Author Topic: headers help!!!!  (Read 4343 times)

Jakesteads

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 842
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
headers help!!!!
« on: Jul 19, 2009, 03:51:53 PM »
well my stock manifold is shot.... everything about it is broke i have a few questions....

what is the mini tubes that bolt into the stock manifold.... heater tubes??????

is there a set of headers that i can get that have the stock style flange all i have seen is a delete i guess? just need some help on this and need it asap :beer:
I like Toyota

Tim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 92
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: headers help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 19, 2009, 03:54:52 PM »
Exhaust Gas Resirculation tubes.  the bronze looking ones, right?  if so yup for the EGR,  why are they clogged?

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2009, 03:57:05 PM »
do i have to have those bronze tubes?????? i have no emissions but i do need heat!!!!

if i need to keep them can anyone point me to some stock setup heaters i guess it just needs a flange type piece

I like Toyota

Tim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2009, 04:49:08 PM »
no lol if you need heat you are looking in the wrong place.  those bronze tubes are for emissions stuff, they route the exhaust gas back into you intake manifold when your engine runs rich.  if you have no heat do you mean in cab heat?

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 589
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 19, 2009, 04:50:13 PM »
Check out LC Engineering.  They have a really popular header, I run one, and it allows you to bolt up that tube.  BTW, the tube has nothing to do with your heater, it just takes exhaust and feeds the smog pump.  But if you arent worried about smog stuff then you can just run block off plates on top off the header.  Hope this helps.

Tim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 19, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »
if you need heat in the cab well then thats different.  your heater core should be providing you with heat unless it is clogged or your running with out a thermostat.  i take it your blower motor works because you havn't mentioned it.....  

Tim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 19, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »
Check out LC Engineering.  They have a really popular header, I run one, and it allows you to bolt up that tube.  BTW, the tube has nothing to do with your heater, it just takes exhaust and feeds the smog pump.  But if you arent worried about smog stuff then you can just run block off plates on top off the header.  Hope this helps.

it helps to know the year of your truck or at least tell us if its carbed or EFI.  because the quote above is taking about one thing and i am talking about another.  but Skyscraper is right your heating issue has nothing to do with your headers.  the only thing there i can think of is your heat riser.  are you having issues of overheating your engine?

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 19, 2009, 05:04:04 PM »
its a 22r 85 regular cab...

i have no problem with my heat i just thought those other tubes were maybe for the in cab heat.... i think i understand now but what i have to figure out is im moving to colorado (boulder area) in January and weather or not they have emissions

thanks for the help guys 
I like Toyota

Tim

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2009, 05:28:34 PM »
ahh ok so carbed, the bronze lines off the manifold are your air lines and the water lines are off your head.  so not to get them confused reach in there and take a peak so you know for your own reference what is what. 

so the air lines your taking about are for the EGR system allowing unburnt gasses to recirculate and be burnt up again and on the california emission models i believe have the smog pump hooked up to the manifold for added fresh air to burn gasses once they reach your catalytic converter.  if you have fed/can. emissions its just tubing for your EGR and no smog pump but us cali guys have both.  your water lines for heating are hooked up to your cylinder head.

now for the emissions unless your coming to california you are fine with federal/canada emissions set up.  if you have the cali emissions set-up and are moving to colorado, shoot your ahead of the curve with added emissions. they might  :welcome: you as a tree hugger  and :psss: :haha: behind your back for being so clean or  :bowdown: worship you, who knows.  good luck

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »
hahaha its setup for California emissions i was told since it is originally a cali truck so im gonna look into it a bit more this is really helpful i have never lived in a location that needed emissions so im kinda new to the entire thing
I like Toyota

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2009, 07:17:15 PM »
i am pretty sure CO has emissions testing, SO  you either need another stock exhaust manifold or a Emissions approved header like the one LCEngineering sells since it has the tubes for the egr stuff

http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=7C28DD4F-5D27-49CD-B0A3-F65630582C22

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
all the CO people on Marlin can be found here http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=75.0
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:16:51 PM »
Went with lc engineering seems to be a really solid kit plus u keep the emissions stuff which helps alot thanks for all the help ill post pics when i recieve them
I like Toyota

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 20, 2009, 02:58:54 PM »
Good choice.  I love mine.  Well worth the money, you wont be dissapointed!

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 20, 2009, 04:57:03 PM »
you see any power gains? mine does pretty good now but i feel like a working set of headers will prob help out
I like Toyota

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 20, 2009, 05:37:34 PM »
Not any noticeable gains. I think they claim like 7 horses from it, but I couldn't tell.

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 20, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
meh it will still be nice not hearing that TICKING from the leak and the engine bay being so freaking hot
I like Toyota

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 20, 2009, 05:57:21 PM »
I noticed a considerable drop in temp under the hood after I put it on...Makes it nice for working on it when its hot or running.

Jakesteads [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Mar '07
  • It was Nice....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 20, 2009, 06:40:03 PM »
ya mine is stupid hot i just got a new cat back put on so all this should work pretty well once i get it installed i got a new stud kit with it and have 2 studs still left to get out im gonna pb blast them up really good before i take a crack at them
I like Toyota

skyscraper

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 20, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »
Nice.  Anti seize the new ones

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 05, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »
For lurkers, Thorley also makes smog legal headers, though they are pricey.  Nice boost at 3-4K rpm, which is right where you are if you downshift to pass at highway speeds.  Added 10-15HP to my truck - basically about as much as you'd lose running AC for a comparison - heh - but *just* enough to get up hills in 5th at 60-65mph.  Don't expect a header to do amazing things in such a small engine.  :)

Way lower heat.  Tons easier to get at all the stuff on that side of the engine as well.  Exhaust sounds properly aggressive - like half of a V8 instead of a lawnmower.  But... yeah, expensive...  Def find new old stock or used if you can.  Thorley makes great sutff but it's not cheap.

toritochis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »
OBX HEADERS....   Has anybody used OBX headers.???  These are about $100 dollars cheaper than LCE headers, they're also stainless steel.  They have them on ebay, don't know how they perform.??? .. then again  a header is a header, right.?

thanks.

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2010, 12:53:02 PM »
I would also recommend the doug thorley headers. There is a sight called autoanything.com. They sell doug thorley headers cheaper than I have ever seen them anywhere. You should check out there sight. If you want to get a good deal on a good quality header I think that is the best place. Good luck.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 13, 2010, 12:44:32 AM »
then again  a header is a header, right.?

:spit:  :haha:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toritochis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
I'll  check out the prices on the doug thorley headers at that website.. thanks for the info.!!!

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:15:01 AM »
I hope you are able to find what you want for a header. They really help these little yota's a lot...
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs

toritochis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:44:32 PM »
Well, I  checked the prices on the website, but they're kind of pricey.!  Check this out: http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1998/toyota/tacoma/exhaust/header_pipe.html  The price is too good to be true, but these are for v6's....  still looking!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:31:18 PM »
Check this and other 4x4 boards, ebay and craigslist for an downey, nwor, thorley or lc engineering header.  I had a cheap header that performed well (the engine was super strong too) but had a thin flange that warped and thin/cheap tubes that cracked.  Stick with quality and you'll be much happier, it's not worth saving a few bucks initially if you're having to buy another too soon  :thumbs: 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:08:49 AM »
A buddy of mine bought a set of headers from this company for real  cheap but they were for a v6. There were very inexpensive compared to what I have seen.

toritochis

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:38:58 AM »
OBX are cheaper but don't know about their quality....?