Author Topic: SEARCH suggestion for all NEWBS  (Read 604 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
SEARCH suggestion for all NEWBS
« on: Apr 20, 2010, 01:37:15 AM »
Ok, one thing you'll find out quickly is I, along with some others here, will urge newbs to search on their own rather than start a duplicate thread asking the same thing as 50 others.  It is often said that the search feature on here sucks.  Well, yes and no.  It has sucked royally at certain times, but if used right is a very handy tool.  Laziness is typically frowned upon on forums, not just this one, but pretty much any.  You may have to dig through several pages of threads to find what you're looking for, but that's the whole point of searching, and it saves others from having to again chime in on that which they've already chimed in on.

Here's what I recommend when searching:  Do not just type in the search box exactly what you want to know.  I hate this phrase but, think outside the box!  If all you type in is exactly what you're looking for, you won't likely find squat.  You don't always want to search in only the board which you feel your answer should be.  Don't count on others to put tech in the tech section.  People don't always post info or threads in the board where it should be, and miscategorized threads don't always get moved.  If you don't find the answer to your tech question in the tech board, try conducting your search from the main forum.

Let's say I want to know if I can run a 20r head on a 22r block.  Where I believe people make their mistake in searching is by only typing in "can I swap a 20r head on a 22r block?".  While that is likely the best way to search for the answer, it may not actually pull up pertinent info.  Try doing searches for "20r head", "22r block", "head swap", or whatever else you think may help.

Please just make a good solid effort to find the answer on your own.  Remember, if you have what you feel is a brilliant idea, chances are many others have asked the same question!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!