Author Topic: OIL LEAK 22RE  (Read 6982 times)

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
OIL LEAK 22RE
« on: Nov 22, 2008, 02:08:46 PM »
this same motor http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=51451.0 
ok I was thinking it could be the timing chain hitting the cover but I have never heard what that sounds like before so I'm still not sure.   

Anyway here it is,  I was on my way home from Lemore yesterday ( thats about 45 miles out of fresno ) and I left it in gear a little longer than normaly wile taking off ( maybe over rev? ) and I was pushing it a little harder than usually ( Friday trying to get home ). I started to smell a little bit of oil burning, I thought it was just getting a litttle hotter than normal. ran fine all the way home, got home unloaded and noticed oil on the ground all over and covering the bottom of the truck from front to back. it made a huge mess. 

so this morning I pressure washed it all, and now I cant see where its coming from but its the drivers front of motor and leaking down onto lower radiator hose. I havent yet started to take it apart to get a better look but was wondering if its the cover leaking do to the chain hitting it where dose it normally rub a hole? drivers side or pass? and can anyone explain what it sounds like when the guides are bad?

thanks everyone in advance  :beerchug: 

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: OIL LEAK 22RE
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
Front Oil Seal..........

Get a replacement from Toyota, others start to leak again really soon.

Can be replaced with engine and oil pump in truck.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
To answer your question it rubs on the drivers side. Usually wears into the water passage & leaks water into the oil. Does not usually cause the cover to leak oil to the outside of the engine. It will cause it to rattle like a diesel when the guides are broken.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2008, 07:08:33 PM »
My 4Runner wore a hole on the cover outside of the pump housing, spit oil all over the front and under the truck like you described. Like said in an earlier post kinda sounds like a diesel rattle.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
diesel noise not to be confused with the tappety valves lol. My buddies timing chain sounds like death when he starts it. It really sounds like a bicycle chain being dragged over the timing cover. it usually gets more nasty when you rev the engine higher and is almost silent at idle.

If your engine is clean now start it up and let it idle or take it on a quick drive so some oil will begin to leak that way you can trace it.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2008, 05:46:27 PM »
Yeah it is the oil seal,   

I just called ENGNBLDR and ordered a timing chain kit ( with metal guides ) timing cover, oil pump, cam shaft, and upper gasket kit.   so this weekend I will be tearing into it.   I feel like a little kid waiting for santa  ( santa drives a brown truck )

Joey88RUNR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Male Posts: 1,057
  • Member since Feb '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
you can get the exact same thing they are gonna send you from EB at sebring west, here in fresno :twocents:
SaS'd Dual ultimate crawler w/5.29s Aussie front/detriot Rear, 35's Mtr's with kevlar

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
If there is a groove worn into the crank where the seal rides the new seal may leak. If that is the case you can buy a redisleeve or speedisleeve from NAPA . Looks something like this
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2008, 06:54:57 PM »
If there is a groove worn into the crank where the seal rides the new seal may leak. If that is the case you can buy a redisleeve or speedisleeve from NAPA .

I believe the new replacement seals aren't as thick as the original (depending on year).....

You can then position the replacement seal in the oil pump (vary the depth insertion) so the lip isn't in the groove and you'll be fine.
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

bkubisht

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since May '05
  • Just crawling around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2008, 08:04:09 PM »
I believe the new replacement seals aren't as thick as the original (depending on year).....

You can then position the replacement seal in the oil pump (vary the depth insertion) so the lip isn't in the groove and you'll be fine.

That's what I was thinking...
http://home.earthlink.net/~twopapa/toytech.htm#seal