Author Topic: dusy questions  (Read 5676 times)

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
Re: dusy questions
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #31 on: Jun 01, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »
BirdDog thanks for the links.

I got a chance to hang out with BirdDog this weekend and he filled me in with some more info.

The proposed changes will not take affect until Jan 1, 2010 (at the earliest). Therefore, this summer, the Dusy trail will open like normal as soon as the snow melts and the Fresno club gets in there to clear the trail. The August date will not take affect 2009.

And the problem with the Frog is that currently the protection laws surrounding the Frog only apply to wilderness land. But the Dusy trail goes through about a 600 foot wide corridor between the John Muir and the Dinkey Lakes wildernesses. So the laws and envirowackos don't have anything to do with the Dusy trail, but apparently the Forest Service is afraid that if they don't at least acknowledge the presence of the frog and at least pretend to do something anything about it, then they might get hit with a law suit in the near future which would only make the problem worse.

Look, the trail has been used since the 1960s, I've NEVER seen dead frogs in tire tracks or splattered on rocks, in fact, I've never even seen one of these Yosemite Frogs in all my time on the trail. It is my opinion that off highway vehicles that use the Dusy trail are not endangering this Frog. Like other envirowacked crap, this is all about control and public restriction. :twocents: :twocents:

BirdDog even told me that they passed a law to prevent Horse riding during this mating season for the Frogs. Really? Are horses really trampling and murdering these frogs? When did the primary predator for a frog become a horse?? :smack:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

IrieKidinCal

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 180
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 01, 2009, 05:48:36 PM »
 :smack:  This :pokinit: is crazy... So I went up too Prather Forestry dept. on sat to talk with them and possibly get some more info on this matter. They kinda joked about it saying they had herd of this but had no info on it. The woman said it probably wouldnt take effect till 2010 anyways. STILL BS none the less, [they found it strange as well]  Well keep me posted if I need too go too meetings and vote so be it. We need too keep our land open! Keep this tree hugging fags outta there!!!!  I spend a lot of time up at courtright and wishon area in the summer, have for years! I"VE NEVER SEEN ONE OF THESE IN MY LIFE!  Once they get their foot in the door and close or pro long the opening of the trail its all down hill from there...  :eek:

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 01, 2009, 07:33:51 PM »
  Once they get their foot in the door and close or pro long the opening of the trail its all down hill from there...  :eek:

Well Consider it all down hill then.

They are in the door & will not stop till they get their way. Even if we beat them on the toad they will find something else. Sorry to be so negative but we lost this battle a long time ago. Now we are paying the price. Our biggest problem is this endangered and or threatened species act. That's gotta go & I really don't see that happening until we revolt . The courts & all these mandates are destroying our country. I'm not saying we give up by any means it's just sad that it all seems to tilt in their favor now.

For now please follow the links I provided below & read up on it as much as you can also check out the maps on the links. Ex: If we lose a road that leads to your favorite camp site on a trail the Forest Service says that they will be open to suggestions in the future about reopening stuff. Well if you believe that your in trouble. Also the last time I looked at the map of Dusy they only marked one camp area marked for Thompson Lake & it is the one on the south side of the trail close to where they had us put the pit toilet in last year. Well I have been camping at the main Thompson Lake campground for years which is across the trail on the north side of the trail about a 1/2 mile further east. Well if we are not able to get them to add that site then we will have to park 1 truck length off the trail & carry all our stuff down to the site.

I know I'm rambling but this is just 1 example of why each & every one of us needs to check the maps & educate ourselves on this toad then submit our own personal comment to Ed Cole. Oh & one more thing to remember is that if you don't submit a comment about an issue or trail or site then in the future you will not be allowed to protest request a review of that decision.

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 02, 2009, 08:49:14 AM »
when summitting a comment like bird dog says you must have your name and info on it other wise you forfit the abbility to appeals thier decision
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

00taco

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 156
  • Member since Feb '09
  • Cant wait to do SAS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 02, 2009, 09:12:36 AM »
that is a bunch of :bull crap: I planning on running a portion of dusy this summer... i hate enviro :stopit:

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 30, 2009, 04:34:15 PM »
TTT

Today is the last day to submit a comment to the Sierra National Forest. Please take the time to do so.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 01, 2009, 03:18:32 PM »
Birddog, do you know of any place to park trailer and tow rig for the dusy trail? I called Edison Lake to see if i could pay to park in their boat parking/storage area and they said no unless i camp there. They want $30. a night to camp, which i think sucks since i wont even be there. When we go to Tahoe we store the trailers at Meeks bay for about 25.00 total.

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 01, 2009, 06:28:28 PM »
Yes there is parking at both ends of the trail.

The north end has plenty of room between White Bark & Kaiser pass.

The south end at Courtright Reservoir has a Parking area & restroom at the end of the road. Probably 100 feet from the start of the trail.

For parking in between the start & finish towards Dinkey Creek or Shaver Lake I would say there are some good spots along Dinkey Creek rd. Between highway 168 & Rock Creek Rd. or the Bald Mountain turnoff. There are een spots along Rock Creek rd.

HDcruiser

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 580
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 02, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
Thanks BirdDog for the info, i will take you up on your suggestions. If my buddy and i are going to park along Dinky road with our trailers, is there a parking restriction for overnight parking? How about a fee to park? Sorry to ask these questions, but its been about 6-7 years since i was on this trail and we drove up our rigs from San Diego. We are planning to start the trail head on sunday afternoon and take our time,do some fishing and enjoy our time off work..
PS we will have 3 tow vehicles with 3 18' trailers, we just need enough room for that.

Sean