Author Topic: OLD Black and White pictures of people wearing masks. please look!!  (Read 6336 times)

swapped89

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 1,221
  • Member since Aug '09
  • Not all who wander...are lost
    • View Profile
So the other day i was hangin out with some family and we got to looking through old photo albums. These pictures struck me as very odd and im wondering if anyone has a clue what kind of people took pictures like this? or any info at all. One person said they thought it was Hitlers family IDK.  The pictures kinda give me the heeby jeebies.

SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61345.0 

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Deffinetly civil war era.
They are not gas masks or anything like that, just like animal masks.
Only wierd thing is that it looks like they are trying to take a portrait without people being able to identify them if it was ever found.

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
All right, civil war era, anyone else have anything to comment on about these pics?
SAS 89 p/u 3.0 5speed, bobbed, locked, ready to play in the rocks. or wherever the pavement ends :)

a wise man listens and observes more so than he opens his mouth.. and when he does it is valuable information....   (twistedtoy92)

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
So wait I'm lost they were in your family picture ablums? Maybe it was just young couples messing around for pictures or halloween and they were a little higher up class and could afford pictures of that?
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
The first known "Furrys"   :rofl:

ok,  idk.   i would be courious to know why.
I like to Drive!

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Given the "Mammy" headgear on those seated in the photos, I'd say it has some racial overtones...makin' fun of the darkys.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Given the "Mammy" headgear on those seated in the photos, I'd say it has some racial overtones...makin' fun of the darkys.

You might be on to something.
I like to Drive!

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
So wait I'm lost they were in your family picture ablums

X2 :headscratch:

MOM !!! is there something we need to talk about ??? :dunno:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
I linked this thread to the closest thing I know to a human encyclopedia, my older brother. This is his response...

"Probably not as old as the Civil War (the late unpleasantness) ... people tended not to fart around for photos.  I'd say, given the straw skimmer on the guy on the right, its turn-of-the-century.  Those are minstrel masks & costumes.  Not upscale shows like Zeigfield's or "Pop" Christy's, but a rural effort.  Notice the simplicity of the frocks that all 4 are wearing.  No hot-stuff wardrobe & no finesse in the masks."

For you Yankees..."The Late Unpleasantness" is what we Southerners call the civil war...when we want to be polite. Otherwise we call it "The War of Northern Aggression".

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
I linked this thread to the closest thing I know to a human encyclopedia, my older brother. This is his response...

"Probably not as old as the Civil War (the late unpleasantness) ... people tended not to fart around for photos.  I'd say, given the straw skimmer on the guy on the right, its turn-of-the-century.  Those are minstrel masks & costumes.  Not upscale shows like Zeigfield's or "Pop" Christy's, but a rural effort.  Notice the simplicity of the frocks that all 4 are wearing.  No hot-stuff wardrobe & no finesse in the masks."

For you Yankees..."The Late Unpleasantness" is what we Southerners call the civil war...when we want to be polite. Otherwise we call it "The War of Northern Aggression".

I see I see. thanks for that.

Its not my family per say... Its my Girlfriends, step moms, family.
the album is from her step moms great aunt.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
What is a straw skimmer?
I like to Drive!

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
the guy on the left reminds me of mike meyers from halloween eeek

fade

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -9
  • Male Posts: 1,018
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
What is a straw skimmer?

Its a old fashoined hat...
96 horunner 3.4 elocker armored
86 mini truck 18" rays
09 highlander
70 suburban

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
I like to Drive!

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
So did you jack the pictures? shits creepy...
this my man lysol, fresh out the joint

swapped89 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
So did you jack the pictures? :pokinit:s creepy...

Na i didnt jack'm i just took pictures of the pictures with my iphone.

The guys masks remind me of the clown mask from the band "slipknot". Ya they are kinda creepy.

1972TLC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 16
  • Member since Nov '09
  • newbisaurus
    • View Profile
Either the two women are African American or they are two white women that painted their hands black. Can't exactly tell which it is because their hands look naturally black but the color around their eyes and mouth is white. But is the white the true color of the women's skin or just a color painted on their masks?  :headscratch:

Maybe two men (brothers?, neighbors?) were having relations with these two possibly African American women. Perhaps they wanted a "couples" photo? Since that would not have been acceptable back then perhaps they did indeed where masks so they could have a "couples" photo without anyone knowing who was being photographed.  :dunno:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile

This was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the pictures.

Interesting though!
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
Either the two women are African American or they are two white women that painted their hands black.

If, indeed, they are photos of a local minstrel troop...they are more than likely men, with blackened hands...not wominz. There seems to be something lacking in the boobage area, no  :boobs: ?

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
If, indeed, they are photos of a local minstrel troop...they are more than likely men, with blackened hands...not wominz. There seems to be something lacking in the boobage area, no  :boobs: ?

They must've been hard up for women, if they are men, because they're wearing skirts also.
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
They must've been hard up for women, if they are men, because they're wearing skirts also.

It's common, throughout history, for male actors to play female roles...it doesn't happen just in San Francisco!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

NoPower

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 80
  • Member since Mar '07
  • Wish the 87 had V8 power...
    • View Profile
Ummm that's creepy  :yikes:

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Wouldn't matter if they were rockin' some motor boats in there. With those big heavy jackets on i'm sure they're smushed down.

Looks like painted hands to me.

but on the other hand one males wearing gloves... the other looks like a light shade of brown?
R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
motor boats

I like that. I've never heard that name before.

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
Wouldn't matter if they were rockin' some motor boats in there. With those big heavy jackets on i'm sure they're smushed down.

Looks like painted hands to me.

but on the other hand one males wearing gloves... the other looks like a light shade of brown?

The photos are very yellowed, and if it's the summer or just about any time in the south, even the whitest of us can get browner...It's call a "TAN".. :dunno:

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
maybe they are interracial couples that had to hide there identity back in the day

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
I think abnormaltoy's brother nailed it really.  If you google "minstrel masks" you'll see it was a pretty common thing way back when.  They're just actors and must have been performing that day.
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
maybe they are interracial couples that had to hide there identity back in the day
is this deja vu ??

Either the two women are African American or they are two white women that painted their hands black. Can't exactly tell which it is because their hands look naturally black but the color around their eyes and mouth is white. But is the white the true color of the women's skin or just a color painted on their masks?  :headscratch:

Maybe two men (brothers?, neighbors?) were having relations with these two possibly African American women. Perhaps they wanted a "couples" photo? Since that would not have been acceptable back then perhaps they did indeed where masks so they could have a "couples" photo without anyone knowing who was being photographed.  :dunno:
:woohoo:  NO i'm NOT loosing my mind :cheese:

:eek:

a very long time ago i saw a picture of someone similiarly dressed. I asked my grandmother who it was and all she said was "we dont want to talk about that"

:yikes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I see I see. thanks for that.

Its not my family per say... Its my Girlfriends, step moms, family.
the album is from her step moms great aunt.

well, at least its not any blood kin :ack:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way