Author Topic: Trouble free 14'' 2.0" Remote Reservoir Shocks, help me spend my money:)  (Read 2513 times)

GU89Toy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
I'm fairly new to off roading, and need all the  :turtle: marlin family to help me out. before I throw out the hard earned money on some shocks. :bowdown: They will me mounted on My 89 toy V6 daily driver btw. :driving:  I'm looking at quality 14'' 2.0" Remote Reservoir Shocks that I could count on when I need them, throw out some brands, goods,bads,etc, trouble free is what I'm really looking at. :help:

300 dollars or less is what I am looking at for each shock.

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
wait u want coilovers or normal shocks?
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
i think hes talking about regular shocks. the best brands are sway a way, fox, bilstein, and king. in my opinion king is the best hands down. but i dont think you really need 2.0s for a daily driver/wheeler. they are mainly ment for pre-runners/desert trucks. if you want high end shock for just a wheeler/ DD i would go with a standard fox with resi. thats just my  :twocents:
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
Fox's are nice.  polyperformace.com sells them.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

GU89Toy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
i think hes talking about regular shocks. the best brands are sway a way, fox, bilstein, and king. in my opinion king is the best hands down. but i dont think you really need 2.0s for a daily driver/wheeler. they are mainly ment for pre-runners/desert trucks. if you want high end shock for just a wheeler/ DD i would go with a standard fox with resi. thats just my  :twocents:

Any part# I need for the standard 14" fox reservoir's?

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
When i need shocks i am going with fox's. I like bilstein 9100's too. Marlin sells bilsteins maybe he can get you some?

Bonzen

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • www.bonzenproductions.com
Your best bet for the price and the quality is the Bilstein 7100 series.  Nickel plated finish (pretty much impervious to the elements) and comes in a variety of valving options.  I have ran these for years on different trucks from prerunners to rockcrawlers and they are very well built shocks that can take a beating.  I have never had one leak.  Best of all, they run 175-200 each depending on how good you price shop.
The Trophy Tacoma - class 1450/1400

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
I'd go with FOA their newer company but I here good things I think most of the people their came from fox swayaway and king so their not stupid, the price is great for their shocks! For dd and wheeling it's the way to go their fully rebuild able and adjustable. I haven't had a chance to run them myself but I have two on the way for my own truck. I think their $165 a shock for  the ones your looking at

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
I'm fairly new to off roading, and need all the  :turtle: marlin family to help me out. before I throw out the hard earned money on some shocks. :bowdown: They will me mounted on My 89 toy V6 daily driver btw. :driving:  I'm looking at quality 14'' 2.0" Remote Reservoir Shocks that I could count on when I need them, throw out some brands, goods,bads,etc, trouble free is what I'm really looking at. :help:

300 dollars or less is what I am looking at for each shock.

Quality shocks can make crappy springs really nice. So I agree with buying the best possible, now unless you are racing I wouldn't be concerned about which one of the top four you buy. (Bilstein, King, Fox, Sway-Away) What is more important than any of those is which valving you decide on. Enough compression damping to not bottom out all the time and enough rebound damping that your return to ride height feels like soft pillows, not a catapult to the moon.
The best option you have is to purchase one that is rebuildable, (all of these are) so that if you order the wrong valving the first time, then you can change it your self with out having to pay full shop rates. You may have to rebuild them more than once or twice. And if you really want it done right, buy coilover shocks now (no springs), because you never know where your off-road hobbies will lead you. you may end up linking your truck one day.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2010, 08:08:59 PM by TacoRunner »
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Holy crap I just saw the original post date on this, what the heck.  :smack:
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html