Author Topic: Pinion Angle Help!!!!  (Read 5295 times)

Yotaman80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 384
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Pinion Angle Help!!!!
« on: Oct 24, 2008, 08:33:34 PM »
I put a lift on my truck and i picked the 6 inch spring and 2 inch shackles (which i will never do again) for a total of 8 inchs. its the All Pro kit. it put it all on and noticed the pinion angle so borrowed my buddy lenghtened driveshaft and it bearly bolts up but wont turn more that a 1/4 turn. is there ant alterative to cut and turing the knuckles or i heard you can put a high pinion too. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks
80 Mini Truck-6" springs, Custom Cab Cage, 5150 Bilsteins, 5.29 Yukons, Aussie Locked, Warn M8000, 35"MTRs 5-Points, Diff Breathers, Sliders, Custom Front and Rear bumpers thanks to FATKID
Build Up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50320.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Pinion Angle Help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2008, 09:05:54 PM »
get rid of the shackles on the front, thats your biggest problem

are the front hangers stock or did you get the drop front hanger?? if not you need to, this will greatly improve your pinion angle
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
TOO MUCH LIFT

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2008, 09:39:46 PM »
You need to run a drop hanger in the front, a HP front will help, If you ran duel cases that would help as well... It might come down to needing to do a cut and turn, but first I would do the above....    :twocents:

Post up some pics...  Running a CV joint on your DL will help as well....
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2008, 10:20:02 PM »
front shafts are over rated

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:09:46 AM »
Shackles are fine, the springs are made for a monster truck not a trail rig.....  :hahaha:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:28:48 AM »
that is a huge amount of lift... thats why you are having binding issues, my friend did that on his truck.....

he is also running dual cases and also used all pro's drop front hanger as well

i think he may have a cv front shaft but i am not sure

check out his truck, do a search for thebeast8888
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2008, 12:32:19 AM »
:imwithstupid:

:spit:  hey now, I won't be running one for a while either, but the welded rear should help a little  :gap:

Is it the first gen in your pic, which looks to be a short bed?  I'll be setting up my lift on my long bed first gen soon and am trying to fit 35s with 2-3" lift.  I have a set of 87 2wd rears or top 2 leafs from a 4" marlin set.  The rears will move the axle forward 2" and help me clear the body, but if I go with the marlins I'll have to get the sky axle reloacating kit to push the axle forward a little.  Either way, I'll be staying fairly low and hopefully will not have the issues you are with driveline angle.  Just like building a deck or patio, it's always a good idea to do your research first and account for all possibilities  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:31:18 PM »
dam i sold the front drop hanger that came with the kit.

amen to that brother

Yep its an 80 short bed

Ill post up some pics soon.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50320.msg635010#msg635010
80 Mini Truck-6" springs, Custom Cab Cage, 5150 Bilsteins, 5.29 Yukons, Aussie Locked, Warn M8000, 35"MTRs 5-Points, Diff Breathers, Sliders, Custom Front and Rear bumpers thanks to FATKID

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »

GREAT excuse to purchase a dual kit and a Marlin rebuilt W56 !!  Then ya won't have any pinion issues!  :D

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

hammer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »
a cheap quick fix would be to cut yourself some extra big shims to put between the springs and spring pads.  Or maybe just use two hatchet heads as shims  jk.........     Obviously dont go too big or you wil have steering problems
hopefully your pinion angle will improve a little after the srpings start relax
good luck....allpro has caused me problems too
The Toyota recalls are  conspiracies created by the government to protect and promote their investments (GM and Chrysler).
Im not joking

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:38:34 PM »
dual cases and a new tranny sound like a plan to me. the cases are in the works and im waiting on some money to get a tranny. thanks for the input guys

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:47:32 PM »
Put a drop hanger on the front and dual cases. That should solve your problem.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2008, 09:49:19 PM »
Oh and if your gonna put the longer tranny in it, I have a G52 for sale here in Modesto,CA

"bout tree fiddy"

krout

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:16:20 PM »
  If you don't mind me asking why did you choose to go with All Pro's biggest lift? What size tires are you planning on running? I know that they recommend running their front hanger with anything over their 4" lift kit (using 1.5" over stock shackles). Anything under you can scrape by without having to install it. If for some reason you can't do the dual cases i would say just drastically reduce the amount of lift.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 29, 2008, 11:21:26 PM »
you sold the drop hanger that came with the kit?!

you should look into getting another front drop hanger, moving the front mount point down will help a great deal with the pinion angle
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #16 on: Oct 30, 2008, 10:21:56 AM »
I did a 3" Ruf up front on a 1st gen and had a terrible pinion angle.  I can see why 8" doesn't work at all.  I'm not sure how the 5" lifts get past this.  1st gens just have a terribly short front d-line.  The longer tranny and doubler went in at the same time and I have no more pinion angle issues.  (I'm not sure if just one or the other is enough for your application..)

Depending on the wheeling you do, you can chew up your stock front hanger mounts quickly.   (Rock crawling is hard on junk)

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 31, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
yah i guess i didnt read all the install instuction and i sold the hanger a couple of weeks ago. im think about duals and a hp diff. that looks like it should work.

If you don't mind me asking why did you choose to go with All Pro's biggest lift? What size tires are you planning on running? I know that they recommend running their front hanger with anything over their 4" lift kit (using 1.5" over stock shackles). Anything under you can scrape by without having to install it. If for some reason you can't do the dual cases i would say just drastically reduce the amount of lift.

everyone keeps asking what size tire i plan on running is about 35s to 37s. i listen to a friend who bought the same lift and i like the way it looked. i know it over kill for those tire but the next build up ill do no more that a 4" lift. i guess you live and you learn from your mistakes.

dropzone

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Drive a 1st Gen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2008, 04:14:26 AM »
bet you had fun getting those spring sin there w/o that front spring hanger :qtip:...
81 Toyota Trekker 221:1
build thread: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=86346.0

1994 4Runner - Long Term Expedition type Build

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »
bet you had fun getting those spring sin there w/o that front spring hanger :qtip:...

Why would it be any different than if the hanger was on the truck?? They'd still bolt up fine.

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »

i take it you have never done a lift be for. why would they be any different than an aftermarket one then it wouldnt work. it wouldnt line up with the perches or shackles duhhhhhhhh :hammer: :hammer:

1983bamayota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Nov '08
  • gettin ready for easter run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2008, 03:13:04 AM »
looks good build it how you want, and don't listen to them hahaha

hasbeen

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2008, 05:22:34 AM »
i take it you have never done a lift be for. why would they be any different than an aftermarket one then it wouldnt work. it wouldnt line up with the perches or shackles duhhhhhhhh :hammer: :hammer:

Wow, really?  Coming from the guy that sold his drop hanger.

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:07:30 AM »
 :funny:   :imwithstupid:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:53:36 AM »
um BECAUSE, the  lifted springs when about halfway compressed will bind because you didnt move the front hanger forward  to compensate for the longer springs
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:13:29 PM »
my springs have no problem with bind at all. they flex all the way til it hit the body mounts.

how would the front hanger move the springs forward when the springs are the same eye to eye as the stock ones? or i would had to relocate the front shackle hangers too.

and whats with all the haters out there.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:22:38 PM »
um BECAUSE, the  lifted springs when about halfway compressed will bind because you didnt move the front hanger forward  to compensate for the longer springs

All 3 of the trucks I have built, I welded the aftermarket spring hanger flush with the stock front crossmember and none of them have ever had binding issues.

"bout tree fiddy"

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2008, 02:24:12 PM »
my springs have no problem with bind at all. they flex all the way til it hit the body mounts.

how would the front hanger move the springs forward when the springs are the same eye to eye as the stock ones? or i would had to relocate the front shackle hangers too.

and whats with all the haters out there.

Front drop hanger is designed to mount two ways. First is stock location of spring mount hole. Turn it around and the hole is forward from stock. This application pulls the leaf springs about 1.5 inches forward. Mounting it this way also reduces the possibility of your shackles bottoming against the body mounts. Sky's bannana shackles help cure this.

How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com

Yotaman80 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2008, 05:29:20 PM »
the reason they hit the body mounts was beacuse i had no shock on when i flexed it out the first time. im going to notch the body mounts anyways and gusset the else where. ivent tryed it with the shock on yet but ill will soon.

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2008, 06:51:34 PM »
Don't expect the shocks to act as bumpstops. You will eventually ruin them.
How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com