Author Topic: FIRST TRUCK help??  (Read 7200 times)

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
Re: FIRST TRUCK help??
« Reply #30 on: Apr 26, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »
duals lower ur geares to give you an even lower low range basicly so you can crawl through roack an :pokinit: with little or no throttle depending on the gear selection of the second case of cource this requires cab modification to fitt the extra shifters and dshaft modification ie. rear shortened and front legnthened
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #31 on: Apr 26, 2010, 10:13:32 AM »
yeah i wasent plannin on just runnin out and gettin everything done rite away, i am trying to work out a plan. and i waS wondering wat the duel cases does and how it helps??
it dramatically slows the truck down so that you can go up or down steep inclines with ease and control
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Apr 26, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
Being able to approach an obstacle at slow speeds w/o the use of much throttle(if any), reduces the need to use speed to overcome difficult terrain, as well as reduces your speed for steep descents, or when dropping off of ledges, large rocks,  etc.  This ability gives you better control, reducing the tress on vital steering components, body damage, etc.  IMO, dual cases should be the very first mod to a stock rig after some 31's, even before a locker.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »
so it will make the engine harder to stall in the low range gear? and there will be more sticks?

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Apr 26, 2010, 06:57:35 PM »
so i found a nice 4runner with hy steer, dual cases, new driveshafts, welded rear, rebuilt transmission and transfer case and its all marlin crawer parts and a new 22re but im concerned about the WELDED REAR. any comments about that??

minicrawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 388
  • Member since Oct '09
  • BAM!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Apr 26, 2010, 07:23:23 PM »
ya dual cases make it easy to navigate obstacle without worry of stalling, makes "one luggin it" happen, and is the pimp deluxeness man! I've had my rear welded on all the trucks i've run and only real downside (granted its welded up correctly) is you burn up your tires, make em all racing slick style faster then would be with an actual locker. Most lockers like the Lockrite and Aussie allow one wheel to spin faster around turns so it doesnt create stress or eat up tires but still remains locked. I've been looking into the aussie locker for sometime now and it seems like a great product and they have tons of info on their website. I'd suggest buying that thing up man, always good to get parts already on the truck, but replace that rear end (easily done) when you get a chance since it'll be your DD. I'd also recommend the advice of others on here for realizing your own skill level, possibly building a truck up to learn about how things work and react. And this way you'd build skill driving and not rollover on something stupid your first time which seems to happen to those of us who are too GUNGHOE at times, and gain alot of knowledge!  My .02. But welcome to the kick a$$ world of Toyota and wheeling bud!
the rocks Rock in South D SON!

minicrawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • BAM!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Apr 26, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »
and yes, more sticks with dual cases, which means more options!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Apr 26, 2010, 07:35:01 PM »
so it will make the engine harder to stall in the low range gear? and there will be more sticks?
Yes, and yes.  With dual cases you can engage both cases, pop the clutch, get out of the truck, and the the truck will move forward w/just the idle alone.  You end up w/3 sticks, transmission, hi/lo and traditional 4x/2/-hi/lo.  The duals also allow you to run 2wd lo w/o spinning the front driveline, really makes it nice in stop-n-go traffic.  The sticks end up in a row along the tunnel, or you can modify the front the stick like I did so the two t-case shifters are side by side, similar to a twin stick look.
]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 04:20:13 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

minicrawlin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
  • BAM!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Apr 26, 2010, 08:00:26 PM »
man i dig your interior set up its sweet! build thread?

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Apr 27, 2010, 08:37:09 PM »
thanx. and will i have to get a whole new rear end?

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Apr 27, 2010, 09:00:30 PM »
you dont need the holt thing jus the spider geares shouldnt need the ring an pinion but jus buy a locker and stick in there :thumbs:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Apr 28, 2010, 04:57:07 AM »
and thatll take care of the problem of it bein welded?

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:23:23 AM »
One thing I would like to add is that you also should keep an eye out for a truck that has already had the engine swapped for a 2.7L out of a modern Tacoma.  Jumping to 160HP is a huge improvement for highway use as well as if you run larger tires.  The optimal setup then would be a solid axle older truck or 4runner with a 2.7 engine swapped into it.

My build list would be lockers and gearing, and then dual-range.  I've seen little 1950s era Jeeps jet up stuff that most people would shake their head at due to having the right setup - so raising the thing or putting bigger tires on it isn't going to do nearly as much as proper gears and diffs and the like.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Apr 28, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »
sure will

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Apr 28, 2010, 06:03:25 PM »
ight thanx.. how will the 2.7 liter effect gas milage??.

jeff22r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Apr '10
  • yeah i know its a jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Apr 28, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
yeah i wasent plannin on just runnin out and gettin everything done rite away, i am trying to work out a plan. and i waS wondering wat the duel cases does and how it helps??
dual transfercases it drops your 4 low to 4 extra f*&^!* low basically ask some one else for real details on gear ratios though.  and all my trucks are welded and everyone i ride with!! we have no prob steering

jeff22r

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Apr '10
  • yeah i know its a jeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Apr 28, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
but i agree dont get attached to your tires it will eat um up on pavement

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:59:54 AM »
ight thanx.. how will the 2.7 liter effect gas milage??.

