Author Topic: Marlin rebuilt L52HD is noisey  (Read 32615 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Re: Marlin rebuilt L52HD is noisey
« Reply #90 on: Sep 16, 2010, 07:22:07 AM »
Why not call and be proactive about this whole thing?  Sitting and waiting is not the thing to do in my book. Call them before pulling anything.

Well, it seemed to me that they didn't know what was causing these trannys to be bad, otherwise why would you get so many? So I was hoping to wait until they did figure it out. Sounds like some things are getting figured out, though, so I will work with them.
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Sep 16, 2010, 09:13:09 AM »
Well, it seemed to me that they didn't know what was causing these trannys to be bad, otherwise why would you get so many? So I was hoping to wait until they did figure it out. Sounds like some things are getting figured out, though, so I will work with them.

I'm thinking (sometimes that can be dangerous) that we are a very small minority of the majority of these transmissions that go out world wide. As much as I didn't wanna R&R another trans, Marilin Inc. has been more than helpful than most other businesses out there. I'm sure they figured it out by now. I can't believe how smooth and quiet this trans is.      It feels like a w56 or newer style trans when shifting. I got so used to the "problemed" trannys that I just wanna drive because this one feels and performs SA-WEEEEEET!
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

zembalayan

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 254
  • Male Posts: 486
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Sep 16, 2010, 12:38:17 PM »
I'm thinking (sometimes that can be dangerous) that we are a very small minority of the majority of these transmissions that go out world wide. As much as I didn't wanna R&R another trans, Marilin Inc. has been more than helpful than most other businesses out there. I'm sure they figured it out by now. I can't believe how smooth and quiet this trans is.      It feels like a w56 or newer style trans when shifting. I got so used to the "problemed" trannys that I just wanna drive because this one feels and performs SA-WEEEEEET!

Glad to hear it's working well!  Love your truck BTW.

I have to say that I think that your thinking is correct in that
[you] are a very small minority of the majority of these transmissions that go out world wide.

First, I have a sweet L52HD myself that operates perfectly well, and I am one of those people (in the majority) who barely posts on BBs like this one, but who has some experience with Marlin.  

Second, Marlin operates (in my mind) the only successful company-based BB for off-road tech and enthusiasts, and his BB allows his customers and others to publish openly any and all criticisms about his own products on his own board.  What can be deceptive about this situation is that this BB represents a microscopically small slice of Marlin's actual customers, but for the people who are on here a lot, it can seem to represent the sum total of all of Marlin's customers, and if a handful have had bad luck, then that feeling can be extrapolated to the erroneous conclusion that everyone has had problems.  It's just not true, and until we have someone on here who can demonstrate Bodhisattva-like clairvoyance and omniscience, and then accurately inform the rock crawling world of what's really going on, I will remain skeptical of all encompassing criticisms of Marlin's service, shipping, and quality.  I will feel sympathy for anyone who encounters a problem of course because it certainly does matter quite a bit to him.

It never ceases to amaze me when I meet wheelers offline, just how many do NOT visit or post on Pirate, Mud, Marlin, or other sites, and these experiences lead me to conclude that the proverbial identification and criticism of the tiny world of "Web Wheelers" is actually valid.  For example, when I visited Marlin's shop in 2009, I met a dude from L.A. who had popped in for some drive train work on a stock truck.  We talked, and I got the sense that he was a word-of-mouth referral who never intends to rock crawl or read BB posts about the sport.  How many people are like him who live world wide, but who will never post how excellent their experience has been with Marlin?  I'd say a lot!  I have even seen Marlin products recommended on VW/Audi forum posts.  Who knew?

I also have observed that some of the people who are very critical of Marlin's products seem to exude an attitude that they have somehow graduated from Toyota/Marlin products, and they want to express their newly-found credibility to the rock crawling community, that their matured, experienced, and nuanced view has evolved to prefer beefier parts and disdain the tastes of basic Toyota enthusiasts, a group they may have once identified stongly with.  To add further to their self-initiated drive to be perceived as more competent than the next guy, they sometimes actively support Marlin's competitors on a part by part basis to prove that they are "independent" consumers who think for themselves, and they are wheelers who are smart enough and experienced enough to have a more worldly view than those who have drunk the Kool-Aid.  

