Author Topic: why not more 5.0l's?  (Read 4410 times)

havik

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 737
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
why not more 5.0l's?
« on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »
i have been researching motor swap options for about a year now.
for a while i have been looking into doing a 4.3l from a 90's chevy
more specific the cpi 4.3l from a 4x4 blazer (smog ref reasons) 195hp
i see alot of 4.3 tbi swaps and alot of sb350 swaps but
why not more 5.0l swaps?
i am sure there is a reason but to save me time can any one else tell me the answer?
cool thanks.

got another 85 runner. build coming soon!!

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
Re: why not more 5.0l's?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2008, 05:49:46 PM »
i would also like to know..
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2008, 06:44:38 PM »
I can't really give an answer, but here is why I wouldn't run a 5.0 over an SBC/4.3:
1. Parts prices and availability. Chevy parts are available anywhere on the planet, and usually cost less than their ford counterparts.
2. MPG and power. It seems that these go hand in hand with a chevy, but not so with a ford ie; low HP, good MPG and vice-verse.
3. Design and layout of engine and components. This is personal preference. I do NOT like the way ford stuff is engineered. I'm not a huge fan of chevy stuff either, but it's a bit better. I know that people like the front mount distributor, but you could run a points-style distributor with a pertronix unit and have a (reliable) electronic ignition and small footprint.
4. Name. If I swap in a 5.0 I can't call it a toylet. :gap:

havik [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2008, 09:56:27 PM »
totang
foyota
mustota
toyrd

yeah toylet trumps
thanks duffil i knew there had to be a good reason. it seems like the motors are more common and cost less but i too am not a ford fan what so ever.
cool thanks Duffil

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »
totang
foyota
mustota
toyrd

yeah toylet trumps
thanks duffil i knew there had to be a good reason. it seems like the motors are more common and cost less but i too am not a ford fan what so ever.
cool thanks Duffil
around here i could get a 350 a lot cheaper than a 302...or even a 4.3 :dunno:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »
A 305 SBC is a 5.0 liter................

But if you can fit a 305 SBC, why not a 383........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:08:36 PM »
If I were to do a v8 swap a ford 302 would be WAAAAYYYY higher on my swap list than a sbc.  Why?  Smaller, excellent aftermarket following, good dependability, probably one of, if not the, cheapest ford engine to buy parts for, and the biggest reason:  ford wasn't dumb enough to put the distributor in the back  :shake:  Swap in a chevy and you either have to do extensive firewall mods or a gawd awful body lift.  Swap in the ford and you should be able to get away without a body lift.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

havik [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2008, 09:25:43 AM »
i went to look at a 4.3 yesterday. he is asking $850 for the whole truck. it is in a 94 2wd s10 with front end damage.i didnt know it was a 2wd so i thought it was a steal for $850. motor and trans. but i think i am going to pass. its just bad timing. i dont have much of the top 3 for a swap. (top 3: time, money, space)

kneedownate; i hear you about the front distributor. i would much rather hack my fire wall then do a body lift. but from what i hear the 5.0 suck when it comes to mpg. talked to a guy who said he only gets 15 at best. i have heard of 4.3s getting like 20 mpg.
mine is a dd for now so that is kinda importatnt.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 07, 2008, 12:08:11 PM »
Weird, I've heard just the opposite about the mileage  :dunno:  I take what anybody else says about their mileage with a grain of salt since the people I've known to pregnant dog the most drove like women!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »
but if you use a mustang 5.0 with all that aftermarket support wont you get better milage
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
That's what I've heard in the past  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2008, 08:45:55 AM »
consider  chevy factory oilpan rear sump     ford front sump   chevy more options for trans  swaps with out special or expensive adapters   and a good set of ford heads run chevy valves   and i have not seen any one build a 406 out of a 302 best stroked 302 is eagles 357 kit  u get that with a stock chevy??????

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:36:07 PM »
I can't really give an answer, but here is why I wouldn't run a 5.0 over an SBC/4.3:
1. Parts prices and availability. Chevy parts are available anywhere on the planet, and usually cost less than their ford counterparts.
2. MPG and power. It seems that these go hand in hand with a chevy, but not so with a ford ie; low HP, good MPG and vice-verse.
3. Design and layout of engine and components. This is personal preference. I do NOT like the way ford stuff is engineered. I'm not a huge fan of chevy stuff either, but it's a bit better. I know that people like the front mount distributor, but you could run a points-style distributor with a pertronix unit and have a (reliable) electronic ignition and small footprint.
4. Name. If I swap in a 5.0 I can't call it a toylet. :gap:

I really disgree with all of that. Those are ALL answers that Chevy guys give, because they dont like FORDS. The chevy 350 and ford 302 are priced the same on aftermaket stuff.
Low HP are kinding me. come on stock Mustanf 310hp and 325ft lbs.
I know a front mount distributor is way easier to work on than a rear mount. Old American Iron is very close in engineering, its just preference.
Aftermarket support is all the same. Its like buying a JEEP. The aftermarket is HUGE for both sides.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »
consider  chevy factory oilpan rear sump     ford front sump   chevy more options for trans  swaps with out special or expensive adapters   and a good set of ford heads run chevy valves   and i have not seen any one build a 406 out of a 302 best stroked 302 is eagles 357 kit  u get that with a stock chevy??????

What tranny options are there for chevy that aren't also available for fords?  The valves are a moot point, because you'll be paying for bigger valves no matter what they're supposed to fit.  Only a very vain person would be concerned about stroking it out to 406  :shake:  Numbers are numbers, and there's plenty of power to be had from a stroked 302 if that's what somebody's worried about.  I think dependability is more of an issue.

Edit:  I thought the ford stroker ended up being a 347, not a 357?
RIP KYOTA

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2147
  • Male Posts: 2,339
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:05:09 PM »
consider  chevy factory oilpan rear sump     ford front sump   chevy more options for trans  swaps with out special or expensive adapters   and a good set of ford heads run chevy valves   and i have not seen any one build a 406 out of a 302 best stroked 302 is eagles 357 kit  u get that with a stock chevy??????

compare apples to apples. whats a 351 get stoked to.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

havik [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:18:18 PM »
the arguement about which one is better a chev or a ford is endless. both have their pros and cons.
buy my question is why dont more people swap yota motors for the simple and cheap 5.0? i have seen a few chev swaps be it a 4.3 or a 350 but it seems like there are not many 5.0 swaps. it seems like a good replacement.
they are pretty cheap and vary common.
they are smaller than a 350
they have their distru up front
they look pretty sick (depending on which one you get)
those are the good
the bad
i dont like the tranny options
i dont like that 100 people have not done it. (there must be a reason right? also the more people that have done it the more contacts you have to answer questions.)

havik [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2008, 07:23:28 PM »

i like rabidyotas point
front sump to rear sump
that is something real to think about
thank you rabid

also thank you to all that have posted
you are all helping

91xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »
I like the idea of putting a 5.0 in a toyota....
If I ever get a chance to build an engine for my 89gt (454ci 351w based stroker  :love:) the current 5.0 will definately find its way under the hood of my truck.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  3 in body lift - soon to be removed
  4 in Procomp IFS lift - until parts and $$$ are collected for SAS
  33" Mud Kings
  Auto to 5 speed swap COMPLETE w/ Marlin 1200lb clutch

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:43:09 PM »
now i'll suport the blue volvo   302 and 351w  lighter narrower and shorter than a chevy the frond dist. great  the bigest draw back is the oil pan the pan you will need is out of a fox mustang or order it new from summit   the transmission issue you will need a custom adapter to fit a real 5 spd  the m50d is junk the zf is big block only  ford never had the nv4500   but ford did come stock with a t-18 and t-19  4spds  witch has found there way in to every sawp  if you go auto the c-4 and c-6 have removable bell housings easy to swap    and i goofed on the stroker kit i made it bigger    and i would like to hear that 351 stroked to 454 should be a screemer     there is no replacement for displacement           any input from mopar guys how bout a 318 ??

havik [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:18:28 PM »

if i swap its going to have to be a auto all the way.
i am tired of shifting in traffic and my truck is going to be a family wheeler. it will be easier to teach my son to wheel when he is 8yr on a auto then stick. i know the proc and cons and for "me"  I would much rather have a auto.
never wheeled an auto but it just seems so much more easy.
thanks for the info RabiD

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2008, 11:49:14 PM »
I think I'm getting lazier as I get older, cause I keep looking for rigs with automatics, and if I stick my buick v6 in my rig I want to run a 700r4 behind it.
RIP KYOTA

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2008, 02:44:06 AM »
I think I'm getting lazier as I get older, cause I keep looking for rigs with automatics, and if I stick my buick v6 in my rig I want to run a 700r4 behind it.
I am 19 and i already have an auto, man i feel old
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
now i'll suport the blue volvo   302 and 351w  lighter narrower and shorter than a chevy the frond dist. great  the bigest draw back is the oil pan the pan you will need is out of a fox mustang or order it new from summit

(Just to make a point) I hardley call that a draw back. I mean, you have todo the same when you swap a 3RZ in.  (Unless you happen to get a T-100 version) :idea:

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

havik [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:51:22 PM »
i dont mean to thread jack my self but TacoRunner your rig is the shizzz.
thanks for the info.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2008, 11:06:57 AM »
Thank you. I appreciate that very much. Were did you see the new rear bumper.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2008, 08:39:28 PM »
Whats all this talk about 4.3's and thier distributor being in a bad spot.  I have no problem removing the cap or getting to my sensors behind it, and I didn't do anything to my firewall.  I spend very little time back there.  Are there problems with a Ford distributor that I didn't know about ?  How much time do Ford owners spend playing with thier distributor ?.  I mean do whatever floats your boat and what your comfortable with.  I personally don't spend that much time with the dist. where it has ever become an issue.   :smack: