Author Topic: Laminate or Engineered wood floor  (Read 3586 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Laminate or Engineered wood floor
« on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »
Any experience with either?  What is the true difference?  I'm looking to put this floor in my kitchen/eating area/front entry, and I'm not entirely sure which to get.  Go figure, the sales person wasn't much help  ::)
I know I'm going the cheap route, but I can't afford the expensive stuff, and this isn't a long term home for me anyway.  I want something that will last 10 years at least, and look good with the proper care. 

Here's what I'm looking at
Engineered:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101410-972-ABC3201&lpage=none

Laminate:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=56306-30029-D1359WG/PR&lpage=none

Ignore the prices, they're higher online than in stores.  The laminate is roughly .30 cheaper per sq foot, but If the engineered is better, I'll go with that.

What do you think?  BTW, this will be going on a wood subfloor, and be high traffic.  It will also be exposed to water (tracking in snow, spills in the kitchen, etc.) and it will also have the dog walking/running on it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
Re: Laminate or Engineered wood floor
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:17:54 PM »
well I have a model house for the stuff LOL.

I have costco laminate (cheapest you can get with a coupon, less than $1/ft^2) in the bedrooms, same brand laminate from a flooring place in my family room (I didn't know about costco), engineered stuff in the kitchen, and the real deal 3/4" thick oak in the hall, and living room/entry.

The costco stuff is the best bang for the buck hands down, and I have (had :( ) 3 dogs, and two insane kids that track dirt/sand etc into the house. I would actually say next is the real deal stuff - just cause it is..

So anyway, the laminite is fine. From what I have seen it is practically all the same company so the stuff is practically all the same. Wood subfloor is actually good - you don't need the vapor barrior but you will want the padding still (unless you get the stuff with padding built in). You will need a 12" chop saw or a smaller sliding one. I just picked up an el cheapo from harbor freight and it did the job. It's sort of like legos - easy to install ;)

Engineered is a PIA to install IMHO, not worth it..
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2008, 09:25:37 PM by Brandon »
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

toyotamobing

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -8
  • Male Posts: 1,244
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Poly Performance
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:38:21 PM »
i installed the engineered stuff in my house and it was fairly easy. and it looks good and is easy to clean. the hardest part is cutting to fit around corners and stick outs
1996 Tacoma 3rz auto 4x4
1993 Jeep XJ 2 door 5spd 4cyl 4x4
1996 Dodge 3500 12V 5spd 4x4

@alteredegospeedshop

MAKING A SLOW TRUCK GO FAST SINCE 2003

!!POLY GOATS!!
www.polygoats.com

POLY PERFORMANCE
www.polyperformance.com

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Check out http://www.lumberliquidators.com/home.jsp real wood for near the price of laminate or engineered flooring. Bellawood has a 50 year warranty!

Not to put down choices others have made...but, laminate flooring is the very, very entry level product...basically a Formica floor. Engineered flooring is only slightly more desirable. It still has the "Formica-ish" top veneer, but instead of being on MDF (or similar) it's on plywood.

Depending, of course, on which species of wood you choose Lumber Liquidators may even be less than the other choices.

Real wood will also carry a MUCH higher resale value and for craps sake...it's 1/2", 5/8" or 3/4" (my choice) real wood vs 5/16 or 3/8 build up.

Always buy the best you can afford...it will show in the long run.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:34:32 PM »
:thumbs: thanks guys!  :gap:

AB, If this was going to be my long term house, I would be going with the real wood for sure.  I've been to lumber liquidators here in reno before, wasn't really impressed with their prices, but I didn't poke around the website at all.  I'll have to take a gander, see if its worth it. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
That is where I got my last 3/4" thick wood and it was pretty crappy, out of 3x what I needed I had to pick through it to get enough - that place gets all the stuff nobody else wants..

Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »
we have pergo and have been pretty happy with it, it resists me tracking in oil and crap from the garage
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 30, 2008, 07:09:50 AM »
That is where I got my last 3/4" thick wood and it was pretty crappy, out of 3x what I needed I had to pick through it to get enough - that place gets all the stuff nobody else wants..

You do know there are different grades...right?

I've put in in 4 houses over the last 3 years...never a problem. Just don't buy "utility" grade.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2008, 07:16:40 AM »
You do know there are different grades...right?

I've put in in 4 houses over the last 3 years...never a problem. Just don't buy "utility" grade.

Yea, I know the grades but apparently the grades aren't what they used to be. It wasn't the knots and runs it was that none were flat and they were all twisted..
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2008, 09:40:21 AM »
Jason, I've acutally put together one of the wood engineered floors - If you're down for a DIY project vs. hiring someone, we can probably pull it off in a weekend :dunno: Just a thought. 

I don't like laminate - too easy to mess up.  At least with wood you can sand it/stain it. Maybe I've got the complete wrong idea about laminate vs. engineered :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 30, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »
Jason, I've acutally put together one of the wood engineered floors - If you're down for a DIY project vs. hiring someone, we can probably pull it off in a weekend :dunno: Just a thought. 

I don't like laminate - too easy to mess up.  At least with wood you can sand it/stain it. Maybe I've got the complete wrong idea about laminate vs. engineered :headscratch:

I never planned on hiring anyone.  I've helped with a laminate floor, and I've done real wood before, working for a flooring guy.  However, with the flooring guy, I only did real wood, vinyl, and tile, never did laminate or engineered.

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2008, 01:36:56 PM »
I never planned on hiring anyone.  I've helped with a laminate floor, and I've done real wood before, working for a flooring guy.  However, with the flooring guy, I only did real wood, vinyl, and tile, never did laminate or engineered.

:outtahere:

I don't know the diff between engineered and wood - they look the same according to the pics.  Sorry!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 30, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »
laminate is essentally a wood veneer with a fiberboard backing.  Engineered is a few thin layers of wood (the wood surface you want on top, glued to a think piece of plywood, glued to another thin piece of plywood or fiberboard.) glued together, and real wood is just that, real wood planking or strips. 

-Ronald Reagan

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 30, 2008, 02:04:11 PM »
If you have a large dog its claws will damage engineered.   Although I do not care for the look of laminate it holds up to pets much better.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Oct 30, 2008, 02:06:14 PM »
laminate is essentally a wood veneer with a fiberboard backing.  Engineered is a few thin layers of wood (the wood surface you want on top, glued to a think piece of plywood, glued to another thin piece of plywood or fiberboard.) glued together, and real wood is just that, real wood planking or strips. 

Alright, that's what we did - the real wood strips/planking.  Sorry I's confused :screwy:

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2008, 05:51:17 PM »
2 votes for Costco lam.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

RTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since May '06
  • XX-CAB
    • View Profile
    • Brawler site
« Reply #16 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:43:07 PM »
If you have a large dog its claws will damage engineered.   Although I do not care for the look of laminate it holds up to pets much better.

?
So. Cal. ROCK BRAWLERS

RTA

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 423
  • Member since May '06
  • XX-CAB
    • View Profile
    • Brawler site
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2008, 07:47:17 PM »
Go with the engineered, unless you can afford solid...
So. Cal. ROCK BRAWLERS

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »
i installed about 400 sq ft of laminate flooring in my kitchen and living/dining area.  it was very easy to install and i am surprised at its duarability.  it has never chipped or broke and i have only found one gouge in it that was from something very heavy.  the only downfall is that you cannot refinish it like real wood.  but if you are looking for something easy and looks good (and you wont be staying in that house permanently) i say go for the laminate!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 01, 2008, 01:45:20 PM »
i  but if you are looking for something easy and looks good (and you wont be staying in that house permanently) i say go for the laminate!

Pretty much what I am looking for.  I don't want to screw the next owners, or put in a floor that won't last more than a few years, but I need to replace the stained carpet and green marble looking vinyl squares that are there now.  I guess I'm just looking at the best bang for my buck :gap:

-Ronald Reagan

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2008, 10:26:54 PM »
Jason,

In my very humble opinion, you should go with the engineered. You've been to my house (not that I really expect you to remeber the floor) but with a decent engineered floor, it looks identical to "real wood", and until you pull it up, there is little or no way to tell the difference. the engineered stuff is actually "tougher" than real wood, unless you go with some exotic hardwood, which none of us could afford.

I think the laminate stuff looks fake, and so far I have not seen one yet that looks remotely real. If your doing it around the washer/dryer, prolly not going to make a difference, but if your doing it in a "social area", spend the few extra $$ and go with something that will not only last, but will look fairly good in the process.

Just my $0.02

Erik
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2008, 06:23:49 PM »
I also would go for real wood.  Because the Pergo or similar laminated stuff is basically fancy wood textured linoleum and will eventually wear through or fail.  Real wood, otoh, can be sanded and polished for dozens of decades.  But it's not completely waterproof.(I'm assuming you'd water seal it somehow of course)   

Buyers later on always want real wood if they can get it as well.   $3 a square foot is like money in the bank when you sell.  Shoot, good carpet can run almost that much...

ROCKO

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:12:07 PM »
laminate: laminate is a picture printed on a piece of vinear (spell check please) it is much more durable then any hardwood floors out there on the market (besides cumaru hardwood) it is very scratch resistent will not fad in the sunlight...very good product....

downside: if you spill something on it it will begin to buckle if left over long period of time also will dent pretty bad if something heavy is dropped on it...(very easy fix)
 i would recommend you to use the 2-1 moisture pad (a good one) to prevent any moisture coming up from the subfloor since you live where it snows. it to could cause problems from the bottoms of the subfloor if any moisture come up from below (buckling)
hardwood:enigneered hardwood is a very durable product not to far behind laminate and the reason is it has a very small wear layer on the top of a piece of plywood (plywood durable) it to could buckle when water is involved. enigneered flooring was developed for the customer that is on concrete slab (which 90% of house are now) its is very durable to moisture coming up from the subfloor or slab. you still need to install some kind of moisture burrier (warrenty reasons) craft paper works well. the nice thing about enigneered flooring is you could fix the scratch and other easier then laminate.(you could fix laminate with a color putty pin or just remove the board and install new)...
as far as 3/4 solid wood goes it nice looks cool but to expensive for what you could get a good laminate or enigneered floor for now a days.......

if it was me i would defently go laminate all the way with a good underlayment (silent step or whatever the company offers) the reason is you said you want it to last 10 years tops. any laminate will last that long if you do not spill crap on it and leave it there for long periods of time. laminate will last longer and still look good.

the difference from lam. and hardwood is ones fake and one is real
ones more durable then the other but both easy to fix....

ask me how i know (i inspect floors for a living and work for the biggest flooring company in the bay area) ive already had a couple of beers so i hope this helps you out :thumbs:

edit: you could only screen and refinish enigneered floor once or twice till it crap and 10 years you will get your money out of laminate floors over wood any day.
whatever you choose get a box extra for repair in the future

edit: www.floorstores.com check out how much laminate actual looks like hardwood floors now you could barely tell the difference and if you want take a little drive to the bay area i have laminate at my work in stock i could hook you up for like$1.00 a sq.ft. and its way better then the crap at lowes and costco.....pm me if you want and let me know what moldings and crap you need so its only one trip down.....
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2008, 07:42:08 PM by ROCKO »
JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:44:37 PM »
:thumbs: thanks guys!  :yesnod:  I actually wound up going for the laminate flooring, for many of the reasons ROCKO mentioned.  I did get a moisture barrier/pad for it, and I think it'll turn out pretty nice. 

I don't plan on staying in this house forever, so I don't want to pour a lot of money into it making it the way I want.  Eventually, in my "permanent" home, I'll put in real wood, nice cabinets and countertops, etc., but for now, I want something that will last well, and look decent.  It does look fake, but I'm ok with that, I like the design :gap: 

I spent some time with a fairly knowledgable sales lady at lowes the other day, and she was able to demonstrate the durability of the laminate vs. the engineered wood.  she took some sample sections of both, and did a few drop tests and scratch tests, and the laminate actually did hold up better.  With a fairly energetic dog, and plans to get another one fairly soon, I was happy to see that the laminate withheld scratching well, and actually looked pretty good when repaired as well.  She gave me some tips for maintaining it, and I think I'm going to be very happy with my decision.  :gap:  I am so far, that stack of boxes looks real nice in my living room :hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 11, 2008, 07:48:24 PM »
:worthless:

now get to work bud. :whip:

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 11, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »
:haha:  I've been painting my house recently, I'll get some pics in the next few days.  Its not done, but its getting there.

:worthless:

now get to work bud. :whip:

-Ronald Reagan