Author Topic: Best 22R mods  (Read 50870 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Best 22R mods
« Reply #60 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:14:17 PM »
if you have a carburetor that can do it you can also water inject it, that will bring up compression a lot.  unfortunately it costs you the life time of the engine which will be a lot shorter. 

Care to expound on that?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoda87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 29
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:12:12 PM »
when you water inject an engine it significantly cools the fuel/air mixture which allows it to be compressed more than normally which boosts the power out put while also making it less likely to detonate prematurely on the next cycle.  The down side is that you can only water inject when the engine is at full throttle and wide open or you run the chance of drowning out your pistons by flooding them with water.  The other way that it can hurt your engine is that when the water droplets take on the heat of the combustion the resulting steam cranks up the pressure in your cylinders (basically turning heat into pressure) which your standard engine won't be able to take for very long.  it is a great concept and helps a lot with fuel economy, boosted power output, and cooling of the engine, but it greatly increases the amount of pressure that your engine has to deal with
Theres only one way to find out... Boom!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:40:06 PM »
What forum might you have read that on?  It doesn't matter what rpm the engine is at, you just have to meter the water delivery just like you would fuel. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yoda87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Mar 05, 2010, 02:53:36 PM »
i actually found this out talking to my mechanical genius of a grandpa then looked into it a little bit more just surfing the web, a lot of the things i found tho were for supercharger/turbocharger application because it looks like they're used to help with cooling on those systems

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Mar 05, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
water injection does work on specific aplications....... and it makes the cylinders and exhaust valves very clean.... its like steam cleaning your engine......
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

locked 4x4

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 466
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Mar 05, 2010, 08:45:35 PM »
I think ive heard of them using water injection on old military trucks back in the day to get a little extra power out of them.

yoda87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Mar 05, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
i'm not saying its a bad idea, just that if you want to try it i'd replace the standard head gasket, advance your timing, and only run premium gasoline

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:17:17 AM »
I don't post here often, but I'm going to do it on this thread.  I am doing so to clear up some errors and misinformation, not to hurt your feelings.  That said, this is going to be a massive e-beating, because there is a lot of nonsense being spouted here and you need to stop it.  Get your Nomex jammies on and prepare for a massive pick-apart.

My first comment is this: water injection will not do squat, on the road or off, for a typical naturally aspirated 22R.  If you believe me on that, great - skip the rest.  If you don't believe me (and, if you don't know me, you shouldn't just believe everything you read) then read on and I will explain why.

if you have a carburetor that can do it you can also water inject it
Ignoring for a moment the fact that the first step in getting usable power from a carbureted 22R is ditching the carburetor in favor of fuel injection, water injection has nothing to do with "having a carburetor that can do it" because there's not an automotive carburetor alive that has built-in water injection!

that will bring up compression a lot.
It most certainly will not.  Static compression ratio is a simple mathematical issue of volumetric proportion.  In shorter words, it's a matter of how big some things in the motor is compared to how big some other things is.

Dynamic compression is affected by the static compression ratio as well as valve timing, engine speed, temperatures, manifold absolute pressure, etc etc and could be influenced by water injection if you were spraying massive amounts of water - which you wouldn't, because there is no benefit to it on a timid forklift engine like a stock 22R.

unfortunately it costs you the life time of the engine which will be a lot shorter.
Absolutely not true.  Assuming that you spray reasonable amounts of water, engine life would not be decreased.  If you choose to spray unreasonable amounts of water, you will get the results you earn - chiefly, failure!

same thing with advancing your timing, it gives you more power and better gas mileage
Whoa, whoa, hold up there, Ace.  You are making the assumption that the stock spark advance curve can be improved across the board by moving the entire curve forward by an equal amount.  While there may be some improvement to be had by advancing timing a couple of degrees, it is typically not universal.  A better place to start is by rebuilding the distributor, making sure that the mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms both work properly.  Neither of those should be assumed on anything old enough to have mechanical and/or vacuum advance distributors.

but if you do it too far its harder to start your engine and burning too much before tdc you can end up damaging the head and/or the pistons
This (or some portion of this) I will agree with: If you run more spark advance than your engine can handle, it will detonate, and you will get the results you earn - chiefly, failure!

when you water inject an engine it significantly cools the fuel/air mixture
Well, not exactly.  Water has a very high specific heat.  In other words it can absorb a lot of heat without raising its own temperature, compared to other materials.  When a fine mist of water is introduced to a piston engine's combustion process, it can remove a lot of heat from the cylinder without putting out the fire.  This act - removing heat - is what helps eliminate detonation.

which allows it to be compressed more than normally
Well, sort of.  Eliminating detonation allows more dynamic compression.  However, injecting water does not change the engine's compression ratio.

which boosts the power out put
Again, only sort of.  If you are running stupid amounts of boost and need to eliminate detonation, water can help, and that will boost power.  However, spraying water into a dog-eared 22R will not increase compression; seeing as there should be no detonation without the water, spraying water will not eliminate detonation that does not exist; and thus will not increase power.

while also making it less likely to detonate prematurely on the next cycle.
Again, if it is properly tuned, a stockish 22R should be nowhere near detonation even without water.  You are solving a problem that you don't actually have.

The down side is that you can only water inject when the engine is at full throttle and wide open or you run the chance of drowning out your pistons by flooding them with water.
Seeing as water injection only provides benefits under load, there is simply no point in spraying it at any other time.  And again, any reasonable volume of water, sprayed under load, would not damage the engine.  You can run far more water than the engine can use, and it will give you fair warning by temporarily running rough and losing power long before it checks out.  Been there, done that, printed the T-shirts, sold the movie rights long ago.

The other way that it can hurt your engine is that when the water droplets take on the heat of the combustion the resulting steam cranks up the pressure in your cylinders (basically turning heat into pressure)
Ahhh...well, no.  Yes and no, actually.  In theory, the elimination of detonation (again, solving a problem that you shouldn't even have) brings peak cylinder pressures down.  In practice, you may also see an increase in BMEP (look it up) as the water flashes to steam.  However, because so much heat is removed from combustion, you get more average pressure and lower peak pressure.  That means a longer, gentler push on the piston, without the violence that high temperatures brings.  That is a VERY good thing, because it makes more power with less stress on internal components.

which your standard engine won't be able to take for very long.
Incorrect - unless you can show me an engine that lives longer under short, sharp, violent, blistering hot combustion events than it does under longer, cooler, gentler ones.

it is a great concept and helps a lot with fuel economy, boosted power output, and cooling of the engine,
Only if you are running pisswater fuel that cannot accommodate the staggering high compression ratio of a 22R, or running higher dynamic compression and/or more spark advance than your fuel warrants.  The cooling comment is correct, but only if the engine is running outside the parameters of the cooling system (which indicates, no surprise here, a failing cooling system) or one of both of the two conditions above are being experienced.

but it greatly increases the amount of pressure that your engine has to deal with
Technically correct answer: "Only sort of, maybe".  Practical answer: "No."  See three paragraphs up.

i actually found this out talking to my mechanical genius of a grandpa
Be careful now.  With all respect due our elders, he may or may not be a genius.  The facts that he is a) old and b) related to you do not make him automatically intelligent nor automatically correct.  It also does not guarantee that he is telling you the truth, or even that he remembers the truth in its entirety.  And certainly there is no guarantee that you understand it fully.  If you do not understand it fully, as seems to be the case, I am willing to bet significant sums of money that you are unable to even repeat it as he told it to you.

then looked into it a little bit more just surfing the web,
Caution is warranted here.  There is no better way to find every idiot in the world than to give everyone a computer and internet access, assure them anonymity, assign zero consequence for their actions, and turn them loose on an audience of infinite followers hanging on every word.

a lot of the things i found tho were for supercharger/turbocharger application because it looks like they're used to help with cooling on those systems
Bingo.  Why?  Because turbo/SC applications have huge inlet temperatures, huge combustion temperatures, and huge peak combustion pressures.  Water injection can address all three of those conditions with no ill effects, and can do it for pennies.

I think ive heard of them using water injection on old military trucks back in the day to get a little extra power out of them.
I suspect it's not trucks, but planes you read about.  Water injection was a major player in getting huge power out of military aircraft in WWII.  Check out this 2800 cubic inch badass - 18 cylinders, turbocharged, water injected, and generally built out of solid, 99.4% pure awesome:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_&_Whitney_R-2800

i'm not saying its a bad idea, just that if you want to try it i'd replace the standard head gasket, advance your timing, and only run premium gasoline
No no no.  If you want to try it, first have a reason to try it.  Have a problem to solve.  A mild 22R simply does not have the problems that water injection solves.  Advancing the ignition timing until you find detonation is absolutely not the way to find the best timing for optimum power.  And advancing the ignition just to cause detonation,so that you can then quench detonation with water injection is like stabbing yourself in the hand so that you can put on a Band-Aid.  Finally, as I said above, water injection acts as an anti-detonant.  That means that you might get away with lower octane fuel than you would without water.  It does not mean that you need higher octane fuel than you would without water injection.

Moral to the story: For the good of those unlucky enough to read what you write, either know what you are talking about, or don't talk about it.

Can I go to bed now?  :sleepy:

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Mar 06, 2010, 07:49:55 AM »
My 79 Pete has the "desert cooling" Package that included a 10 gallon water tank and nozzles in the fresh air ducting.  The literature claims a denser air charge for mometary power gains.  The tank is pressurized off the air system and it has a spring loaded switch so you had to hold it on.  I took it all off and my dad adapted it to his Dodge/Cummins and he says he gets lower EGT on long grades pulling his 5th wheel and less smoke as well as a smoother idle and quieter motor after a lot of use.  Benefits to a 22r, zero in my book.  It has to do with cooling the air much like the ice boxes that the Honda guys use.

yoda87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Mar 06, 2010, 08:18:21 AM »
 :hammerhead: def should have done some more research before i even attempted to type. thank you for the clear up

z 12

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »
you could advance the timing up a bit, it burn more gas but it be stronger

ezjumper8

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Jun 01, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
i just bought a 1986 toyota pickup, and it isn't running the best. It keeps backfiring , does anyone have and ideas or tips to fix this?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #72 on: Jun 02, 2014, 06:59:50 PM »
i just bought a 1986 toyota pickup, and it isn't running the best. It keeps backfiring , does anyone have and ideas or tips to fix this?

first thing I would do is check the timing, both cam and ignition.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way