Author Topic: Just order two Aussie lockers...any experience with this brand?  (Read 4314 times)

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
I ordered a couple Aussie lockers for my daily driver.  I drive 32 miles one way to work and sometimes it snows a bunch around here so I figured I could use them in the runner.  I love being welded or spooled in my other rigs, but as a DD it'll kill my tires and I want the traction.  Anyone had any experience with these?  I haven't heard anything bad and the price was real reasonable-239.99 each.  I don't think I've ever seen Lockrights that cheap.  Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving break (those of you who had the 4 days off-sorry to the ones that had to work :( )
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Good deal on the extra traction!  But yes lockrites can be gotten for that much $$, Ive got one and there is another on its way that will bring the total to just under $250 for the pair...
I havent heard any bad reviews of aussies from anyone so far.  They seem to be a good setup.
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2004, 03:10:53 PM by WHITE_TRASH »
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
...of course it's good, ...it's a lock-right copy...   :hammerhead:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

SWAMPER

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 790
  • Male Posts: 3,599
  • Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
:nonono: no lockright copy this "Aussie" locker is the shizel dizel :thumbsup:
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
No copy?  Yeah right.   :shake_head:

I've run the Lock-rights for years with great success.  Most of the time you don't know it's there.  You will develope a different driving style in compensation for the minor quirks involved.  I like the fact that my tires don't wear as fast as if I were spooled(I have one spooled but only carry it for a trail spare).  For my daily driver I have two Lock-rights.   
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2004, 05:48:08 PM by hammerhead »
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

fritz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 369
  • Member since Nov '04
  • snow Crawlin'
    • View Profile
i've got one up front, and its sweet so far. the only difference i notice is more steering resistance. no pops, clicks, anything!

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
It may be based on the lockright but Ive read many write ups of ppl using the aussie and they say that you cant even  notice you have a locker in the street (rear axle)
1985 Toyota Pick/Up longbed...bobbed 15",  lifted 5", 36's.....http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=36992.0

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
I'll give you guys a full report once they're in.  Thanks for the replies.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
well your lucky....they still dont make one for my rear axle :rivers:

Bob Garrett

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Lone Star Land Cruisers
    • View Profile
I have two of 'em on my 83. Only two trail runs so far, but they seem to work well. Harder to steer when locked, but the front unlocks pretty easily (I also have a twin stick for the t-case, which helps). I can hear the rear ratcheting when turning corners on the street, but other  than that, no problems. Haven't driven it in the snow (my 80 series LC is much better for that), so I can't offer any thoughts on that, other than I prefer selectable lockers for snow.

Bob
Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
83 Mini Truck

Trail-runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have one in the rear of my 4-runner.  It also ratchets bad around corners.  In parking lots, my truck will hop and buck a little, but off-road it is great.  I can live with the little "parking lot dance", it is a small price to pay for the offroad performance.

SWAMPER

• Member since May '04
  • Semper Fi
    • View Profile
How long have you had it...I heard that once you "break" it in the ratcheting minimizes.

Bob Garrett

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Lone Star Land Cruisers
    • View Profile
I only have about 600 mi on mine.

Bob
Bob Garrett
95 FZJ80
83 Mini Truck

Trail-runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -39
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I have put over 4500 miles on it, but it still ratchets just like it did the day it was installed. :dunno: I was told by Bill at Aussie it would get better with age.  To me that was BS, you might get used to it with age, but it won't "quiet down" with age.  Most everybody uses them in the front.  I think this is why they don't hear them ratchet.  How often do you have a front locker equipped 4x4 on a paved road locked in?  Not to often!  You will notice your truck will jump and buck a little more in a concrete parking lot, than one with asphalt.  But like I said in my prior post, that is the small price you have to pay if your trail rig is also your DD.  Just my :twocents: 

Skim

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 60
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
I've got a Lock-right with about 10K on it no problem.

A buddy has the Aussie locker in his 85 in CO and has no problem with it, had it about a year now.
85 Hilux Long Bed - For Sale

militarymudder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Dec '04
  • if my tires are higher than my cab..... HELP!!!!!
    • View Profile
i have a aussie in the front of my yota.. and a lock rite in the rear... i notice the lock rite more on the road than i due the aussie..., but on the trail, they both work well and that is all i care about... :rockingout:  :rockingout:  :rockingout:
84 toy, bobbed, chevy rears, rear toy fronts, locked f/r, 5 in of lift, 5:29s, rebuilt 20 r, 34 in swampers, 8000 lb ramsey to take me where the lead foot is to heavy!!!...
future mods... crossover steering, and dual ultimate crawler !!!
 this is the KRITT'R GITT'R express... so get in, sit down, shut up, and HANG ON

94toytruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 175
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Jun '04
  • kreepykrawler
    • View Profile
    • rightcoast4x4
got one in ft diff.works good so far.broke a long side inner and a long side birf so far and didnt affect it.it does mak steering harder when its under load but its a locker they all will.mine is quiet never clicks but if messing around going straight in loose dirt can feel it lock.im happy with mine
95 x-cab truggy, 39 pitbull's on KMC's and 60/14b with chromo's, ultimate duals, linked and Co'ed

www.rightcoast4x4.com<<<get it