Author Topic: New President and change of power  (Read 1849 times)

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
New President and change of power
« on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:09:21 PM »
As we watch a new president get inaugurated into office tomorrow I just want to leave you all with a couple of thoughts.

1.  a quote from Gerald Ford, "A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have"

2.  unknown source, "The government cannot give you anything it did not first take from someone else"

YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: New President and change of power
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:11:05 PM »
I like bacon.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Smoked cured for me.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »
How concerned is everyone regarding Obama's influence on public land?

I didn't get into politics until after Clinton's 2nd term was finished. Could someone mention a couple trails in California that were closed specifically because of Clinton?

So in other words, Obama is most likely going to take back land like Clinton's administration did.

Thoughts and comments on this please! :_order:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2009, 04:01:36 PM »

rock_krawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
I'm worried about the land grabs that have been mentioned before. I have no real concrete info, but I suspect it will take place again during Obama's administration. 
How can Obama win California at the same time that Prop 8 is winning?????

There are more idiots than homos?

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
We were talking about it at work today and I honestly don't think I'll be able to watch the inauguration.  I tried watching his acceptance speach and felt physically ill, had to change the channel.  My stomach turned up bad as soon as he opened his pie hole, and I'm afraid the same will happen this time. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:48:43 PM »
I like sausage.  give me some. :moon:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
We were talking about it at work today and I honestly don't think I'll be able to watch the inauguration.  I tried watching his acceptance speach and felt physically ill, had to change the channel.  My stomach turned up bad as soon as he opened his pie hole, and I'm afraid the same will happen this time. 

Same here.  I'm going to find something else to do. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:08:37 PM »
I like steak too!! oh ya and  :beer:
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Toymin8r [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2009, 09:39:16 PM »
How concerned is everyone regarding Obama's influence on public land?

I didn't get into politics until after Clinton's 2nd term was finished. Could someone mention a couple trails in California that were closed specifically because of Clinton?

So in other words, Obama is most likely going to take back land like Clinton's administration did.

Thoughts and comments on this please! :_order:

Not sure Mike but I do know that the largest recipient of campaign dollers from clubs like the Sierra Club over the last 3 years was none other than Barack Obama.  I had posted the statistics here somwhere several months ago.  Hillary Clinton was number 2.   It wouldn't surprise me to see the only wheeling spots available by the time Obama leaves office is private off road parks and the land use fees and taxes to run them will be atronomical.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2009, 10:22:53 PM »
Not sure Mike but I do know that the largest recipient of campaign dollers from clubs like the Sierra Club over the last 3 years was none other than Barack Obama.  I had posted the statistics here somwhere several months ago.  Hillary Clinton was number 2.   It wouldn't surprise me to see the only wheeling spots available by the time Obama leaves office is private off road parks and the land use fees and taxes to run them will be atronomical.
I think he has wayyyyy more important things to worry about at this point in time.... how about lets get the economy back on track so we can all have jobs and actually be able to afford to go wheeling.....I would imagine that wheelers is the last thing on his mind at least in the first 4 years
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:17:55 PM »
I doubt Obama will directly get involved with land-use issues-at least in the beginning, but I'll guarantee you that he will put people in places that do have influence, who will do his bidding-(secretary of the interior comes to mind). I was just talking with my clubs Cal4Wheel delegate, and she was telling me that we will have to pretty much give up on any ideas of opening any new trails, and will have to fight like hell to keep the few remaining ones we have. I guarantee you that we will see some of the worst fighting yet on land use issues. It is really time for anyone who has not taken the plunge into a club or joined one of the great land use organizations (treadlightly, blueribbon, friends of the Rubicon etc) to step up. We will need all the help we can get just to try and maintain what is already legally ours. We also need to do our parts to make sure "idiots" don't screw things up by trashing our public lands.

erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:25:43 PM »
I doubt Obama will directly get involved with land-use issues-at least in the beginning, but I'll guarantee you that he will put people in places that do have influence, who will do his bidding-(secretary of the interior comes to mind). I was just talking with my clubs Cal4Wheel delegate, and she was telling me that we will have to pretty much give up on any ideas of opening any new trails, and will have to fight like hell to keep the few remaining ones we have. I guarantee you that we will see some of the worst fighting yet on land use issues. It is really time for anyone who has not taken the plunge into a club or joined one of the great land use organizations (treadlightly, blueribbon, friends of the Rubicon etc) to step up. We will need all the help we can get just to try and maintain what is already legally ours. We also need to do our parts to make sure "idiots" don't screw things up by trashing our public lands.

erik
that could not have been said better  :clap2: I agree with you 100%

www.choptechfab.com

CHECK THE BUILD

peacesells

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -17
  • Male Posts: 791
  • Member since Jul '08
  • motley lou
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2009, 01:18:41 AM »
I think he has wayyyyy more important things to worry about at this point in time.... how about lets get the economy back on track so we can all have jobs and actually be able to afford to go wheeling.....I would imagine that wheelers is the last thing on his mind at least in the first 4 years

Agreed in full. Personally I the best things we can do to preserve our trails are 1. Show up to land use meetings in full force with the support of your club 2. keep all of the littering- go where they want to- throw your broken parts and beer cans out- guys off of the trail 3. Report any misuse you see to the proper authorities so it doesn't get blamed on us. 4. organize cleanups.

Ive seen more areas around my house closed because of flat out retards who go buy an ar15 and think then can blast away in any open field 10+ miles inside the edge of city limits, trash dumpers, or jackasses who light desert fires burning stolen cars than any other reason. The easiest way to keep people out is to close the roads. One of my favorite areas to go wheelin is in danger of being shut down because bodies keep turning out there. Has nothing to do with who the president is, its whatever ammo whomever wants the place closed has to bark at the people in the land department. Take away their ammo and theyve got nothin.. If anything, dont blame the president, blame the jackasses who wreck the place for everyone..

Might be a little different where youre at, but thats how it is here in Az.

this my man lysol, fresh out the joint