Author Topic: 96' tacoma 4x4 3rz and body on 84' xtracab 4x4 chassis  (Read 3179 times)

D-nAsTy-MaX

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
96' tacoma 4x4 3rz and body on 84' xtracab 4x4 chassis
« on: Feb 28, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
i just bought a 84' toyota pickup 4x4 xtracab and a 96' tacoma 4x4 standard cab with warped frame and beat up front clip!

i am putting the 96' tacoma cab with 01-04 tacoma front clip and the 96' 3rz 2.7 motor on my 84' chassis using the 84' transmission, transfercase, and axles, due to already have 6" springs and 4.88's exct....

-i have looked at all the 3rz swap threads i could find, understood i need to use the 96' 3rz bellhousing with flywheel and clutch to bolt up the 3rz motor to my 84' transmission, is this correct???

-also understood i use the 84's radiator still due to 96's interfering with steering gear, is this correct??

-as well understood i can use the the 96's gas tank and lines for easiest swap. this correct??

-must reroute exhaust but using the 96' tacoma's cats exct... for sensors. correct??

-besides that it is just simple fabrication mod's of cab and front clip mounts, and using the existing engine mounts just modifying for them to connect, this right???

-as well i have to modify steering shaft using both shafts to work??

-must use 2wd t100 3rz oilpan, pickup, and dipstick right??

i just need to know if all this is correct and any other information i need to know.

thanks,
kevin

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
I have no idea, but that sounds like a sick project. There is a thread on the site called "The official 3rz knowledge database thread" I believe that should tell all :thumbs:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
i saw that 3rx thread but couldnt find out if the 3rz with its bellhousing would bolt up to my 84' transmission. and some other stuff i was trying to find.

see most the threads on 3rz swaps are just swappin the motor into the older toyota pickups not swapping an entire tacoma body and 3rz motor onto a 84' chassis, like im doing, using the 96' cab and 3rz motor on 84' chassis with 84' transmission and t-case!

oh and i'm doing tube cage tied into tube bed with the bobbed tacoma bedsides attched!

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Dont quote me but I think the 84' uses a G series and dont think that wil bolt up to a W series. But I could be wrong. You my friend have a W59, you can use a W56 for sure with a Gear Driven T-Case.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
i thought i saw on bevin's 3rz conversion thread reply #12 by bigmike that the w56 g52 and g54 all bolt to the 3rz bellhousing just then but not sure how accurate that info. is??

i believe i have a g52 in a 84' right??

and the 96' tacoma 3rz has a w59 which cant bolt to my 84' t-case to retain the toyota 8" axles i have??
and i wanna keep my toyota 8" axle setup

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
off topic, but what state are you in?
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
im in cherokee, north carolina

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
anyone got anymore information on this swap for me? anything i mentioned wrong??
thanks

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
come on guys need some input,

bigmike?? heard ya the expert on this,

just tryin to see what i need to know about doin the 3rz swap when swapping entire 96' 4x4 tacoma cab with its 3rz onto my 84' chassis/drivetrain

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
if you are swapping everything I would say nothing make motor mounts and get the tranny set up you need. Don't quote me on that but that pretty much sounds like a direct motor swap no wiring or anything. You will most likely have to change the tank or put a fuel cell in it with an inline pump because it will needs more fuel than an re and for odvious reason a 22r pump will not work lol. I would say thats it because the mojority of it will be the cab swap itself. I would do the motor first with the tranny and cases all that because it will be easier making everything then pull it and start on the cab plug everything in turn key start.
89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
thats wat i figured in order i planned on doin it just makin sure i wasnt wrong on anything and didnt need anything more than the t100 oilpan swap and swapping over the tacoma tank and lines along with the tacoma cab and 3rz motor and the 3rz bellhousing with it's clutch and flywheel to bolt up my 84' transmission. and modification of steering shaft.

the rest is just the obvious modifiacation of body mounts and engine mounts.

just trying  to make sure i'm not missin something?? and the 84' does have the g-52 trans. right?

thanks

D-nAsTy-MaX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
about to start this anyone got any info im missing or incorrect on??