Author Topic: vibes with flat belly  (Read 3906 times)

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
vibes with flat belly
« on: Nov 11, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »
so i got bored and cut my floor up for the flat belly.... im curious how many of you run a flat belly on and dd on the road... im curious if it will behave well going 70-75 down the freeway with the tcase output that high up there... no i am not going to lift my engine....
rest in peace Effay

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: vibes with flat belly
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »
lifting the rear of the tcase that much  will be just like lifting the truck that much as far as the rear shaft is concerned

i would think it would definetly vibe but :dunno:

maybe drop it a inch :dunno:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:40:01 AM »
Lifting the motor with make for a better angle at the rear of the case, but you said you didn't want to do that... :dunno:

Do you have a CV on the rear driveline?
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »
The problem I see is that the rear output on the transer case will be angled slightly up.  This will required additional angles of operation for the u-joint.  It looks like you have an extended cab so you may have a long enough wheel base to make it work.  The more angle in the u-joint the faster they wear.  Also, you won't be able to match the pinion flange angle so you'll need a CV style shaft.

I don't consider a flat belly a DD type of mod, but I'm sure it can be done.  :thumbs:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:17:46 PM »
mines flatbellied but i dont dd it...you will definetly have more vibrations if your solid mounting your crossmember to the frame...ever since i did mine ive had interesting noises coming from the tranny and t-cases. i added a little more gear oil to the tranny and t-cases and it seemed to help a little. im not sure if its an oiling issue or what??  im also not running cv's at all front or rear so those might help with the vibs too. im not sure if i would go completly flat with the frame if your dd it, and if you dont want to lift your motor mounts.

let me tell you it will help out if you do a lot of rock crawling  :beerchug:  :twocents:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,060
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:24:30 PM »
...ever since i did mine ive had interesting noises coming from the tranny and t-cases. i added a little more gear oil to the tranny and t-cases and it seemed to help a little. im not sure if its an oiling issue or what??

Are you saying that you eliminated the rubber mount that goes between the t-case and cross-member?  If so, I would expect a horrible amount of vibrations as it would be similar to eliminating the rubber mounts on the exhaust.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008, 12:33:26 PM »
Are you saying that you eliminated the rubber mount that goes between the t-case and cross-member?  If so, I would expect a horrible amount of vibrations as it would be similar to eliminating the rubber mounts on the exhaust.

yep i made a whole new crossmember with spring bushings instead of the stock rubber mounts..it vibrates but it not that bad...if you got a lot of stuff in the glove box it gets kinda annoying.

edit: here's a pic

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »
i do have a tacoma to dd but i also want to cruz this thing around and i hate vibrations.... plan on making a crossmember essentially just like that one... thats how i had it visualized almost  to a t haha
rest in peace Effay

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2008, 06:24:02 PM »
it will be fine.  Yota4life drive his on the road and it is a short bed single cab with a flat belly.

toyotaboy [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2008, 06:25:44 PM »
right on.... ill figure it out and make it work.... or have some vibes :)
rest in peace Effay