Author Topic: Need some help from the yota guru's, 98 runner engine issues in socal..  (Read 1186 times)

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
My bro sent me this, I recommended he first pull the dip stick to see if the oil is milky and second hunt for a vacuum leak and have the battery checked at a kragen or someplace that does that for free. This is for someone that works for him, let's help out a fellow yota owner - and if your in the irvine area and would like some good karma maybe you can even go check it out..

Got a question for you related to toyotas. I have afriend here at work with a 98 4runner that is having problems.
It died yesterday after work. I gave it a jump and now the battery seams to be ol but it keeps dying. Seams like it is not getting enough gas to get going and dies before it can reach a good idle.

I picked up a fuel filter and some gumout and am hoping it is just clogged up.  Not sure what else to trouble shoot. Maybe timing or something electrical.  It changing the filter doesn't work I guess I will have them tow it to a shop. Poor girl has no monney because of all our paycuts so I may end up having to help her out...
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
sounds like an alternator... he jumped it, and it worked, but then the engine trys to run off a dead battery because the alternator isnt charging, and it cant, so it dies
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Brandon [OP]

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
makes sense, know how to test one other than remove and have it tested?
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would pull that alternator out and take it to a Kragen to have it tested.

P.S. The warning lights on the dash would have come on if the alt went out and it was working of off battery power.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
toss a voltmeter on the battery, the battery should be 12.6 when off... with vehicle running, you should be in the low to mid 14 volts.... 14.6 is usually the max, 14.1 would be the low spectrum

12 volt vehicles really run off of 14 volt power.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~