Author Topic: pinion angle problem on my 88 4runner SAS project  (Read 13791 times)

zr2runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
pinion angle problem on my 88 4runner SAS project
« on: May 02, 2010, 07:06:29 PM »
whats the best way to correct this?...  should i just put shims under the springs to move the angle?  i never plan to put it in 4wd on the street..

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
:thumbs: shims will work jus make sure ur still able turn properly
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Couple of questions;

Single or dual cases?

How much drop on your front hanger?

How long are your shackles?

How much lift on your springs?

CV or single u-joint on the t-case end of your front d-shaft?
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
single case... 2in drop hanger... marlin 2in lift shackles... 4in marlin springs and its the factory drive shaft that i re-tubed to make it long enough...

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
You need to take a look at my thread. I'm sure it will answer your questions. If you have any more questions, give me a hollar. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65878.msg840554#msg840554
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

motoracer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 319
  • Member since Sep '07
  • my geen bean
    • View Profile
is it a ifs drive shaft? if so you can do some mods to the cv  to make the drive shaft drop down more. stock ifs driveshaft only drop down to 25 degrees . i did a sas and i had to put shims under my springs ,modify my cv joint on my driveshaft and make it 3 inchs longer.there is  forms on here to show how to do this.http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/
pie

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
ditch the lift shackles for some banana shackles
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
ditch the lift shackles for some banana shackles

What will that do? I'm interested and listening too...
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
single case... 2in drop hanger... marlin 2in lift shackles... 4in marlin springs and its the factory drive shaft that i re-tubed to make it long enough...

You need to clearance your cv joint on the tcase side. Then think about adding dual cases in your future, then you will have to extend your drive line, It never ends...
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
i dont plan on ever doing dual cases... just want to stick with the 4.7s... i am going to get some shims today and see what that does for me

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
i dont plan on ever doing dual cases... just want to stick with the 4.7s... i am going to get some shims today and see what that does for me

If you shim it enough to make up that difference your caster will be so outta whack.  You need to clearance your drive-shaft looks like you're using one out of an IFS rig.  also if you get it shimmed just enough to get it attached when the front droops it'll bind...
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Years ago when I did my SAS I had a problem with the d-shaft binding. I called Jon at All-Pro and this is what he told me to do.

1. Clarence the CV for more droop, here is how to do it.  http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/cvmod/

2. Drill the shackles to 4.5 on center. I did this and it moved my pinion up about 8-9 degrees and I only lost about .5 of lift. I ran this way for about 2.5 years with out a problem. Doing this also puts the axle caster in about the stock location.

I am not a big fan of shims but if that is what you want to do get steel shims. The aluminum ones have a tendency to break and get spit out on the trail.

Do not say never on the dual cases, I said the same thing and a year and a half later I went d-cases and I now also have a Hi-pinion third in the front.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
i went to a local offroad shop here and they told me all i need to do is get a drive shaft with more clearance in the ends and need about 7in of slip... said they would build me one for around $300 and would 100% guarantee that it would take care of my problem... thats without putting any shims under the axle...  i have also been told to turn the drive shaft around and try using it that way... i held it in place and it looks like it would bolt up... i have to change the flange or drill the old one out in order to do that though...

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I will tell you right now that 7" of slip will not be enough. Over the years I have ran 14", 12", and 11". A little secret, the IFS single joint on the front d-shaft has the most angle of any stock D-shaft. Also by doing the CV mod I gave you the link to I was able to get 38-40 degrees out of my IFS CV. If you want an awesome, heavy duty front or rear d-shaft check out Dave'z Offroad Performance  http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=296

weakyota91

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
this is a very expensive route but i had the EXACT same problem when i finished my sas and drove with no front driveline for 6 months before i bought a 42 degree 1 ton c.v. "agricultural" joint cost 520 dollars wich makes for a very expensive front driveline but not going with a high pinion 3rd member would be the 1st thing i would do if i ever do another sas agian

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Do you understand what the  dual cases will do for your angle?
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
dual cases are not an option for me... i do not want duals... i think i am going to go with davez offroad shaft... i am going to contact them and get some info

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
just wandering why your not looking at doing duals??    is there a reason behind the madness.
i love oregon wheelin.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
If its a money issue than its understandable, but duals are nice!

Maybe he doesn't want to cut his floor board. idk

Duals would help a lot, so would a high pinion front diff, but your going to need a driveshaft that can handle that big of an angle..  Call up dave and get a driveline made.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
i would like to have a hp. cause my 6" lift and duals make a steep angle.    but i payed tom woods a nice coin for mine front shaft.  and that hp would deliver a better angle.  or dropping my rig down a bit.
i love oregon wheelin.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
dual cases are not an option for me... i do not want duals... i think i am going to go with davez offroad shaft... i am going to contact them and get some info

Before you spend a grip of $$$, make sure and come by my place. You can borrow my front shaft and test it out to see what you think. If you like it we can make one for you.

zr2runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
i am 100% happy with the 4.7 single case... just have no intent on putting another one in..

hilux-1983 (Rob) i am going to check your set up out and see if it will work with what i have... i just want to do it right the first time and have no issues with binding and not enough slip... i have had many drive shaft probs on my 82 and dont want a repeat... so spending the $$ to get it right would be ok with me

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Paying close attention to this one, seems I am in the EXACT same boat with my SAS, And I also do not want to go dual cases.  I plan on going with a built single case with 4.7's and the twin stick setup.

Nate
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Paying close attention to this one, seems I am in the EXACT same boat with my SAS, And I also do not want to go dual cases.  I plan on going with a built single case with 4.7's and the twin stick setup.

Nate
Your shackle angle sucks!!!! Did you move the front hanger forward?

YotaNate

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 276
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
It's Marlins SAS kit with the 4" springs up front, Hanger is mounted flush.  For the record the truck hasn't even been rolled out of the garage yet so I'm pretty sure it will settle quite a bit and push the shackles back in the process.  My driveshaft is hanging there at it's current max angle, which is obviously not gonna cut it!   :flamer:

Nate

Link to my build so far......

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=70165.0
"A CNN reporter, while interviewing a Marine Sniper asked.  What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?
The Marine shrugged and replied, "Recoil."

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Clearence the CV or get rid of it and run a single joint top and bottom. Drill the shackles to 4.5 " on center.

DoveGray85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
Here's a pic showing my drive line angle with 4" Marlin springs, dual cases, and an hp third. My shackle angle looks about like yours, near vertical. This is on an 85, so it's not an SAS. If you drill your shackles, won't that steepen your caster angle? That might lead you down the road of having to rotate your knuckle balls.

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
4" sas kit..

low pinion DS angle.

High pinion DS angle..

Dingman.

• Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
With that. ALL driveline vibrations are GONE in the front end, completely worth it IMO..

WisconsinYota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
I agree with clearancing the CV or running a single joint top and bottom.  I just completed a SAS on an '87 pickup and my pinion angle looks much like the original poster's.  I'm running ~6* caster right now, according to an angle finder on the top of my Marlin high-steer arm.  I just ordered 3* weld on shims to hopefully bring it to the 3* total caster ballpark, but I doubt that will bring the pinion up high enough to run a stock CV IFS front shaft.  I plan on clearancing the shaft and seeing where that gets me.

So I guess the question of the day is, even with the recommended 3-4* caster (which seems to be on the low end of the scale), does the pinion angle really improve all that much?
'87 Toy -  SAS, Marlin HiSteer, 5.29 Yukons, Welded Rear, Marlin Duals, Marlin 1600lb Clutch, 36x12.5" Super Swampers..Basic but functional (and expensive..)