Author Topic: Need driver side drop transfer case solution for R-series transmission  (Read 1572 times)

ventureforth

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
Been searching around and can't seem to find an answer. Is there any way to mate a driver side drop chain drive transfer case from a '99 Tacoma to an R151F ('86/'87)? The R151F has the 7-bolt cover, and '99 Tacoma uses the 5-bolt cover. I can't seem to find an adapter from Novak, AA, Marlin, Inchworm, etc... unless I'm just inept. I see adapters to put gear driven cases on newer Tacos, but nothing to put a newer chain drive cases on an older truck transmission (I know, who would want to do that?! Please don't flame.). There is inchworm's lefty adapter, but at $800...ouch! Or am I misunderstanding some of the adapter options and what I'm looking for is right under my nose?

Along the same lines, would a '99 driver side drop t-case mate up to an older '80s era R150F? Do they share the same output? Or would a newer Taco R150F mate up to the 22R-style engine with proper bellhousing?

I'm putting this setup behind a VW 1.9TD with the Acme adapter (which makes it a 22-R style engine). This is going into a Jeep XJ, which is why it needs to be driver side drop. I basically see two options (I think):

1. R151F with '99 Tacoma t-case
2. Older R150F with R151F bellhousing and '99 Tacoma t-case
3. Newer R150F with R151F bellhousing and '99 Tacoma t-case

I'm sure there's probably a dual-case setup that could work, throwing a driver side drop D300 on the back of a gear-driven passenger drop t-case, but I'm not going for a dual setup at this point. I also don't want to swap axles on the Jeep to make it passenger drop.

So, any thoughts?

I'd really like to hear options using the R151F most of all, as I already have the R151F and '99 Tacoma t-case. I could sell them, of course, and go with another option if a truly better one exists, but if there's any way to work with what I already have, I'd love to hear it.

Is this another option? http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/pr...products_id=72
Still, I'd like to find something that is slightly less expensive.

Thanks.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Im not sure on the imput side of things buy you may be able to use a Taco R sereis Tranny, at that point the T-case simply bolts up and you're done. As for companies offering such a thing, it's extremely rare that anyone would want to ditch a gear driven case for a chain drive. Gear driven ones are way stronger. So going the other direction is not something companies are interested in doing because its not a big seller.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html