Author Topic: 302 Swap...what tranny?  (Read 6693 times)

50Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
302 Swap...what tranny?
« on: Nov 07, 2004, 04:08:35 PM »
Hello all. I have installed a 302 Ford into a 1990 4Runner. I backed up the engine with a T18 transmission which is absolutely terrible. Now I have two questions;

Is the R150 transmission strong enough to hook up to the 302 (which is stock but putting out 270 hp and 300/320 tq) in off road situations?  I know it will handle regular road driving but I'm more interested in wether it will stay together off road.

The other thing is, can I mount that transmission (R150F) with out a body lift? If not, is there any other trans that I can mount with out a bnody lift? Oh, and with out doing trans tunnel surgery...

Thanks.
manuel

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 302 Swap...what tranny?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2004, 04:18:43 PM »
hey i got a NP435 from a ford
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2004, 04:22:26 PM »
Yeah, but I want something with ovewrdrive...

How strong is the R150F?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »
R150 is  one of the toughest toy trannys,  it should hold up without a problem  :eyebrow:

oh yea  :welcome: to the board
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2004, 05:01:39 PM »
Thanks! Always nice to get a welcome...

So, the tranny is tough (toyota stuff usually is :biggthumpup:) but is there any specs as to exactly how much torque it can take? Also, would it be possible to put this in with out the body lift? I get the feeling that the bellhousing to mate the 302 to it will be in the way.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2004, 05:20:39 PM »
Welcom to the board. Like Glen said, the 150 is a good tranny as long as your not racing honda's on the street. Use it wisely, and it should be just fine. As far as fitting i'm not sure, but if the T18 fits I don't see why the 150 wouldn't. The only place I could see a possible prob is right at the bell housing, and if there is a clearance prob you may be able to massage it with a fine adjusting tool. (hammer) I was worried about the bell housing clearance on my 4.3 conversion (same bell as the 350 conversion) but I had plenty of space.
Good luck.

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2004, 05:40:37 PM »
Thanks. Well, I'm not going to drop the clutch at a stop light if thats what you mean. But, what about being off road on some steep incline with the trasnfer case in low and the lockers on? Thats what I'm worried about.

dirtbag

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 841
  • Male Posts: 1,303
  • Member since Jun '04
  • flexes like dried doo-doo
    • View Profile
    • I am hot, huh?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2004, 05:50:41 PM »
ask Brandon, the moderator, he has a 5.0 in his truck, he should know off-hand.

BTW, WELCOME to the board.

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2004, 06:34:05 PM »
Holy crap, don't scare him off already.
Ya that's what I was talkin about. Steep hill and locks, no prob.

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:06:13 PM »
haha! Thats ok, I'm not scared...yet!

So, the 150 is pretty stout eh. Do you know this first hand or how?

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:35:25 PM »
There have been guys successfully running V8's in front of toy tranny's for years. A lot of them were the earlier much weaker tranny's, and they held up pretty well. Also they were all designed for use with a 4 cyl. The 150 has been designed for a V6, and with some common sense would be just fine behind an 8. I'm running the 150 behind a 200hp 4.3 vortec, and no probs. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet, but i'm not worried about it in the least. THEY ARE TOUGH, but anything is breakable.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2004, 07:40:24 PM »
 :hammer: :smack: Daaa, I should also say that if you want an even stronger tranny go with the 151 turbo tranny, it's even stronger than the 150. It is harder to find, and more expensive if the person knows what they have, but it is strong. It also has a lower first gear than the other trannys.

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2004, 08:57:53 AM »
You know I had thought about those but thinking that they were matted to a four cylinder I didn't think they would be stronger than the 150. Funny thing is I have the transfer case from the 151, and the whole trans/transfer from the 150.

So, what years was it again that the 151 came in the trucks and the 4Runners?

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2004, 09:33:33 AM »
Ask and you shall recieve;  www.marlincrawler.com/trans.html Here are all the years and models for each tranny.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2004, 09:36:10 AM »
87-88,   being in 2wd on blacktop is harder on the tranny than being offroad,  you'll be worried about ring gears and birfs when crawlin, not the tranny,  

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 08, 2004, 04:40:01 PM »
R151F only came in '86-87 turbo pickups in the US(4runners with the turbo were all autos), i think it's still used in other countries though

i'd go with an NP435 if i was doing a 302 swap...who needs overdrive, just run 4.10s :yupyup:

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 08, 2004, 06:08:08 PM »
aalllrighty then! :biggthumpup: now...where do I get a 151??

thanks for all the help guys.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2004, 06:09:46 PM »
yea man, :hammer:  NP435  $150

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2004, 06:41:38 PM »
uuhhh...no. no automatics, and NO non overdrive transmissions.

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2004, 07:32:38 PM »
Call Marlin, if he doesn't have one maybe he'll be able to tell you where to look. Also do a search on the classifieds here, and the pirate board, and www.car-part.com

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 09, 2004, 08:17:26 PM »
Well...thanks for all the everyone. Unfortunately this isn't going to work right now. I called advance adapters and they don't have a kit to hook up a 302 to a 150/151. They have one that is being developed but who knows how long that will take.

Any othe suggestions?

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 10, 2004, 08:05:04 PM »
if you want to drop the cash(or find one for a good deal) you could get an NV4500 tranny.  heavy duty 5 speed(granny low 1st so it's basically a 4 speed OD tranny) that'll bolt up behind a ford with advance adapters' bellhousing...i believe toy cases can be adapted to it.

they come in fullsize dodges and chevys

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 10, 2004, 09:10:56 PM »
Well if you can't use the 150 then get yourself a marlin HD W56. It will hold up as long as you use common sense. Check www.northwestoffroad.com Most people agree that they are not real good to do business with, but there is some good info on their site. They even have a pic or two of 302 swaps I think.

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:51:26 AM »
Well...thanks for all the everyone. Unfortunately this isn't going to work right now. I called advance adapters and they don't have a kit to hook up a 302 to a 150/151. They have one that is being developed but who knows how long that will take.

Any othe suggestions?

This is REALLY getting strange for me.  Recipe to hook up an R150 to a Ford V8 you need an input shaft from a 91 and earlier Jeep AX15.  Rebuild the R150 with the AX15 input shaft and salt lightly.  Then, mix well with an adapter plate from Advance Adapters to bolt the AX15 to a Ford bellhousing bolt pattern.  Bring to a boil and go!

Greg

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2004, 07:17:51 AM »

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2004, 08:09:36 AM »
One other thing.  I should point out that the 96 and later R150F from the Tundra and Tacoma already has a longer input shaft. Close in length to the Jeep AX15. So... if you use the later R150F, all you'd need is the Advance Adapters Jeep to Ford adapter.

Greg

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 11, 2004, 10:00:21 AM »
Hi greg. Why do you say that this is gettingt really strange for you? Have you done this conversion before??

So let me get this straight. Jeep used the 150F transmission from toyota?? Or they happen to have the same bolt pattern? I assume I woulod use the toyota accesories such as clutch master/slave cylinders etc?

Thanks!
manuel

Greg55_99

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 11, 2004, 11:00:27 AM »
Hi Manuel,
    No, I haven't done this swap before, but I've dug a little bit...

http://www.jeeps-offroad.com/showthread.php?t=4740

Greg

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 11, 2004, 12:22:05 PM »
A little bit?!? :biggthumpup: Man I would hate/love to see when you do a lot of reaserch!

Cool...so I'll have a look at those. I actually had the NV4500 in another project that I had hooked up to a 350 sbc, and that transmission was great! I could shift it without the clutch really smoothly, up, down, and without power shifting too!

Thanks greg!! Now, how about a 911 turbo engine to a four wheel drive trans? :laugh:

manuel

50Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 11, 2004, 12:27:19 PM »
By the by...can any of these options be used without a body lift? That is the only reason I'm reluctant to go with the NV4500.

Thanks.
manuel