Author Topic: Make Sure That Bear is Dead....  (Read 7107 times)

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Male Posts: 191
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
Re: Make Sure That Bear is Dead....
« Reply #30 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:00:47 PM »
Virtually unheard of (with black bears) unless you got between a sow and her cub(s), and then it's usually a false charge.
But it would take a hell of a steady nerve to wait & see if she was bluffing.   :sheerterror:
Very true but I don't think I could sit and wait to see if its a bluff. Now I ain't saying i would hit the bear if charged. closest thing we have to bears in my area is wild pigs and I have some pics of 450lb ish pigs with 5 inch tusks they don't bluff if they feel threaten

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:06:17 PM »
^^ I agree with all of that :yesnod: and I bet he would do things differently if there's a next time ...  but I'm quite sure it's illegal to carry a firearm during bow season.  

its not illegal to carry a side arm during bow season actually its not illegal to carry a side arm in the montains....
at least thats what i learned in hunter safety years ago. also i hunt all the time and see rangers with my side arm they just ask what kind of gun it is and i tell them....most of the time they want to see it cause they have never seen that model of a side arm like mine :twocents:
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:08:56 PM »
huh in my state they would throw you under the jail if they caught you with a side arm. do you have guide license?

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »
but he was deer hunting was he not so that would make it illegal to shot the bear regardless if he saw him or not. Its like I saw a bear so I shot it. how stupid is that. controlling the population, i say there is less animals than they were a long time ago but thats just me.
if im not mistaking you can get a bear tag during bow season (deer) :twocents:
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:14:30 PM »

not in cali

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:15:58 PM »
huh in my state they would throw you under the jail if they caught you with a side arm. do you have guide license?
not a hunting guide licence but a concelled weapons permit.....is that good enough :gap:
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
not a hunting guide licence but a concelled weapons permit.....is that good enough :gap:

you dont even need that, and you can carry a side arm while bow hunting. as long as the animal was not killed with it (i.e. a bent, bloody arrow, etc etc)

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:27:34 PM »
I know no one gets me on this board  :ha_ha: I just dont like bears getting killed that is all

hes right no one understands his ignorant thinking........ people like him really irritate me..........

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
GOOD enough for me   :yupyup: but as long as its on your side and you can see in the open you dont need a concelled weapons permit

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »
its not illegal to carry a side arm during bow season actually its not illegal to carry a side arm in the montains....
I'm not questioning the legality of carrying a sidearm in the woods, but DFG statutes say otherwise when hunting during bow season.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.asp#353
(h) Except as provided in subsection 353(g), archers may not possess a firearm while hunting in the field during any archery season, or while hunting during a general season under the provisions of an archery only tag.

(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as described in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this subsection, archery equipment does not include crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j).
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Aug 21, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »
Yes. In most of the California B zones (where this thread got started), archery deer and archery bear both opened August 15th.
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2009, 01:00:58 PM by Stocker »

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #41 on: Aug 21, 2009, 03:21:33 PM »
hes right no one understands his ignorant thinking........ people like him really irritate me..........

ok now were off base, ignorant thinking? say what lol, i dont see how am ignorant buy stating what I believe in you werido
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:05:02 PM »
ok now were off base, ignorant thinking? say what lol, i dont see how am ignorant buy stating what I believe in you werido

if you don't support government controlled hunting, which controls populations of animals, you in turn favor famine, disease and inbreeding as means of population control. when populations over step the capacity of the habitat, famine comes 1st then disease, and when all these bears start looking for food, guess who's on next the freaking menu. so when you say that the cute cuddly bears should not be hunted, i say your ignorant.

we have already seen this scenario with mountain lions. the tree hugging liberals banned lion hunting (in California). now they are all over. there are several lion attacks every year, but still they (tree hugging liberals) wont allow the reopening of lion hunting in California. if we as superior beings do not control and regulate the animals, then they will control and regulate us, and if you believe that an animals life is more valuable than a humans life, you need some serious help.

so yes i say your views of hunting are ignorant.........
« Last Edit: Aug 21, 2009, 09:47:08 PM by Broke_Okie_Ty »

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »
we have already seen this scenario with mountain lions. the tree hugging liberals banned lion hunting (in California). now they are all over. there are several lion attacks every, but still they (tree hugging liberals) wont allow the reopening of lion hunting in California.
Agreed. Where black bears are shy and tend to avoid human contact, lions have long since lost much of their fear of humans, as a result of many generations of cats that have grown up without being hunted.

Bears will often break down fruit trees or scatter garbage while searching for food, but that's about it. Lions have no problem taking pets...  or 'town deer'... or in some cases (rare, but it does happen), attacking humans. Since the humans haven't been hunting lions for decades, they sure as hell don't attack out of revenge. Of course, most of us realize that animals don't actually think like that....

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Aug 21, 2009, 06:38:34 PM »
Oh man, a lot has been covered while I was at work today!

