Author Topic: Recovering Stairs  (Read 3218 times)

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Recovering Stairs
« on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
So I have some stairs that go from upstairs to downstairs. They are covered in this nasty, stained, off-white carpet that is pulling up and just looks miserable in general, not to mention all the staples that are being pulled out with it. Getting staples in the feet gets old fast. So I was wondering what my options were for recovering the stairs. I am guessing carpet would be the easiest to do, but I am not real fond of carpet. What other options do I have? This would be a DIY job, so the options need to be fairly DIY friendly. Thanks for any input, it is much appreciated.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: Recovering Stairs
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:22:45 PM »
What kind of wood? If it's nice...stain and finish them. Other than that...I gots nu'in!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:27:01 PM »
What kind of wood? If it's nice...stain and finish them. Other than that...I gots nu'in!

A quick peek reveals painted over 2xwhatevers for the horizontals and particle board for the verticals. Definitely not nice wood at all. Actually kind of ghetto.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »
A quick peek reveals painted over 2xwhatevers for the horizontals and particle board for the verticals. Definitely not nice wood at all. Actually kind of ghetto.

How handy are you? Could you make/install a new set?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:49:01 PM »
Pictures? Easiest is replacing the carpet.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »
How handy are you? Could you make/install a new set?

I have built stairs before, the largest set being I think 7. Now by myself the largest set I have built was 3 and they turned out well. That was around 5 years ago. This is a set of 13, and with the help of my dad and grandpa I bet I could pull it off. I have never done interior stairs before though, just exterior.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:54:18 PM »
Pictures? Easiest is replacing the carpet.

Yup.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2009, 08:58:24 PM »
Yuck. Defiantly re-carpet.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2009, 09:26:12 PM »
Carpet, thick shag, the most putrid split pee green you can find  :yupyup:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2009, 10:19:28 PM »
Hardwood or laminate with stair nose looks real good and is pretty easy to install.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 23, 2009, 10:25:56 PM »
Yuck. Defiantly re-carpet.

:(

Carpet, thick shag, the most putrid split pee green you can find  :yupyup:

:rofl: If only it were the seventies...

Hardwood or laminate with stair nose looks real good and is pretty easy to install.

Would that be possible with the current construction of the stairs? or would I have to lay new boards? I can lay new boards, probably even make a whole new staircase if I have to, but that is $$

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 23, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
KInda depends on how much the stairs move or squeak. If they are noisy or move quite a bit i would fix that. But if they feel solid i would just lay right over them. Also if the stringers for your stairs are in good shape you could just replace the treads and risers and that would be quick.

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
KInda depends on how much the stairs move or squeak. If they are noisy or move quite a bit i would fix that. But if they feel solid i would just lay right over them. Also if the stringers for your stairs are in good shape you could just replace the treads and risers and that would be quick.

Yes that is the terminology I was looking for, haha. I will have to pull it apart to see what things look like. They squeek a lot, probably should just all be replaced. From what I have looked at, they are very hacked together.

FLRunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »
That would not be hard to do in Hardwood   I do these all the time   . If you want you can PM me and i can walk you through it  .   The treads  (the part that you step on ) run about $25 each  and the Risers ( the part your toe kicks )  depends on if you want paint grade   or  stain grade .  .  You will need a  table saw and a slideing chop saw  . Like i said send me a PM and i can give you detailed instructions on how to do this .

KDXSR5 [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2009, 03:56:58 PM »
That would not be hard to do in Hardwood   I do these all the time   . If you want you can PM me and i can walk you through it  .   The treads  (the part that you step on ) run about $25 each  and the Risers ( the part your toe kicks )  depends on if you want paint grade   or  stain grade .  .  You will need a  table saw and a slideing chop saw  . Like i said send me a PM and i can give you detailed instructions on how to do this .

Thanks for the input. If I do proceed to do this I will PM you. At this point I will just live with the crappy carpet for a while. I do have both of those tools though, so I am set in that respect.

FLRunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2009, 03:58:35 PM »
PS : you will have to measure the distance from the Floor to the top of the first step      and then  the the top of the last step to the 2nd floor  and i can tell you if you need to make any adjustment to your rise and run .