Author Topic: bobbed bed/frame, wanna swap 63" or 52" chevy springs  (Read 5393 times)

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
bobbed bed/frame, wanna swap 63" or 52" chevy springs
« on: Feb 25, 2010, 07:17:31 PM »
hey guys, i am doing some more work to my 83 yota shortbed. i already bobbed the bed all the way up to the rear shackles... that's my question.

Obviously i cant move my rear shackles back unless i mount on the back of the frame rails, and wasn't sure if moving the front hanger up to amount to the longer spring would set my wheel to far forward in the wheel well.

I know a buddy of mine is swapping 52" chevy springs up front on his sas'd tahoe so i was curious, do the 52" springs twist up well, or similar to the 63"? i'm running a longer shackle on the rear of my truck now with the stock length 51" lift springs and figured the 52" swap would be a bolt up and wheel project. my rear shackle angle is not correct right now as it is and a little longer spring would make it perfect.

Any advice would be awesome ladies and gents. i used the search bar but couldn't find anything on the 52" chevy spring swap which makes me think it might be a worthless upgrade.

thanks guys :beerchug:
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
someone conivince me chevy 52's are awesome. heres some pics of my junker to get some attention

Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
the 52" springs on my 3/4 Chevy flex great I swaped them in after I got sick of getting beat to death by the procomps I had on it. and they used to woork good on the rear of the truck before I swapped in 56" springs in the rear. but i have no idea how they will act under a Toyota.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
i'll be seperating the leaves and probably running 2-3 leaves per spring to soften them up. the 52's on my buddy's tahoe flexed for days as well. thats where i got the idea, and they are almost perfect length for an easy swap under a yoter!

tony moniz

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
i had already choped the frame to the stock shackle mount too before i discoverd 63s too, so when i did my swap i put the new shackle as far back as i could , set the angle and thats where the front mount got burned in. lost 2 inches of wheel base, gonna gain it back with RUF. but i have no bed to worry about the wheel well so this might not help to much. unless you want to spend a lot of time on body work relocating the wheel well :ha_ha:

yoter4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
haha i still gotta finish bondo on my 4 hour job bobbed bed as it is! Was my daily driver so looks had to be somewhat descent on the junker yoter im putting all the money into, but now that i bought a embarrasing little honda accord... the toyota is getting all the trail goodies i've wanted to swap as i drove it everyday.

i think i'll do 52's because length and axle placement shouldn't change all to much, it has a god awful long shackle on the rear from the previous owner so i think they will work good for this swap. Thanks for the tips guys.

- what vehicles have the 52's under them? suburbans and tahoe's mostly correct?