Just like the next guy, I like to see people use what works and think independently, but then there is also something refreshing about those who just use the parts they like rather than bash weaker parts for their own self-edification.  I love that Mike Schaffer uses a Toyota 4cyl diff on his Baja rig, and actually has the cred to just use stuff and not talk crap about non-one ton stuff.  You never heard Dan Trout talking crap about Toyota; instead, he just took action and built some pretty cool stuff as he moved from a basic dual-cased 1980 p/u to his TT Hilux build, and then to the 4405 buggy.  I also wish there were more guys like Oops who definitely has the self-confidence to help those with less knowledge, rather than get an esteem boost from flaming people, telling people to search, or bashing vehicle type.  Here’s a classic and recent example of what I am talking about:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=913626&highlight=

I also try to follow the school of thought that a person should always say aloud his complaints to obtain a solution and write down his praise to record more permanently his sense of gratitude.  
 :twocents:
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2010, 08:24:28 PM by zembalayan »

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Sep 16, 2010, 04:04:04 PM »
I am currently stashing cash for an L52HD of my own but I gotta admit I am having second thoughts.  It would be nice to know how many have been built and are running trouble free might help sway some opinions if it's one in fifty that have issues as opposed to three of five.
No body wants to have issues with a new trans especially on their DD but I was floored to see that pic of Marlin himself standing in Hilux's garage.  I think it's better to support the guy who has supported these trucks and the people who love them, no one is perfect and mistakes are made, but I'd like to see a response from Marlin explaining the issues and basically just what the L52HD is.  It only took a couple comments about the gears are or are not upgraded just the bearings to get me thinking and wondering.

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Sep 16, 2010, 05:50:06 PM »
There is a TON of them around and working perfectly.   Heck he built a few for the F toy which took WAY more abuse then even a R151F was designed to take.  We all know the Marlin F toy finished the hammers without any trans issues.   I wouldnt hesitate to buy one.  The one I got was more a private deal which I dont want to get into.   If you want a trans that will last then get one from Marlin.  Remember he takes what he does seriously and personnel.   If something goes wrong he wants to know why and how to never let it happen again.  Any other shop wouldnt care.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #95 on: Sep 16, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
for a few years Angelo was the transmission builder for Marlin under Marlins specs of course.  Marlin worked on new product and going to events to promote business.

I'd be willing to bet money these transmissions went out in the week or so after Angelo left MarlinCrawler Inc and the time Marlin himself took over building the transmissions again HIMSELF.

I can only tell you guys what Marlin told me while riding in my truck with me in January 2010 in Gilmer TX.
"Glen your transmission was the first upgraded L52HD, all L52HD's since I started making them (cant remember the year but its been several) have used a gear set from a G54 transmission.  We line bore the L52 housing to accept the larger G54 bearings."

that's what Marlin told ME  ----> THAT GUY

AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:40:54 AM »
Good posts, everyone.  :greengrin:

I agree we're a small minority, but still, clearly there was an issue. One guy getting 4 bad transmissions in a row, is, in my mind, enough to make a person step back and think about it before sending their tranny back to Marlin for work. Whether simply a batch of bad bearings, or a bad employee, it's time to figure out what's wrong. Sounds like maybe they have. Either way, I think I'm justified in being wary of having them work on my tranny, when Hilux got so many bad ones in a row.

There's been no-one posting here who actually has problems with their transmission who has put Marlin down. Only "potential" customers who said something about thinking twice before getting a Marlin built tranny.

My only issues are the one's I wrote above. Obviously, seeing what they've done for Hilux-1983, they're going way out of their way to make sure things are right for him. For me, it's been a "wait until they get it right" kind of thing. I'm not willing to pull my tranny 4 times waiting for them to figure out what they're doing wrong.

Sucks that I'm past my warranty though.
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Oct 20, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
Well, here it is a month and few days later and..........
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #98 on: Oct 20, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »
.......and it's doing great!!

Finished your sentence :thumbs:

Mike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:08:14 PM »
.......and it's doing great!!

Finished your sentence :thumbs:

Mike

You got that right Mike!!!  Tell Pops I'm sooooo diggin this one. 

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Oct 22, 2010, 11:28:28 PM »
Shall do!! :best:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #101 on: Oct 23, 2010, 10:28:44 AM »
this just in,  my L52HD  still performs flawlessly :cheese:  even between a hopped up 22R and hauling/towing loads meant for a full size truck :disturbed:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:08:30 AM »
Mine's so bad I can't drive it now :gap:

I'll be sending it in pretty soon, though. I emailed mentioning that I had waited so long because I didn't want to get 4 bad transmissions like hilux did, and they said they knew nothing of somebody getting 4 bad transmissions  :shake:
Zach
I like Yotatech

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Oct 25, 2010, 09:47:50 AM »
For all the hassle I believe the man cud have sat down, read a book, and learned to re build it himself. But nice to see he got one that seems to be working. A month isnt gonna tell u if a tranny is good tho. Prob just barely gettin broken in. Only time will tell
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
I emailed mentioning that I had waited so long because I didn't want to get 4 bad transmissions like hilux did, and they said they knew nothing of somebody getting 4 bad transmissions  :shake:
We are aware of hilux-1983's situation and worked diligently to make it right for him. I trust we will take care of your transmission as well :thumbs: Who ever replied to you (you don't need to mention any names) probably just didn't think about this because it is extremely rare for one of our transmissions to not be built right the first time. Sure you see some complaints here and there on the forum, but considering the hundreds of transmissions we build for people who aren't into the whole internet/forum scene, the online complaints are a small percentage. Seriously. But I'm glad we have this forum to provide high quality support to our customers!

Regards,
BigMike

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Oct 25, 2010, 10:18:13 AM »
For all the hassle I believe the man cud have sat down, read a book, and learned to re build it himself. But nice to see he got one that seems to be working. A month isnt gonna tell u if a tranny is good tho. Prob just barely gettin broken in. Only time will tell

I depended on Marlin Inc because of their reputation and warranty. I've been in the automotive business(as a tech for over 20yrs, as a shop foreman, asst service manager and service writer. So, yes I could have "sat down and read a book". I've gotten a little bit lazier in my older years. I was just sold out on Marlins rep and figured I'd save time and money. Well, you probably know the rest of the story.  But hey, it took some time, patience, understanding, appologies, a little bit of gear oil :) and it all worked out.  I'll still continue to buy parts and support them.
I've spoken with Marlin many times. I guess I'm just a little old fashioned. I took his word that he would fix the whole ordeal. We shook hands and I had faith in his "handshake and word" that he would, and he did.
83MT- Call in and talk to Chris, he knows all to well about my trans issues.
On another note: (sparkplug) Thanks for shipping so fast. Shipping verification says I'm supposed to get those parts that you sold me today.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Oct 25, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »
Funny because that's exactly who "knew nothing" of your situation...unless there's more than one.

Either way, I'm ok with sending it in. Even though it was obviously a huge pain, and clearly there was something very wrong for you to get so many bad ones in a row, I'm cool with sending mine in since (regarldess of what I was told) I believe that they must know what was wrong, and have fixed it. I just need to get the motivation up to take the thing out before it gets too cold!  :greengrin:

BTW, since I know it's buried in 4 pages, I have mentioned that I've noticed how much out of their way MC has gone to make things right for you, hilux. I definitely see that. What I don't get is the "closed door" way that it's all been dealt with, which is what's made me hesitant to send mine in. I mean...do you know what was wrong with all those trannys or not?? But I understand that they don't use this forum the same way we do, so whatever.

I'll be sending mine in, and I'll trust that they'll let me know if the issues with it are their fault.
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2010, 03:03:43 PM by 83MT »
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Dec 10, 2010, 07:00:00 AM »
Well, we finally got the transmission out last weekend, so it'll be on it's way to California soon! It actually went really smooth and quick and painless, so now I feel a little stupid for complaining about how much I hate pulling it.  :slap:   :gap:
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: Dec 10, 2010, 10:18:41 AM »
Great to hear!!! I've got about 5k on mine now.  Still doing just fiiiiiiine. I'm traveling about 120 miles a day to work now.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Jan 13, 2011, 02:37:42 PM »
Sorry it's just insane how slowly I've been moving on this, but it's been cold and shipping is expensive.

Do I need to remove the reverse indicator wiring, or does that stay on the transmission when I ship it? It's going to be warm the next few days and I just bought a container to ship it in today, so I might get it shipped out sometime in the next couple months!  :gap:
Zach
I like Yotatech

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:58:41 PM »
You know I think you might want to order, pay core then return? Cuz I think marlin wouldn't mind his shipping crate back? Also return shipping under his account might be cheaper?
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Jan 13, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
We always supply nice clean reverse indicator wiring so you can leave your old one with the core :thumbs:

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Jan 14, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »
Great, thanks BigMike.

Bog Toy this is a transmission from Marlin. My core was sent back to them over two years ago, in their shipping container. I'm sending my L52HD back due to problems, so I needed to buy a container and ship it myself. The ordering of the tranny and shipping back of the core happend a long time ago.
Zach
I like Yotatech

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »
Ahh gotcha cool deal, go MC
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:31:12 PM »
Alright, she's off! Should arrive in CA on or around the 19th.  :driving:
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: Jan 15, 2011, 03:48:39 AM »
 :clap:

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:02:15 PM »
Well, sounds like Marlin tore down my transmission and pressure washed everything, and didn't find any issues that would be causing the noise I've been hearing. A weak shift spring caused it to start popping out of first. That's good news...but after replacing my rear diff, checking out u-joints, and rebuilding the transfer case, I'm pretty puzzled as to what my noise could be...

Anyways, hopefully my truck will be back on the road soon, and I guess I'll start chasing after that noise again.
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: Feb 01, 2011, 02:27:49 PM »
Well, I decided to have all the latest upgrades done to the tranny while they've got it. Hilux, hopefully I'll be as happy with it as you are with yours now!
Zach
I like Yotatech

hilux-1983 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
Good idea. I'm still happy with it. Doing great. Can't wait to hear how your does when it finally gets dropped back in.....

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Feb 07, 2011, 07:28:56 AM »
Hopefully this week or weekend. Supposed to drop down to zero the next day or so, so I'll wait for better weather.
Zach
I like Yotatech