Author Topic: What should I drive to Tahoe  (Read 4705 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: What should I drive to Tahoe
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:48:15 PM »
Seeing how much snow we got in this last storm at my house which is an hour+ DOWN the hill from Kirkwood and the rest of the slopes up there, I would say take the 4runner. If this next storm is anything like the last one the summit is going to see a lot of snow. I would rather have the 4 wheel drive and take it slower than have the altima and have to deal with chains and not having 4wd in the snow.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »
I grew up in Colorado so chaining up is a foreign concept to me, but @ 80 mph avg the trip would be 2 hours and 45 minutes and @ 60 mph avg it would be about 3 hours and 40 minutes.  So is an extra hour worth not having to stop and install chains?

I drive my rig from WA to Moab and the Rubicon around 65 mph so it can be done.  If you were going farther then it might be worth the trade, but over an hour?
 :twocents:

:dunno:  Me personally, it takes a grand total of 5-10 minutes to chain up.  I've never found chaining up to be the big ordeal some want to make it out to be.  Know how to do it, keep in mind you may have to and be prepared for it clothing wise.  I am well aware that driving somewhere long distance at 65 can be done, its simply a matter of whether it is worth it.  Personally, I'd rather ride in the altima or similar vehicle for 3 hours than my toyota.  Of course, thats my personal experience with my truck.  It isn't exactly built for comfort, the seats are the originals, old and broken down, lots of wind noise, the vehicle itself is loud, etc.  Not to say I haven't done it, nor will I never do it again. 

I can say I drove the pass 2x on saturday, and neither time was it horrible, going down or coming back up.  The first time it was fairly clear, toward the evening we had a nice snowstorm going on, but I certainly didn't have any problems and neither did any of the cars I was around. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

pyrosnow911

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 418
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »
youll be fine in your runner. its safe, just dont be a smart  :moon: and think you can do the same stuff as an acura integra. but people on this board are smart, thats why they choose marlin. so you will be fine. just dont get in a hurry. and pay attention. i really wish i had paid more attention. cause now i have to start from scratch again.

graphic nature

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2009, 12:29:16 PM »
yea im a good driver in the snow, i snowboard here in our mountains all the time with snow on the road, im a good driver,
yea the conditions look awesome so far kirkwood has been getting over 10 inches a day seems like these past few,
and i live for snowboarding powder so if it snows, that doesnt bother me, just cover up :yupyup:

he is telling the truth I've experienced the driving with him up there...he does drive like a grandma (all the time).

sorry for throwing you under the bus Joeman

Joey88RUNR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Feb 19, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
Goodnews, My uncle let me borrow his 03 expedition, 4x4, so we should be GOOD! :driving:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2009, 06:12:40 PM »
Goodnews, My uncle let me borrow his 03 expedition, 4x4, so we should be GOOD! :driving:

Nice. Have fun, snow up there is going to be great
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting