Author Topic: Weber carb questions  (Read 4769 times)

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Weber carb questions
« on: Dec 08, 2004, 07:38:34 PM »
hey guys...

My buddy has a '81 with a weber carb conversion and it seems to run a little rich- especially at high speed.  We need to get it leaned out so it will pass the emissions test here in New Mexico.  Any tricks or tips to leaning out the carb?  Can it be re-jetted with readily available VW application jets?  NWOR buttholes want a small fortune for the weber jet kit and I haven't found them anywhere else.

Any help is appreciated
Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
Re: Weber carb questions
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2004, 07:42:19 PM »
have you tried http://www.carbs.net?  i've had great luck with them.  they should sell all the jets and little parts you might need :thumbs:

reklund5 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2004, 08:58:38 PM »
Thanks for the tips...we'll check that out. 

WT- any experience here??

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2004, 01:46:24 AM »
Im just getting my feet wet in the webber buisness.  Im sure Ill be rejetting my webber early in the spring when I start driving that truck again.  What I can tell you is that they are super simple and damned easy to work on.  Ist thing Id to is lower the float.  Ill bet its set really high from the factory as mine was.  All you gotta do is take the top plate off and when you have it in your hand you'll see a tab that the needle assembly is attached to.  With the top plate upside down you'll see the float level, Ill bet the float is slanted downhill.  You need to bend the tab till the float is slanted the same degree uphill.  That will bring the level down to a normal setting.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:56:28 AM »
10-4 on that one Whitey. I lowered mine my it runs just fine. :beerchug:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2004, 11:58:09 AM »

this is my 2K post

geass some one will ask , why two kay     :crazyhappy:  :crazyhappy:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2004, 07:21:47 PM »
You'll wanna switch to smaller main and air jets, but I can't remember exactly which ones.  I think I had a 145 main when mine was smogged.  I don't remember where the air bleed screw was either, but you will wanna adjust it accordingly too.  Best bet is probably to contact weber directly and see what the 32/36 dgav comes with stock.  You'll know when you got it right, it will stumble, cough and sputter and be gutless, but will pass.  Good luck,   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Dec 11, 2004, 06:44:07 AM »
javascript:PopLinks('http://www.redlineweber.com')
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2004, 08:10:22 PM »
yall like those carbs?.... ive had nothing but bad luck with webber.... ive had that thing torn apart so many damn times, i dont know what to due with it now. it may be me, but i dunno... seems like when i get that thing set to where i want i, not three days later ill hafta do it over... it WILL NOT hold its setttings!... ive been looking and begging for a damn stock one its so bad!
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

reklund5 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2004, 08:15:30 PM »
Well, No, we don't really like that carb that is on my buddies truck, but it came on there.  If all else fails, I still have my intake/carb setup from before my EFI swap, and I'll strap it on there to get it to pass.  His truck will be getting a 3.4 soon anyway, but the emissions test is in January.

Thanks for all the tips.  I sent him on a mission to check with Weber on the settings and to try and buy some leaner jets.  I think you're right about it running rough when it is set to pass-  I'll let you know kneedownnate!   :beerchug:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2004, 11:36:45 PM »
Yea, mine coughed and sputtered, stumbled and fell on it's face after my brother set it up to pass, all the way to the smog shop.  As soon as I got done I went to a local shop and ordered some fatter jets and had him adjust it again to run right.  HUGE difference in power and performance, and mileage.  I went form 17-19mpg pre smog to 13-15 post smog.  Last year I put leaner primary jets in to get a little better mileage and average about 16 or so, but somehow pulled off 19 a few tanks ago.  Anyway, good luck to your buddy, if he has the patience he can get it runnin pretty good after he gets it back from smog.  Also, you hafta adjust the floats way high if you don't want it to die on a slight uphill.   Nate
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:29:23 AM »
never had a moments trouble from my 32/36  what are yall doing to your poor little webbers :down:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2004, 03:33:15 PM »
im tellin ya... that damn carb is making it easier and easier to put the 327 in there!... i prolly would if i had time!..
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2004, 04:45:06 PM »
hey if you really dont like that weber,  put it in a box and send it to me and i'll send you one of my stock carbs, 20R right??

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:15:49 PM »
hey man i would be more than willing to, but tomorrow i leave for the "woods" and wont be back till just before x mas, then ill be leaving again right after that... (military training)... ill be going back and forth from the woods like this for 6 months, and ill have assignments in between, so as you can tell for now im just happy that it runs period.... cause i aint got time for nothing!