Author Topic: Question for those familiar with work place management ethics  (Read 5858 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
If you are doing more than what is required of you, don't. Do your job but do nothing above and beyond. That way they will wonder what is happening and why things are not getting done like they used to. If you are doing some of the work that those who wrote you up then they will be tossing themselves overboard. When they try to write you up for it you can toss it back in their court and make them realize that it was their job/responsibility and you are not at fault. If you have the time and can start just doing some of their work to the point they disregard even making sure you are doing it then you will have them by the balls. You all of a sudden just stop doing it and they never know you have. Then when the :pokinit: hits the fan and they they try to blame it on you, you can just reply "hey that wasn't my job it was his, yeah I had been helping him out but I haven't had the time lately. He should have been doing himself, I started doing it because he wasn't and it needed to get done."

Yes I have done this to someone.  I worked like a charm, took about six months to set him up and 1 month of not doing it to burn him with the boss.  :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kneedownnate [OP]

• Turtle Points: 1088
  • Male Posts: 9,756
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
If you are doing more than what is required of you, don't. Do your job but do nothing above and beyond.

I've tried but I can't.  Certain things just won't get done, or won't get done properly if I don't do them.  People know but nobody cares.  I'm labeled a troublemaker and told I'm wasting work time for pointing out what others either aren't doing or aren't doing right, but it's wasting far more of my work day to constantly be fixing other's mistakes.  If I don't do the battery room it won't get done right and I'll be the one who goes back and spends too much time setting it right.

I went the last few years without taking more than a handfull of breaks during the entire season, and it was really hard to force myself to start taking breaks this year and I still slip up sometimes.

I'm going to have a little talk with the AGM tomorrow if I can corner him alone.  The other manager who wrote me up is making it more and more obvious that he has issue with me and is trying to force me into situations where I'll slip up or mouth off so he can write me up.  The gas dock attendants have to top off the rental boat oils with quart containers, save the containers and have my boss drain them.  Each time they put the bags of containers on the deck of our chase boats they make an oily mess all over the deck cause the oil eats through the bags.  I cleaned up the mess again today and told the manager we need to come up with something better since it makes a big mess and is very dangerous, and he replied in a snotty tone "let me know when you figure that out".  I just stared at him blankly till he got the point and said "maybe they could leave them in the trash cans", to which I replied "yea, that'd be a lot better!".  flopp that snide thingy-smooch! 

We have lists of the boats going out each day, and for almost 2 weeks they'd change the numbers each day without telling us.  No biggie, we were ahead and could accommodate, plus our boss said it just buys us leverage when we need to change a boat for a mechanical issue.  Tonight somebody drove a boat about an hour before quitting time and it got a bunch of water in the engine, like 5 quarts on top of the 5 quarts of oil.  Manager said I needed to fix it cause we didn't have any others done yet, and I told him I'd checked and didn't see any finished by everybody but did find some finished by all but one crew.  He kept waffling between me fixing it and us using a different boat, and I just went with whatever he was saying but did mention that it may take far less time for one of the available crews to finish their part on another boat.  He was insistent that I fix it so I just continued on my way to get it going.

I was there for 15-20 minutes trying to suck out the froth when he called and said he was sending another to be cleaned and used in it's place and asked me to check it out real quick.  I think he sat and stewed on it for a while and realized he was being a petty ass and was just trying to force me to do a job that'd take 4 times as long as it would have to have somebody else clean another boat and be done for the night.  His whole demeanor changed after that and he was much cooler, but I'm still going to talk to the AGM tomorrow and try to get all this sorted out.  If he can't put his petty disdain for me aside then he shouldn't be allowed to oversee my work in any way!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
This guy sounds like a moron. I'm a lot like you with my work ethic. I know what it's like cleaning up and and taking care of others mistakes and not getting any credit for it. I'm of the sorts: Do it right or don't do it at all. I'm not trying to side with the guy but, maybe he's got personal issues at home. Again, I'm not trying to side with this guy but try and make conversation about home. He might need your "mature" advise on marriage or something. I'd like to figure this guy out so that he stays off your butt and so that you like going to work again.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

85flopped

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
I dont know what state your in, I am in AZ and here it is a "right to work state" a bunch of bs if you ask me. I was with the job I lost for almost 8 years and they wouldnt even tell me why they were firing me. I know I should have gotten a lawyer but the company I worked for was owned by Penske and I dont think someone that just lost their job should be trying to afford a lawyer against someone with more money than god. So I just kept my mouth shut now I just have to decide do I want to get another mechanic job try and find something else that might not kill my body and let me enjoy wrenching on my crawler and have a toolbox at home full of really good tools that makes things really easy, or go get another job that I am going to be miserable at, but is really easy and I can make money with my eyes closed.

By the way open more info on wind powered generators would be nice.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
This guy sounds like a moron. I'm a lot like you with my work ethic. I know what it's like cleaning up and and taking care of others mistakes and not getting any credit for it. I'm of the sorts: Do it right or don't do it at all. I'm not trying to side with the guy but, maybe he's got personal issues at home. Again, I'm not trying to side with this guy but try and make conversation about home. He might need your "mature" advise on marriage or something. I'd like to figure this guy out so that he stays off your butt and so that you like going to work again.

I unfortunately know about his home life;  his wife is just as trashy as him, they're both lushes, they're 2 pees in a pod.  He's a bit too free about telling me about his home life, and because he's a manager who has it in for me I pretend to listen. 

I just need to find another job where I'm not bent over all the time. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
That's too bad. I hate hearing that about married couples.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
Sorry 'bout your job bud. Saw you mentioned it on your other thread.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Thanks, I keep pondering if it's worth calling a shifty lawyer and suing for wrongfull termination, but I'm just not the sueing type though  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
I hear ya, I feel the same way. It wont hurt or cost to talk to legal counsel.