Yes, as has been stated, and as I've learned directly from dfg every year while buying my deer tags, you still can NOT carry any firearms while bowhunting during bow only seasons.  Bummer, cause the only thing I'm really worried about while out is the only thing out there that's not afraid of me... cats!

Terminatortoy, what I was questioning was your quoting my entire post with the reply "but yet you have a pic of bear thats killed."  The reason I question it, which I thought I made fairly clear, was that since you quoted my entire post, yours made no sense whatsoever.  My post was all over the place and covered more than one thing, so by quoting the entire post, your reply makes absolutely no sense.  Yes I have a pic of a dead bear as my avatar.  Since you've continued to post in here, please clear that up  :thumbs:

but he was deer hunting was he not so that would make it illegal to shot the bear regardless if he saw him or not. Its like I saw a bear so I shot it. how stupid is that. controlling the population, i say there is less animals than they were a long time ago but thats just me.

This is why people are saying you're ignorant.  You say things are illegal despite having absolutely no knowledge of the laws.  You also comment on controlling the population and say you think there are less animals than there were a long time ago, yet you're basing this on nothing more than your thoughts.  I'm not making up the record numbers of bears I spoke of, I do this strange thing called reading  :yikes:  I read anything I can get my hands on that has even the slightest thing to do with hunting or fishing, and have done this for many years, and if you see me quoting something you can bet it either came from a california department of fish and game publication or a well reputed publication.

Know your laws, know your facts, or people will call you ignorant or worse  ;)
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Aug 21, 2009, 07:46:43 PM »
Bears will often break down fruit trees or scatter garbage while searching for food, but that's about it.

You know, I'm reminded of the first year I noticed about 40-60 bear trails going directly over reservoir ridge.  You may or may not remember, but I distinctly remember coming back and explaining how weird I thought it was that I kept seeing these trails crossing the ridge that looked like somebody took a weed wacker with a blade and ran it in a straight line, crossing over the road that goes along the ridge.  I forget at what point we figured out they were bear trails, but being such creatures of habit they'd take the same trails from one side of the ridge to the dump on the other side that they'd beat a path that was a uniform width as long as they were heading straight.  Sadly, due largely in part to your resident tree hugger (scott), the only way anybody will see them anymore is either on a bicycle or on foot.  Gotta love it when somebody who for many years made their living selling motorcycles and off road vehicles turns into a tree hugging fool once the business closes!

I don't think I've ever run into a sportsman who hasn't echoed the same sentiment:  cats need to be hunted in california!  People like to blame the ever decreasing california deer populations on hunters, but studies show that it's the over abundence of big cats that have the biggest impact on deer herds.  More than a couple deer seasons I saw a big cat before seeing a buck while scouting or hunting.  That's a baaaad sign!  The cats just follow a little behind deer herds, or smaller groups of deer, and pick one off when they're hungry.  Not to say all cats just follow herds, but it definately happens, just like bears will follow runs of salmon up a river or creek.

I have issues with shooting or killing anything I don't intend to eat, but I have to wonder how kitty would taste  :dunno:

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Aug 21, 2009, 08:32:22 PM »
  cats need to be hunted in california!  People like to blame the ever decreasing california deer populations on hunters, but studies show that it's the over abundence of big cats that have the biggest impact on deer herds.  The cats just follow a little behind deer herds, or smaller groups of deer, and pick one off when they're hungry. 
Yeah, and of course they'll take the easiest pickins. Cats take a lot of fawns, and the effect on the deer population can be devastating.

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Aug 21, 2009, 09:51:25 PM »
cats need to be hunted in california! I have issues with shooting or killing anything I don't intend to eat, but I have to wonder how kitty would taste  :dunno:

yes! im sure you can eat a big cat the same way you eat the little ones  :gap:

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Aug 21, 2009, 10:05:04 PM »
I can't remember exactly who, but the guy I bought one of my bikes from said his brother or friend hunted on a big ranch near the coast and said the owner asked that they shot any cats they saw.  He said there was probably between several and a dozen cats shot on the ranch each year and it didn't even make a dent!  They were thick and big. 
RIP KYOTA

Broke_Okie_Ty

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '06
  • slightly deranged
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Aug 21, 2009, 11:05:46 PM »
  They were thick and big. 

iv seen tracks bigger than my hand (which are not small). its enough to make you stop completely look around very carefully.

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #50 on: Aug 23, 2009, 09:56:38 PM »
ok I will admit that I dont know the laws on hunting. becasue I dont hunt and dont believe in hunting.
But I just dont understand why kill a bear of all things besides the important population numbers and what not. But I guess do what you have to do to live.
I dont live in fear and maybe thats why I feel this way, I wouldnt say am ignorant I just think out of the norm which isnt wrong.

