Author Topic: Carrier Bearing  (Read 7823 times)

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Carrier Bearing
« on: Apr 03, 2010, 06:29:09 PM »
Does anyone make a heavy duty carrier bearing I just replaced mine like a year ago and it's shot already. I got it from Autozone.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Carrier Bearing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »
A factory bearing. 

That's you best bet unless you want to have a single piece driveline made.  They only difficulty there is you'll have to step up considerably in thickness of the tube, due to the length. 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2010, 02:38:15 PM »
The answer to your question is no, I looked. Then I went to a one-piece but with my style of wheel I kept bending them, no matter how thick walled they were. Therefore, I went back to a two-piece but I made a custom mount and a heavy-duty pillow block bearing. Been on there for some years with out a problem. However, my rig is trailered and sees very little street time.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

greg_k113 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
What does a factory one cost? And what is the deatails of a pillow bearing and how do you do it?

wayne_l

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
whats the bearing pillow block part number you used i found like 50 diffrent styles to fit the shaft but not one i could mis align a little bit for better angle ..
I love my country ,but hate my goverment ...

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »
whats the bearing pillow block part number you used i found like 50 diffrent styles to fit the shaft but not one i could mis align a little bit for better angle ..
I do not know the PN on the bearing. I just asked for a 1.5 H-D PB bearing. Do not really have a write-up on install so I will do the best I can.

Cut the horse collar and built a frame work out of 3 x .25 steel plate.

This is what the bearing looks like. This bearing has some misaligment built into it.

The bearing mounts to this bracket and slips inside the framework.

The bracket is only bolted into the framework with two bolts and allows for up and down and angle adjustment also.

Mods made to the d-shaft.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

wayne_l

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2010, 06:50:57 PM »
interesting way for another mouse trap ,thanks for sharing the info .. with the ford v-8 mine dont last long ..
I love my country ,but hate my goverment ...

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -184
  • Male Posts: 1,010
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Full throttle Rollin steady
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
this is a great idea, i saw you post on pirate about this the other week. im going to be using your idea, and combining it with my own for when i built my truck. the stock setup is just not designed for anything aftermarket. mine get trashed all the time from just having a lifted tacoma, i cant imagine a stock one holding up at all in the rocks. did you have to add any other spacers or washers to the setup to get the yoke to fit right?

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2010, 08:21:59 PM »
this is a great idea, i saw you post on pirate about this the other week. im going to be using your idea, and combining it with my own for when i built my truck. the stock setup is just not designed for anything aftermarket. mine get trashed all the time from just having a lifted tacoma, i cant imagine a stock one holding up at all in the rocks. did you have to add any other spacers or washers to the setup to get the yoke to fit right?
No.

85yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 96
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2010, 08:32:56 PM »
ditch that thing :wave: and get a one piece made    mine went in four months  :hammer:   it almost cost the same amount to get the one piece made as that    :pokinit: cost

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 08, 2010, 08:34:42 PM »
ditch that thing :wave: and get a one piece made    mine went in four months  :hammer:   it almost cost the same amount to get the one piece made as that    :pokinit: cost

ya but did you have a stock support bearing or did you do something like opps made?

85yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 08, 2010, 08:51:35 PM »
yeah i had stock     but why do all that?   no dual cases ?

greg_k113 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2010, 04:46:01 AM »
how does a carrier bearing hold up to a single case with 4.7 gears? I imagine that wouldnt last long.

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 09, 2010, 08:17:12 AM »
yeah i had stock     but why do all that?   no dual cases ?
Yes I have duals. My d-shaft was still over five feet long and a 123 inch WB and I was bending them on the places I wheel like the Hammers. Maybe if I had been running a CV on the T-case it would not have been as bad. It was really not that much work. I have not bent a d-shaft or had a bearing issue since I did it five years ago.

85yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 09, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
that makes scence    i think I'm gunna run a cv at the t-case and see what happens   but if that dont work i will deffinently go with your setup   i just really dont want a extra bearing to worry about 

-Matt-

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2010, 12:30:58 PM »
that makes scence    i think I'm gunna run a cv at the t-case and see what happens   but if that dont work i will deffinently go with your setup   i just really dont want a extra bearing to worry about 
your still going tol have issues, doesn't matter whether you have a cv or not it will probably still going to go to :pokinit:, as long as your trucks lifted and not the stock ride height then might as well make something that works well. i have a cv and mine went out in 6 months.. im on my new one and it already has signs of going out. mike (rock yoat) on here also goes through them every 6 months. i know having a tacoma also plays a role in them going out faster since theres more power/torque.

85yoter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
yeah i just have a little 4 banger    im hoping after my cases are in that will shorten the rear enough

95toyrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -124
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Jun '07
  • Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2016, 02:51:32 PM »
MY NAME IS HOLDEN AND I LOVE SUBARU'S AND SWEATY MEN
1995 toyota 4runner, sr5, 5" sas, ome 863 coils, extended links, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51430.0 SOLD

1996 Toyota Tacoma ex-2wd, 2rz, 3link 14"FOAs, dual ultimate cases, chevy rear, 37" MT/r's, 4.88's
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=91724.0 SOLD

2001 Taco Dcab, king coilovers, 4.56 gears, detroit, 33's, SOLD

1999 Taco extracab, 3.4 5 speed, sas'd on one tons, 37" km2's, spooled front, detroit rear, bobbed, tirecarrier, hydro asist, high steer. SOLD

2005 4runner, sway-a-way coilovers, all pro rear 3.5 springs, 285 ko2's on method NVs SOLD

2016 4unner Trail, Icon stage 6, 285/75 Toyo's, full armor

88 4runner SAS, 37's, duals, etc