Author Topic: Hy-steer alignment-help me save my new tires.  (Read 1697 times)

gferris5

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
Hy-steer alignment-help me save my new tires.
« on: Sep 23, 2004, 03:53:32 PM »
Hey-
Well, after a many month hiatus from the BB, I'm posting a question I should have asked a couple of years ago.

My swampers are tired and ready to go. Before I get new tires, I want to fix whatever problem is causing my right front tire to wear way faster than than the rest of my tires. I have a lot of bump-steer (too much lift) so I'm guessing that that's what is doing it. But, I'd like to correct that-I need to fab up a dampener. But I'd also like to know what you guys are doing to get the alignment with your hy-steer dialed in nicely. 

I also need to ask for more detail about setting up the shims underneath the knuckle-I've never messed with mine, but I think I need to when I do my front end rebuild. I'd just like to know, well, what they do, I haven't really looked at them...and why they're important to have set up correctly. Will having them set up correctly help my premature tire wear?

Thanks...
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Hy-steer alignment-help me save my new tires.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2004, 04:00:21 PM »
I think those shims are for the k. brearing perload. it shoud take about 5-15 lbs of pull to trun the knuckles. (no tie rods on ofcouse)
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2004, 05:51:34 PM »
You should take it too an alignment shop.  thats what i need to do to mine.

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2004, 06:40:39 PM »
I measured mine inside of rotor to inside of rotor to a 16th of an inch.  Got everything back together after hi steer and had death wobble after setting the tie rod exactly where it should be.  No steering stabilizer, but that shouldn't make that much of a difference.  I guess I messed with something that was perfect to begin with from Japan??
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

gferris5 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Oct '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2004, 11:16:06 PM »
Do you guys think that my tire wear is due to the alignment? Poor tire pressure-that tire has a small leak-? Bump Steer? All three?
Will re-doing the kingpin preload help keep it from wearing out? I just want these new MTRs to last  :driving: :beerchug: Thanks again.
85' 4Runner- SWAPPED--Dodge Caravan IFS-front and rear, 235R13's on each corner, hubcaps. Toyota Corona drivetrain swap. Locked, left and right side doors, with the windows up.