Btw am going to shut my  :lipsrsealed: now in this post and let go.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2009, 10:14:43 PM by ToxicYoat »
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Aug 24, 2009, 11:55:44 AM »
ok I will admit that I dont know the laws on hunting. becasue I dont hunt and dont believe in hunting.
But I just dont understand why kill a bear of all things besides the important population numbers and what not. But I guess do what you have to do to live.
I dont live in fear and maybe thats why I feel this way, I wouldnt say am ignorant I just think out of the norm which isnt wrong.

Btw am going to shut my  :lipsrsealed: now in this post and let go.
This is by far the best post you've had in the thread imho -- you stated your views & admitted you don't know the laws. Obviously there are opposing views on hunting but that's no reason for either side to blast the other based on emotion and lacking facts.

Dunno what living in fear has to do with it though, maybe you can explain that even though you've quit this thread 2 or 3 times already. I don't live in fear either, so....:dunno:  I used to hunt, haven't in years, am physically unable to now, and I have nothing against hunting. Given the opportunity, I doubt I could bring myself to kill another bear. I seem to think of them differently now.  A cat might be a different matter, though.... 

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Aug 24, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
Might help to also note you helped a bear guide for many years before completely retiring from hunting  ;)

ok I will admit that I dont know the laws on hunting. I wouldnt say am ignorant

You would and you did say you are ignorant.  I will admit I don't know how congress really works, which makes me ignorant.  So often when people are truly ignorant, not just on one subject but on most things, they take offense when being called ignorant.  It's ok to be ignorant, but letting your ignorance get you involved in things which you know nothing of is just dumb  :thumbs:

Since you say you just don't understand why kill a bear, what do you not understand about killing bears?  It has nothing to do with doing what you have to do to live, this isn't the wild west!  It's been stated here several times; the meat is very tasty!  Some people just shoot them for their hide, which to me is just plain wrong - you should eat what you kill - while others shoot them just for their gall bladder, which is illegal and is just as bad as shooting one and leaving it where it falls.

I don't live in fear either, and I too can't for the life of me figure out what that has to do with killing bears  :dunno:  Many bears (and other animals) are killed each year because they've surpassed being a nuisance and have become too comfortable around humans to retain a safe situation, but that's not hunting, that's depredation. 

I just think out of the norm which isnt wrong.

Sadly, you don't think out of the norm at all.  The majority of the population is just as ignorant as you, which is one huuuuuge reason why hunting is so often looked upon so negatively.  I fully believe that hunter and gun safety courses should be required in school no matter where the school is located.  Both these would drastically help to alleviate the utter ignorance of so many people.  Most anti hunting and anti gun folk have that mentality due to complete ignorance.  Hopefully being educated properly on these subjects would help people to have at least a basic understanding, and ultimately would hopefully help them drop their unsubstantiated fears of that which they don't know.

I don't want you to quit posting in this thread just yet.  I'd still like to see you better explain your situation and views. 
RIP KYOTA

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Aug 25, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
well i just read this whole thread and have been siding with toxic most the time.
i also feel its wrong to hunt for sport, i dont hate on the people that do it. but i just cant kill an animal like that for sport. i do understand what you guys are saying about population control, but when you go to shoot the animal whats going through your head?

1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Aug 25, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
well i just read this whole thread and have been siding with toxic most the time.
i also feel its wrong to hunt for sport, i dont hate on the people that do it. but i just cant kill an animal like that for sport. i do understand what you guys are saying about population control, but when you go to shoot the animal whats going through your head?

you talking about sport hunting or when some one shoots animal for food. I mostly hunt for the food. But there are some animals  that I would like to hunt that I am not for sure if the meat is eatable. But the thought that goes though my mind before I shot the animal is I hope it is one shot one kill and the animal dies as fast as possible. If I get the chance to go hunt mountain lion or bighorn sheep (don't know if you can eat them) it will be the same idea one shot one kill.

Stocker [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Aug 25, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »
when you go to shoot the animal whats going through your head?
1) I hope it's a quick, clean kill.   :crossed:

2) The real work is about to begin.  :crazy:

3) Gonna be some good dinners pretty soon.   :yumyum:

Most non-hunters have no clue how difficult it can be to get a critter out of the woods when you're a very long distance from any road, and probably near the bottom of a steep canyon in terribly rugged terrain.

I just remembered some of why I don't hunt any more....    :ack:

ROKTOY829

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Aug 25, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
They must think that all the hunters just go out there blasting away at everything we see. Shooting one is the easy part. Stockers right the after you kill it then the work begins.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Aug 25, 2009, 07:48:12 PM »
i also feel its wrong to hunt for sport

Dude, that's not at all what he's been saying!  He's against hunting, period.  As ROKTOY said, sport hunting and meat hunting are 2 different things.  Trust me, the vast majority of hunters hate sport hunters. 
RIP KYOTA

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Aug 25, 2009, 08:33:14 PM »
i know thats not what he's been saying, i was just saying i was siding with him. but the more and more i read the more i understand. i still could never hunt a mammal but like i said i don't hate on people that do.
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #59 on: Aug 25, 2009, 09:58:48 PM »
do you fish?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg: