Author Topic: v6 question  (Read 1874 times)

CCM Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 243
  • Member since Mar '06
  • brrop!
    • View Profile
v6 question
« on: Aug 10, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »
im building a 95 runner but it came with no motor. i found a smokin deal on a rebuilt 3.0 the only problem is that it is out of an 88 runner. my question is will the wireing harness from the 95 hook up to the 88 or am i sol?
get a bigger hammer!!!!!!!!

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: v6 question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2009, 09:53:56 PM »
iv found the difference in teh harness's to be only where the knock sensor plugs in. also your 95 probably has 2 o2 sensors whereas the the 88 will only have one.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

CCM Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • brrop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2009, 10:01:18 PM »
what is a knock sensor

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »
The knock sensor is the wire that comes out from underneath the lower intake manifold.  The sensor itself is screwed into the block in the valley between the heads.  If/when you swap engines, replace the knock sensor.  Its like $30, and it really sucks to put the engine all the way in, and find out you're geting a knock code, when nothing is really wrong.  When you get the knock sensor, just get the one for the '95, it'll thread into the block no problem. 

IIRC, I had a couple of other wiring connections that weren't quite right, but I just cut and spliced connectors from either the donor harness, or off the components I was replacing from my truck ('91)  I also put in an '88 v6. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

CCM Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
  • brrop!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2009, 11:28:34 AM »
so i tried pluging in the harness and the injector plugs didnt even fit. any suggestions

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:29:55 PM »
so i tried pluging in the harness and the injector plugs didnt even fit. any suggestions

You can pull components (injectors etc.) from your junk '95 engine, so the connectors are the same.  Unless the components are bad, for the most part they'll work just fine.

I put an '88 engine in my '91, and used components from both as needed.  Worked out just fine.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 12, 2009, 12:04:14 AM »
If I read correctly his Runner didn't come w/a motor, so he doesn't have the '95 equipment.

IIRC, the '92+ injectors have a different impedance than the pre-'92, so even if you do happen to figure out a way to connect the injectors they wont likely work.  The rest of the sensors should be the same.

Using an '88 wiring harness and ecu, would make things a lot easier for you.  I am guessing that since the engine is older than the Runner you don't have to smog check your vehicles.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 12, 2009, 10:53:15 AM »
If I read correctly his Runner didn't come w/a motor, so he doesn't have the '95 equipment.

IIRC, the '92+ injectors have a different impedance than the pre-'92, so even if you do happen to figure out a way to connect the injectors they wont likely work.  The rest of the sensors should be the same.

Using an '88 wiring harness and ecu, would make things a lot easier for you.  I am guessing that since the engine is older than the Runner you don't have to smog check your vehicles.

:doh: missed that part.  Thought he was just swapping out a bad motor.

-Ronald Reagan

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 12, 2009, 01:02:11 PM »
I don't know where you are located, but isn't there some rule about not being able to swap in an older motor eventhough its the same 3.0L v6?

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1302
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2009, 02:37:26 PM »
I don't know where you are located, but isn't there some rule about not being able to swap in an older motor eventhough its the same 3.0L v6?

I dont think people who work at emission stations would be smart enough to open the hood and know what they are looking at and even tell..

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2009, 03:42:22 PM »
^^True, generally speaking.  However the '95 would be OBDII, while the '88 is non-OBDII.  I think even the slowest of smog techs would catch that.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12, 2009, 03:43:48 PM »
^^True, generally speaking.  However the '95 would be OBDII, while the '88 is non-OBDII.  I think even the slowest of smog techs would catch that.

Are you sure it was OBDII in 95? Or did it change with the body style in 96?

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 12, 2009, 03:59:06 PM »
i think obd2 started in 96
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:07:54 AM »
I thought so too.  Thought it was '96 and newer. 

-Ronald Reagan

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
Are you sure it was OBDII in 95? Or did it change with the body style in 96?
That is what I had always believed as well, but my smog tech was adamant about the date being '95 and newer during a discussion about the new fuel pressurization test that is being done here in CA.  He stated that all new cars had to be OBDII in '96 bit that the changeover started in '95.  I know the '96 Runner is OBDII, but not sure about the '95 Runner.  The trucks changed mid-'95, does anyone know if the '95 Taco has OBDII or is it non-OBDII?  My smog tech isn't a Toyota guy, so maybe he is only going off the year/name and not the generation.

chim

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • www.infowars.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 13, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »
I read on another forum that only a few hundred made it out with OBD2 at the end of 95, and those were more than likely the fully loaded luxury models with the first 3rz.... But who knows.. im nowhere close to being a 4runner historian!

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 13, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
your wasting time putting a 3.0 in it just do the 3.4 swap and never look back!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
« Reply #17 on: Aug 13, 2009, 04:14:49 PM »
if its obdII then you should have an obdII port to plug into under your dash, which i'm guessing you don't.  the motors are the same

The knock sensor is the wire that comes out from underneath the lower intake manifold.  The sensor itself is screwed into the block in the valley between the heads.  If/when you swap engines, replace the knock sensor.  Its like $30, and it really sucks to put the engine all the way in, and find out you're geting a knock code, when nothing is really wrong.  When you get the knock sensor, just get the one for the '95, it'll thread into the block no problem.  

IIRC, I had a couple of other wiring connections that weren't quite right, but I just cut and spliced connectors from either the donor harness, or off the components I was replacing from my truck ('91)  I also put in an '88 v6.  

this is what i would do.  or just get a 89-95 intake with the injectors and everything else on it to swap and call it good.  just my  :twocents:

hurry up and get it in the truck so you can go to the round up.   :driving:
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW