Author Topic: np435 to toyota case to bronco dana 20...anybody got any ideas??  (Read 3523 times)

yotaman89

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
OK...I got an 89 'yota with a chevy smallblock, advance adapters bellhousing to a np435 tranny and a bronco dana 20.  I want to put the high/low section of my old toyota transfercase between the np435 and the dana 20.  Does anybody know how i could manage this??

Thanks!!

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
don't think it's gonna be possible unless you have a machinist do it.  better off to get the toy-300 adapter and flip the 300

yotaman89 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
The Dana 18 and Dana 20 bolt up the same I think...may be a 300 bolts up the same as a 20.  Do you know if it does??

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Yes, it was made by Klune V and used a Marlin Crawer in between the NP435 and the Modle 20 t/case.
We supplied the Toyota parts, and Klune V sold the adapters. I beleive they discontinued it about two years ago?

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

yotaman89 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I didn't realize I was going to get a reply from the man himself  :thumbs:  Thanks for your help, Marlin.  Is there any way I could talk you in to makin one for me since you supplied Klune-V with the parts?  I'd like it with the 4.7:1 gearset in it.  I already have the crawler section of my transfer case.  May be I could give it to you as a core or something??  Please let me know if we could do this. 
Thanks again!

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Sorry, but I never made those adapter plates :smack:

Maybe Klune would have some left over :crossed:

I recall a Bronco only shop calling me a year or so ago that had a complete unit for sell--they pulled it out because the truck was going too slow :smack:

And of course,I dont remember who it was.

Marlin

1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

yotaman89 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
OK...I'll see what I can do to track it down.  I guess the granny on my NP435 and the low range on my 20 will be slow enough for now.  I mean...how slow do u wann go through the mud anyways??  After all, the Rubicon in winter is no place to take my truck after having just built it.  May be I'll see you at Hollister this year.  I got a tubing bender on the way for my roll cage and front tube frame (I removed the whole toyota front end except for the frame).  Other than that, I gotta figure out how to convert the old Ford high pinion Dana 44 to disk brakes and fabrcate some steering...then mount the motor.  I already fab'd some adapter plates for the motor mounts, but the shortness of the 435/20 setup put my shifters underneath the dash!!   :smack:  So I gotta move everything down about 2 inches and back about 6...so much for those motor mounts!! I want to make some that bolt to the lower front accesory holes on the smallblock anyways...frees up room for exhaust and steering.

If you're curious; the truck has a 350 with Vortec L31 heads, the 435 and the 20 of course, a front high pinion Dana 44 with drum brakes  :help: I grafted the Ford coil suspension that came with the axle onto my Toyota frame by welding the original ford coil mounts onto the spot where the frame is reinforced for the IFS.  Then I sleaved the cast iron Ford control arms with 2"X3" 1/4 wall square tube with a 10 degree upwards bend mounted on 1 1/4" rod ends (the arms are nice and long and mount at about the same spot as my front drive shaft will hook up, so the front's gonna work nice I think) The panhard bar is just 1/8" wall 1" square tube with another 10 degree bend mounted on 3/4" rod ends.  The rear is a 31 spline Ford 9" with a curry high pinion third member,4.10's, a detroit, and disk breaks mounted on home made hinged spring perches and NWOR 2" rear springs.  The truck has a 3" body lift to clear the smallblock, a shortened bed, and soon to have a full in cab roll cage and front tube frame.  It sits on 37" boggers.

Do you think I can use the stock Toyota power steering box and pump?? Somebody also said that I'd defeating the purpose of using a high pinion 44 by swapping in GM knuckles...do you think this is true??  Because it would definitely help me make it high-steer if i could get those knucles in. Also, do you know what i can steal some spindles and hubs off of to convert my axle to disk brakes and retain the ford 5 lug pattern?? 

I'm sorry I wrote so much, but I'm really in to my truck and want to get it done as soon as I can. Your help would be greatly appreciated.  My brother goes to Fresno State, so may be I could come visit your shop when I'm in town. 

Thanks a lot Marlin, your the man!