Author Topic: 5 speed Transmission noises ?????  (Read 7537 times)

Crawlin4fun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 84
  • Member since Aug '08
  • Never Done building
    • View Profile
5 speed Transmission noises ?????
« on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:28:54 AM »
I have a 22r with a 5 speed in an 80 pickup and when I purchased the truck it was an unfinished project, the dual cases were already installed but the truck had not been started or run until now. whenever the truck is in any gear, even neutral, the transmission makes a horrible noise. all the gears work and when I push in the clutch the noise goes away. It sounds like it's either coming from the bell housing or tranny box. Not the transfer cases. Any thoughts ?  I drained and filled both cases and the tranny with fresh gear oil before I ran it. Here is a pic since I am not sure what tranny I have ( L52 Maybe ?)

David

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 218
  • Male Posts: 263
  • Member since Jan '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: 5 speed Transmission noises ?????
« Reply #1 on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:36:37 AM »
That sounds more like a throwout bearing issue rather than a tranny problem.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -43
  • Male Posts: 324
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »
You said the noise **Goes away** when  you push in the clutch? does that mean it makes this noise regardless of gear and speed? if so, it is bar none most likely that its the main bearing on the input shaft. bring her to a tranny guy before she drops her input shaft and youll be happy you did.
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »
That sounds more like a throwout bearing issue rather than a tranny problem.

:yesnod:  and that's either a g52 or g54 tranny.  An L50/52 would be shorter and have a cast iron case, not aluminum.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Crawlin4fun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • Never Done building
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2009, 12:03:21 PM »
You said the noise **Goes away** when  you push in the clutch? does that mean it makes this noise regardless of gear and speed? if so, it is bar none most likely that its the main bearing on the input shaft. bring her to a tranny guy before she drops her input shaft and youll be happy you did.

yep, noise is always there unless the clutch is pushed in, its even there in neutral. I guess I will pull the tranny back out and take it to the tranny shop across the street from my shop.....or are the input shaft bearings easily replaced ?

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 06, 2009, 08:30:12 PM »
Its a pretty tricky job to change out the bearing, if it were mind i would either take a wack at it and bring it ot the shop after i break it (dont make the same mistakes i make   :slap:), or just bring it to the shop.   :thumbs:

Don't totally reject the idea of a bad throwout bearing like the other guys are saying. that is much cheaper/easier to replace and would somewhat explain your symptoms. However i feel that throwout bearings tend to make noise when you press in the clutch (the bearing moves in towards the flexplate to push on the little fingers to disengage it.

Bad throwout bearings usualy make a whirring type noise **as you depress the pedal**. If your input bearing has gone bad. it will make noise when the clutch is engaged and its in neutral. What is happening is your all of the sleeves/gears/cogs (whatever you want to call them) on the main shaft are disengaged from the secondary shaft and ithe input shaft just spins (thats neutra with the clutch pedal not depressed) , it would usually (but not always) be a grinding/machine noise (you used "horrible", i have heard both, it certainly sounds worse then a bad throwoutbearing does). I suppose it could also be a bearing supporting the secondary shaft...hmm, you must tell me when you get it fixed, now i must know.

my  :twocents: is to check the throwout bearing, if it looks bad, replace it. if the problem is still there, bite the bullet and get the tranny checked out. after all, your going to have to drop the tranny anyways.
'99 SR5/TRD Tacoma w/5vzfe. SAS'd with 64" diamond axle (w/ long superset & ARB). about 5" of lift, 305/75 x16 BFG KM1's. Soon to come: 1.5" more lift (6.5"), 35 to 37" tire, undecided at this point., 63" F/F diamond rear, Marlin 4.7 tacobox.

dallen341

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2009, 10:23:49 PM »
x2 on the to bearing

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 15, 2009, 10:26:36 PM »
 :dunno:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2009, 10:07:20 AM »
Sounds more like a pilot bearing then a throwout bearing.  The pilot bearing in rear of crank is know to be an issue.  I installed a new on when I swapped to a L52 from a L50 and not long after it started making noise again.  Its a pain in the ars too because you have to get the trans back far enough to get to the crank. 

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2009, 10:30:21 AM »
What's the word? I'm betting on the input shaft bearing secondly the pilot bearing.  :qtip:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »
What's the word? I'm betting on the input shaft bearing secondly the pilot bearing.  :qtip:

Dang we were betting ?  I FOLD !!!! LOL
L50-52 trans are known to have input bearing failure.  I have an L52 in my 82 which replaced the L50 with a bad input bearing.  The L52 is doing the exact same thing as the L50 did in mine and that is exactly what he is describing.  I am getting use to it making noise but imo its still the pilot bearing on mine.  I am just to lazy to pull the tranny back to change it.   Some time next week I will and then I will have my answer which should answer his. 

OK OK I bet 5 trillion on Bill Clinton.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2009, 02:45:37 PM »
Still nothing from this guy?   :headscratch:

jss

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2009, 08:29:35 PM »
Beings we're on the noisy tranny subject...Just bought an 85 Runner with a double transfer case and when I drive it on the highway and a little pressure on the gas, not much of a noise, but when I let off of the gas or put it into neutral holy cow it sounds like its grindin the heck outa things.  Any inputs before I tear it apart??  Thanks
Hold my beer and watch this....

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »
Sort of a thread hijack here but this guy (crawlin4fun) is now nowhere to be found so sure...

Could be alot of things jss. The fact that it is only on decel tells me that its most likely a gear problem rather then a bearing problem. Yet you said in neutral it does it which means that its most likely a problem in either one of the cases (doubt it but maybe) or related to the mainshaft :headscratch:. However in neutral your sleeves are all in the disengaged position.

Not really enough info for me to give you a confident guess  :therethere:

Let me know what you find. Helps me brush up on my tranny skills  :cool:

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 14, 2009, 11:38:57 PM »
Its your input bearing thats cooked. Mine does it too.  I am waiting on Mr Marlin to build me my super L52 !! lol
Since yours is either a G52 or G54 trans they too suffer the same input bearing issue just not nearly as bad as the L series does.

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 15, 2009, 08:12:04 AM »
Its your input bearing thats cooked. Mine does it too.  I am waiting on Mr Marlin to build me my super L52 !! lol
Since yours is either a G52 or G54 trans they too suffer the same input bearing issue just not nearly as bad as the L series does.

Dont you mean L52HD? I am so diggin mine. It's soo stinking quiet and tight shifting too!

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2009, 03:02:44 AM »
If it only does it in neutral, though, it might be that your clutch fork is shot or all bent up.  The trick here is if it's a small whine/humming when it's in neutral and the clutch is out versus a metallic shhhh type sound.(bearings wearing against each other)  If the bearings are shot, the gear lever will also tend to vibrate pretty badly while in gear.

jss

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 11, 2009, 05:29:10 PM »
Well just tore the dang thing apart.  The pilot bearing, throwout bearing both look like new.  So I'm guessin it must be the input shaft bearing.  I'm pullin the tranny outa my 94 to stick in it just to see if its the tranny or the doubler.  Let yall know what I find out.  Thanx

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:40:24 AM »
I put a w56 in my 81 and have never been happier.  I have an old post somewhere that shows how I dealt with all the yoke (your shaft issues will be different though) and mounting issues; if you care.  It would move the rear support you've got for the x-case also...........It's only time and money

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:44:21 AM »
Nevermind, your setup is completely different with the dual case as I see you've got the skid plate on the old mounting location.  Sorry, shoulda paid more attention

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 12, 2009, 07:12:01 AM »
Well just tore the dang thing apart.  The pilot bearing, throwout bearing both look like new.  So I'm guessin it must be the input shaft bearing.  I'm pullin the tranny outa my 94 to stick in it just to see if its the tranny or the doubler.  Let yall know what I find out.  Thanx

jss, if its your input bearing the noise should go away when you push in the clutch with the truck running but not  moving. otherwise its pretty unlikely.
« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2009, 05:43:39 PM by Crawler677 »

jss

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 12, 2009, 05:19:24 PM »
Gonna pull the w56 outa my 94 yota and stick in the runner and see what what noises I get then.  
Went to Salt Lake today and got another 85 shorty for 700 runs like a champ.  Not I got a runner thats built, and a 94 and 85 to start  building. :-\

Crawlin4fun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • Never Done building
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2009, 03:04:18 PM »
Sorry, I am still around, just been busy with other projects. Anyway, I ordered an input shaft bearing from Marlin, It arrived friday so my monday project is to pull the tranny , replace the input shaft bearing and check the condition of the pilot bearing and TO bearing.....even though it can't be the TO bearing because the noise goes away when clutch pedal is pushed, the only time the noise is there is when the input shaft is spinning, and the input shaft bearings are sealed from the factory so they never get any lubrication in their life, just whatever lube was in them from new, so they are known problems from what I have researched.

by monday evening or tuesday morning I should have a definate cause for all of you placing wagers on this...lol

and I hope to be  :driving: the truck by this weekend, still alot to do but I dedicated next week to nothing but Toyota finishing

Crawlin4fun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • Never Done building
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2009, 02:03:03 PM »
And the winner is............

INPUT SHAFT BEARING......I will post pics when I find my Camera

the bearing cage ground through to the bearing balls and ground flat spots on them and the bearing seals were not there at all, I think I will flush the tranny out good since all those metal particles are in there somewhere, It is a pain to remove that bearing without a good bearing puller, Luckily I have a tranny shop next door that let me borrow one, and I screwed up when I ordered the bearing, I ordered one for a g54 ( thats what everyone said I had according to the pics ) but I actually have a g52 So I am waiting for Marlin to send me the right bearing along with the input shaft seal and nosecone that I broke  :smack:

Crawlin4fun [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
  • Never Done building
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2009, 05:38:17 AM »
Here s a pic of the input shaft bearing, and while it was out I better tear it down and check everything and flush out the bearing pieces.

Crawler677

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • BRRAaappp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:40:34 PM »
Oh yes, I am that good  :eyebrow:

Glad to hear I could help out, now Getrdone.  :driving:

86toyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 353
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Montana 4x4 Association
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:59:16 PM »
I kinda had a similar problem. one of the clips on the clutch fork that hold the t-o bearing strait and on the shaft bent and came off. made a nasty noise when i pressed in the clutch. while im at i tore the the tranny cases  apart to reseal my intermediate plate and am probable gonna have bearing replaced while im this far because i get a grinding type noice on the high way in 4th and 5th gear. ive read thats due to bearing starting to go bad.
T86OTA