Author Topic: Brake Problems Please Help....  (Read 2168 times)

Northern Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Aug '03
  • The Heart Beat of Japan!
    • View Profile
Brake Problems Please Help....
« on: Dec 05, 2004, 04:00:09 PM »
 :dunno:

O.K. ... I have a 90 4-runner with a v6. I removed the rear LSPV valve and installed a wilwood adj. proportioning valve by the master cylinder for the rear brakes. I removed the return line and capped the "t" on the passenger side. I still have the rear drum brakes,will go to disc's later. I have no brakes. I have a pretty good pedal with the truck not running. Absolutly no pedal with it running. I replaced the M/C with a new one. And that made no difference as well. I bled the brakes with the truck running and with it not.
Does anyone have any clues as to what the heck is going on with my runner????

please help.

Northern Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
Re: Brake Problems Please Help....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2004, 04:28:26 PM »
Also, I do not have any e-brake cables attached to the rear drums at this time.. could this be the problem? are the rear drum brakes adjusted by pulling the e-brake cable such as an elderado rear caliper??

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2004, 08:09:06 PM »
Did they work before you changed prop valves? If so, put the stock one back, and just cut off the arm.
The rear brakes are self adjusting. But they are usually sticky, and don't adjust on there own very well. Jack up the back, on the backing plate is a rubber rectangle plug with rounded ends. Remove it. Using a flat head screw driver you should be able to reach inside and rotate the adjuster knob. I can't remember which way to turn it though. It's either up or down. It has teeth, if you try one direction and it feals like it's slipping over the teeth, go the other way. You'll be able to feal, and hear it click. Count how many clicks you do on each side. Adjust them til there is just a little bit of drag when you try and spin the tire.
Hope this makes sense.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2004, 08:27:33 AM »
:dunno:

O.K. ... I have a 90 4-runner with a v6. I removed the rear LSPV valve and installed a wilwood adj. proportioning valve by the master cylinder for the rear brakes. I removed the return line and capped the "t" on the passenger side. I still have the rear drum brakes,will go to disc's later. I have no brakes. I have a pretty good pedal with the truck not running. Absolutly no pedal with it running. I replaced the M/C with a new one. And that made no difference as well. I bled the brakes with the truck running and with it not.
Does anyone have any clues as to what the heck is going on with my runner????

please help.

:dunno: what return line ???  :smack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Northern Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2004, 11:55:45 AM »
Thanks Fireball..
YA.. lost all brakes when I changed to the wilwood prop valve. I removed the stock lspv because it was pretty rusty. Trying to put all new stuff into the truck and finding snags......
I am going to try adjusting the rear drums tonight. I have been told that if they are to far out of adjustment that this can cause very poor pedal as well.

thanks again

Northern Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2004, 12:20:46 PM »
Hey Glen,
On my truck (not sure when it started.) I have two lines that go into my lspv.
One is the main pressure line, and the other is a bleed off that is connected to the passenger front caliper via T block in fender well.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2004, 03:18:29 PM »
:dunno: :headscratch:  uh okaaaaayyyyy  mine had 2 lines connected also,  one was the pressure line the other went to the rear brakes,  got pictures so i can see what your talking about, :headscratch:  possible its some kind of abs pulse return sysem :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way