces of 2x4. you`ll notice a pin with a C clip on one end, remove it. Soak unit with PB blaster and beat on the steel part of the crank, and pin until it starts to move and continue until you can remove the pin and pull the crank out of the bell. Mine were so bad it took over an hour to completely disassemble. Once apart clean crud out of bell. I needed to grind off both sides, just enough of the steel crank to allow it to operate freely. Also apply a small amount of anti-seize to prevent the same thing from happening again. Reassemble and your good to go. Hope this helps. And yes I guess I drive a garbage truck