Author Topic: Brake light never turns off  (Read 2975 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
Brake light never turns off
« on: May 23, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
After doing the SAS on my 87 runner the brake light on the dash permanently stays on. I swapped in a new master cylinder from kragen and left the brake calipers alone. I did try both tops off my old master cylinder and new master cylinder and the light doesn't go out. I unplugged the switch to the Ebrake and this didn't change anything either. What do I need to check next? I don't have any other lights coming if this helps.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Re: Brake light never turns off
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:34:40 PM »
My 87 4Runner does the same thing, there is a tab on the ebrake rod that must contact the switch when the ebrake is released.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 03:21:43 PM »
Checked the tab and it is pushing the switch in, is there anything else that could cause this?
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 08:16:35 AM »
its possible the float in the cap is no longer floating. Mine did that so I did what any reasonable person did. I unhooked the wire.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 08:32:29 AM »
stupid question but did you check the e-brake. Has it released all the way.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:17 PM »
The E- brake looks like it is all the way down and it engages the switch. The float is new and I tried both the old top and the new with the same results. If I disconnect the top of the master cylinder the light stays on, same with the switch on the e brake. Haven't tried to disconnect both switches, that will be next.

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:36:23 PM »
Have you tried pushing the e-brake switch with it connected to see if the light goes out?
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »
Pull the wire off the distribution block and see if it turns off.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:29:18 PM »
Pull the wire off the distribution block and see if it turns off.

Where is the distribution block? Are you talking about the plug in the back of the speedometer housing?

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 04:32:41 PM »
Have you tried pushing the e-brake switch with it connected to see if the light goes out?

Pushed it in several times and the light gets dimmer but doesn't go out.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:17:23 PM »
Where is the distribution block? Are you talking about the plug in the back of the speedometer housing?

Should be in the engine compartment.   Usually on the firewall or close to it.

Follow the lines from the master until you find it.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Grunt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Mar '09
  • Improvise,Adapt,Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 04:59:55 AM »
Second this, happened to my 86
its possible the float in the cap is no longer floating. Mine did that so I did what any reasonable person did. I unhooked the wire.
With your shield or on it

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 09:12:41 AM »
even with the wire unhooked, the light will still stay on wont it?
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
Disconnected both the master cylinder top wires and the switch at the bottom of the parking brake and the light is still on. Checked the float and it moves up and down when placed in the fluid. Swapped old top of M/C back on and have no change at all. Traced out the wires from the M/C top and they are in plastic into the inside of the fender. When I cycle the switch for the E-brake I see a change in the light when I cycle the switch on top of the M/C i see no change with either top. Also checked both brake lights, jiggled wires, checked muffler bearings, and checked the blinker fluid. All check good. This is driving my even crazier than normal.

Does the Load sensing valve for the rear axle have any electrics in it? I don't see any, but the only other thing I can thing of changing is swapping in 63 chevies which raised up the back of my rig when I was doing the SAS.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 10:04:19 AM »
Mine does the same thing if after I release the brake I don't pull it back up about 2" and slam it back down. I thinks it sticks right at the last little bit and dose not depress the switch enough.

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 04, 2009, 10:28:22 AM »
Help me figure this out, I talk to an old toyota mechanic and he tells me to rebleed the entire brake system and then stomp hard on the brake. According to him this will correct an imbalance in the system and shut the light off. SO I bleed the brakes, stomp on them as hard as I can a couple of times, and then this morning the light is off. I haven't driven it for three days so it sat for a while but the light is off. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?  :yikes:

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Jun 04, 2009, 01:50:34 PM »
Help me figure this out, I talk to an old toyota mechanic and he tells me to rebleed the entire brake system and then stomp hard on the brake. According to him this will correct an imbalance in the system and shut the light off. SO I bleed the brakes, stomp on them as hard as I can a couple of times, and then this morning the light is off. I haven't driven it for three days so it sat for a while but the light is off. Anyone ever hear of anything like this?  :yikes:

Yes, it recenters the switch in the distribution block (that I mentioned previously)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15