It will get almost exactly the same as the 22RE due to it being a vastly more modern design. It's really a win-win scenario and a pretty common swap to have done(so finding one isn't impossible).  You could do it yourself for about 2-3K but it's a huge pain as you need everything plus the wiring, harness(s), fuses, computer, relays, and all the rest that are specific to the engine.  And an adapter for the drive train, naturally.  It's better to find one that has it already done.   Just like SAS - it's better to find one that has a solid axle already done as it will save money in the long run.

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Apr 30, 2010, 08:00:38 AM »
is that engine more mechanicaly promt to damage by water??

DoveGray85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Apr 30, 2010, 09:49:50 AM »
It will get almost exactly the same as the 22RE due to it being a vastly more modern design. It's really a win-win scenario and a pretty common swap to have done(so finding one isn't impossible).  You could do it yourself for about 2-3K but it's a huge pain as you need everything plus the wiring, harness(s), fuses, computer, relays, and all the rest that are specific to the engine.  And an adapter for the drive train, naturally.  It's better to find one that has it already done.   Just like SAS - it's better to find one that has a solid axle already done as it will save money in the long run.

I don't agree. It's much better to start with a stock rig and do everything yourself. It's not just about the money. It's about wheeling a rig you built yourself. You may have to spend some time learning to do mechanical work and how to weld, but so what? You're young. They'll be valuable skills to have no matter what. Plus, you'll know how to fix your rig when it breaks down out on the trail.

Stick with a 22re for now. They're cheap, and easy to work on. Save the swaps til later when you have more skill.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Apr 30, 2010, 10:41:31 AM »
Yeah I used to think that but remember, he's a teenager who is likely tight on money.  It's very easy to spend $8-10K building a rig before you know it when you could have just bought one for $4-6K that was ready to go.  Also, an engine swap or major engine tweaking isn't stuff for a first-timer to really do.  There's plenty besides the engine to tweak and upgrade that will still make it your own.

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:01:23 PM »
I agree with DoveGray85, build your own rig.  There are several reasons why I don't like buying other peoples rigs, the main one being who knows about the quality of work?  For all you know you are buying a total pile of poo.  Also when you break down on the trail, and you will break down, you will know how to fix it.  It is also very satisfying knowing that you built the rig that you are wheeling.  Yeah it might take a little longer especially since you are in high school, but it is the better route to go. 
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Apr 30, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
Also, if you are looking for an 84-89 I would try to find a 85.  It has a solid axle and they also came with the 22re.  Then I would get a rear locker, you will be surprised just how many things you can wheel over in a stock truck. If you get dual transfer cases you are going to have to look at upgrading your axle shafts so you don't start snapping them. That is if you go to bigger tires. 
83 pickup, 4.88s, chevys in rear, RUF, Dual Transfers, flat belly, 3RZ swap, disc brake x4, rollin on 36" irocs

IF YOU SEE A 20' PAC WEST/CARSON FLAT BED TRAILER FOR SALE CHECK OUT THE STOLEN SECTION.  IT MIGHT BE MINE!!!!

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2010, 07:48:18 AM »
thanx for the replys will this setup be helpful in mud too?

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »
Dual transfercases wont give you much in mud, but the lockers will help.  But why would you want to dirty your truck up going through mud?  :hammer:

bamajojo9 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2010, 11:32:31 AM »
its fun as hell

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2010, 11:34:36 PM »
Mud is good for your truck's soul.   :yesnod:

SFD4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
I know going through mud is fun but man is it a pregnant dog working on your truck afterwards.

83yota5960

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -20
  • Male Posts: 551
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2010, 10:30:34 PM »
you need to just spend a good amount of time just reading everything on marlin. read build threads and read and whatch and ask questions about there thread you will be so suprised how much you will learn be doing this just my :twocents:
83 short bed yota 35's 5.29's 4.7 f-150's arb front aussie locker rear high steer ifs rear axle
83 short bed yota 31 a/t mild lift welded ifs rear axle
99 audi A4 as my new daily driver.

Armyrat

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2010, 08:14:21 PM »
Where are you located? I might have something that would interest you.

1983 SR5 22R - parting out - This would be the perfect part swap onto a different chassis OR lots of elbow grease to spit shine the 83

20 forward gears and 5 reverse  :attention: