Author Topic: 4Runner exhaust fumes issues........  (Read 5875 times)

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
4Runner exhaust fumes issues........
« on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:52:34 PM »
if you have a 4Runner, you know the exhaust fumes issue im talking about...... the one where if you roll the back window down while driving you get all those nice sweet rich smelling fumes of exhaust coming in the cab as the back draft comes in........

has anyone here figured out a way to prevent that from happening? i noticed its not such a huge issue with the later 4Runners and on...... the only thing i can figure out that they did was add the rear defuser on the top rear section of the gate to (from what i can gather) deflect wind down towards the window preventing that low pressure area of wind while driving to suck in the fumes......  :headscratch:

i think i may pick one up from the local yard and give it a try and see what happens....... ill keep you guys posted.  :biggthumpup:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: 4Runner exhaust fumes issues........
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:55:06 PM »
Where does the exhaust dump out on your 4runner? When it dumped out the side of my old one, i never got any fumes. As soon as I got rid of the tail pipe and just had a turn down it was horrible. On my new runner I have just a muffler and a tip on it that is slanted and its not toooooo bad but it still sucks.

EDIT: On a 2005 that I was driving around the fumes were actually pretty horrible. It was all stock too
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2009, 12:02:29 AM »
i have a full tailpipe run out the stock location. i also had my 87 with a sligtly turned down tailpipe in the same location and still did it. also, before i put the new system into the truck, it had a turn down and out the side exhaust from the previous owner and still did the same thing.

the only thing ive found to combat the fumes from coming in is to have the rear passenger windows open from the rear side forward. but some still get through.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 02:14:37 AM »
if you have a 4Runner, you know the exhaust fumes issue im talking about...... the one where if you roll the back window down while driving you get all those nice sweet rich smelling fumes of exhaust coming in the cab as the back draft comes in........

has anyone here figured out a way to prevent that from happening? i noticed its not such a huge issue with the later 4Runners and on...... the only thing i can figure out that they did was add the rear defuser on the top rear section of the gate to (from what i can gather) deflect wind down towards the window preventing that low pressure area of wind while driving to suck in the fumes......  :headscratch:

i think i may pick one up from the local yard and give it a try and see what happens....... ill keep you guys posted.  :biggthumpup:
I had one of those wing things before & it didn't help. It helps keep the rain off the back window but with the window down it might get worse  :twocents:

My 87 4Runner has the pipe straight out the left side stock location & I don't get the fumes  :dunno:
« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2009, 09:05:12 AM by Tallchevy »
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

b0x

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 110
  • Member since Aug '09
  • 187k miles & counting
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 06:51:14 AM »
I never notice the exhaust smell from my 95 when the exhaust remained at its stock location. (behind driver rear tire) With cutting the exhaust back to under the truck, slightly pointed down. I get a smell from time to time. Best to place exhaust tip in stock location to prevent the fumes from encroaching in the cab. :thumbsup:
New Mexico wheeling

Travis H

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -367
  • Male Posts: 789
  • Member since Sep '08
  • 5100 ft
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 05:19:54 PM »
if you drive with just the back window down and the other ones closed the fumes do not come in.

crawlerdad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 395
  • Member since May '09
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2009, 01:17:25 PM »
I know a guy that ran the exhaust out the side before the rear tire with a slight turn down drivers side and the problem went away. I have a first gen runner so I know this problem well.
Precision guess work done here.

SQUIRREL MONSTER [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2009, 01:34:59 AM »
yea, i noticed on the freeway with the rear window down and the rest up, i dont get the fumes. the wing is something i am considering but hope it works....... dont want unwanted holes in the top. gonna try it though we'll see what happens.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2009, 08:26:03 AM »
On my 86 I had it in the stock location and couldn't keep the rear window down. Once I removed the stock pipes and had only a Cherry Bomb glasspack and no pipe the smell went away. I later added a pipe out at the front of the rear tire and had no problem there either.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you